Silly season- Jeremy Cameron (update: has re-signed with GWS, thread now discussing Treloar)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we could get him for $1m/year for 5 I'd do it. Anything more is too risky.
I don't agree. Still unproven. To risky. Would upset players who are better..

When did the last team with a million dollar player win a grand final??? Look at buddy Hawks lost him and sydney gained him but his huge price tag still didn't get them over the line..

I don't believe paying any player that much unless they are an ablett

When did the last team with a million dollar player win a grand final??? Look at buddy Hawks lost him and sydney gained him but his huge price tag still didn't get them over the line..

I'd normally agree but we're seeing more and more players move onto 4~5 year contracts, and I think he fits into the bracket of players that are being offered that. Half of the $1M will be covered by the increase of TPP in 5 years at least (assuming hypothetically we don't increase everyone elses wage of course), and if you work back from there a decent % will be covered by TPP increases annually.

Furthermore we actually need someone like him to /be/ a premiership contender in the first place. The difference between us and Sydney is that they didn't need Buddy in order to get to Grand Final's. For us, we need someone to replace Cloke within two years I'd say, so it's a matter of patience and forming our own superstar KPF (hopefully Moore) which means about a four or five year wait, or purchasing one on the market (ie. Cameron).

His played 58 games and averaged 24 possesion. With 20 games this year averaging 27. He is definitely proven.

Apart from Swan, Pendlebury and Sidebottom our other mids aren't better then him.

Unless you're trading into a rare talent, position-wise, forget about it. Costs too much.

Everyone always talks about paying-overs for bringing a quality player in which also suggests you get better value trading one out. Unless you get a quality player through free-agency, it's generally better to be an exporter than importer. A club like Collingwood can play that long game and do better.

Unless you're trading into a rare talent, position-wise, forget about it. Costs too much.

Everyone always talks about paying-overs for bringing a quality player in which also suggests you get better value trading one out. Unless you get a quality player through free-agency, it's generally better to be an exporter than importer. A club like Collingwood can play that long game and do better.

I'd argue that Jeremy Cameron is a rare talent, but generally I agree, sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue that Jeremy Cameron is a rare talent, but generally I agree, sure.

Hence why I said 'rare talent, position wise'.

In any event it probably costs too much for Cameron. He was a Pie fan so the romance is there but there will be Cameron's, Tippett's, McGovern's every couple of years. Wait for them to jump into the boat, don't shoot your bolt early and overpay for them.

The thing about GWS is that they have so many good young players coming out of contact this year that if they have a crap start, we will have more than just the top shelf stars like Cameron and Treloar to dream of getting.

Shiels and others haven't signed up either.

Unproven? The kid kicked over 60 goals in his second year, in the worst team in the comp. Even last year he managed to still kick over 2 goals per game whilst battling injury (which is better than what Cloke did last year battling injuries FYI).

How much more does he need to prove?

I'm not advocating paying any player $1 million per year, but the kid is going to be the premier forward of the comp for the next decade, and he has the runs on the board to back that statement up after only 3 years in the system.

Unproven? The kid kicked over 60 goals in his second year, in the worst team in the comp. Even last year he managed to still kick over 2 goals per game whilst battling injury (which is better than what Cloke did last year battling injuries FYI).

How much more does he need to prove?

I'm not advocating paying any player $1 million per year, but the kid is going to be the premier forward of the comp for the next decade, and he has the runs on the board to back that statement up after only 3 years in the system.
Totally agree Apex. If Boyd paid roughly 1 mio a year for 7 years, on a relative performance record Cameron would be worth 2 mio a year. I think GWS have done very well if they have locked him in for less than 1 mio a year which papers are saying. A rare talent who could plsy as a tall midfielder such is his speed and mobility. Likes to hit packs hard and a beautiful kick. He is an absolute jet.

I'd normally agree but we're seeing more and more players move onto 4~5 year contracts, and I think he fits into the bracket of players that are being offered that. Half of the $1M will be covered by the increase of TPP in 5 years at least (assuming hypothetically we don't increase everyone elses wage of course), and if you work back from there a decent % will be covered by TPP increases annually.

Furthermore we actually need someone like him to /be/ a premiership contender in the first place. The difference between us and Sydney is that they didn't need Buddy in order to get to Grand Final's. For us, we need someone to replace Cloke within two years I'd say, so it's a matter of patience and forming our own superstar KPF (hopefully Moore) which means about a four or five year wait, or purchasing one on the market (ie. Cameron).

You need more then 1 kpf to stop the bs tripple teams cloke enjoys.

The 2nd may not have to be a star but he has to be at least solid and dangerous in his own right.

Danger is a lock for Geelong and we are only going to be used by his manager to get as much out of Geelong as possible.
Why? Because he grew up there?

I think Taylor Adams has already proven that theory is bollocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back