Snoops Annual Player Review, List and Draft Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

There are only two players in the frame for this in my mind.

Ramsay - shown some signs, but as of yet, has not had his contract extended. Would be getting nervous.

Armstrong - debate as to whether he is on a one or two year deal. Doesn't seem to be any articles on his deal length. If he is on a 2 year deal I would be surprised. Like Jordan Russell, he was only recruited as depth, and those types of players are expendable if a better prospect comes along.

For me it comes down to Armstrongs contract. If he's on 2 years, then it's likely Ramsay will be delisted and maybe rookied. If it's a one year contract then it's 50/50.
From an improvement perspective, Ramsay has a lot more upside than Armstrong, who has been a depth player only for near on a decade now. If Armstrong is delisted then I think that will be it for him.

Yep pretty plausible way to look at it.

Frankly not convinced either will make it but I'd probably back in Ramsay as is younger but they seem very wary of the ager profile of their list and the senior bodies floating around.

In some ways I wonder whether you don't punt both of them and use of the selections for Taylor Hunt and the other for Sam Blease or Jason Tutt. All of which I think I would rate higher than those 2.

Shouldn't be any issues there. Couldn't see anyone another club would actually want. Freeman, shazza and Elliot the only ones. Shazza shouldn't be a problem as he's played 0 games by this time next year so would expect he'll sign on early. Same with freeman. Could see some clubs throwing $$$ at Jamie, but given he's our poster boy for the next 10 years (dale Thomas style) would expect the club to look after him well.

Imagine the outrage on this board if shazza did request to go home after 2 years and 0 games lol

For depth, speed and age surely T Hunt has to be on our radar? Was known at his best to be a good tagged as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with that. I'd have him in. Be interesting whether the Capt ever copped him and how well he did. I think clubs may hold off as the same ones would be looking at Panos, Newton, Lucas, Robinson etc as well. There's a couple of handy fringe blokes around this year.

As mentioned previously the mercenary in me says if you put Ramsay and Armstrong in with some of those above would they be in the top 2. Not sure either are. A contract can be paid out and it wouldn't be a great deal. In saying that I don't like doing it and be happy to keep them but I don't see either being in our best 22 unless a lot of inj.

If just ranking the top 2 I'd have Hunt and Panos or Newton personally.

I'd like Blakely at #30 and just don't understand why people don't rate him so be interested in yours. Did you see his WAFL performances late in the year?
Tell you the truth I haven't seen that much of Blakely, so my opinion of him is somewhat ignorant. From what I've seen however, he's certainly not polished and may lack poise but does look like a real hard worker - a good in and under and contested ball winner type player. The sort of mid who could possibly play a defensive role or as a defensive forward if need be too.... I guess I've been looking further down the list of prospects for elite midfielders and have probably been looking for explosive 'X' factor/line breaker type players to fill our 30 & 48 picks.

By the way.. we're a month out now.. Got an ETA of your phantom?

Varcoe maybe, Armstrong though? We only played him as a last resort this year. I can't see him getting games ahead of any kids.
If that was Buckley's attitude then Armstrong would have been in the side for round 1 ahead of Langdon.

With Toovey returning off the back of his knee that spot was earmarked for whoever performed better of Oxley and Langdon. Oxley's ankle put paid to that...

He got games over Ramsay prior to that late run of injuries. Buckley wants to remain finals relevant so will go with Armstrong over the youth at times next year.

I'm like a broken record on Varcoe so I won't comment on him.

I actually watched every Pies game at least twice this season.
Gotta love Foxtel.

Anyway, this is a thread about player reviews, so lets get it back on topic.

Actually Martin Clarke had our highest disposal efficiency, followed by Keeffe and then TA.

The common thread is to play an untra-unaccountable game off the half back flank, then chip or kick the ball sideways to some bloke in an inferior position who's unattended (you can even * the kick up and it will still be deemed 'effective').

All 3 players are s**t (yes Keeffe lovers...I went there!).

Tell you the truth I haven't seen that much of Blakely, so my opinion of him is somewhat ignorant. From what I've seen however, he's certainly not polished and may lack poise but does look like a real hard worker - a good in and under and contested ball winner type player. The sort of mid who could possibly play a defensive role or as a defensive forward if need be too.... I guess I've been looking further down the list of prospects for elite midfielders and have probably been looking for explosive 'X' factor/line breaker type players to fill our 30 & 48 picks.

By the way.. we're a month out now.. Got an ETA of your phantom?

I have just finished most of the bios but will probably wait until 31 Oct list lodgements if not til the 6-8th. Approached it a bit differently this year and threw up some surprises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interested in whether you think we should be getting any of the delisted players in as primary list or rookie.

Some of the ones floating around are;

Shawn McKernan - poor mans Mitch Clarke?
Sam Blease - Buckley said he wants 'speed'
Taylor Hunt - Caf out for the year…..he won't ready Rd 1
Kane Lucas - elite runner???
Mitch Robinson - has a mature body
Ben Newton - was getting a game towards the end of the year in Ports midfield!

Newton and funnily enough Lucas interest me. The rest are bleh.
Newton isn't a DFA as he was offered a contract and didn't sign.
He needs to go via the draft.

Last edited:
Be interested in whether you think we should be getting any of the delisted players in as primary list or rookie.

Some of the ones floating around are;

Shawn McKernan - poor mans Mitch Clarke?
Sam Blease - Buckley said he wants 'speed'
Taylor Hunt - Caf out for the year…..he won't ready Rd 1
Kane Lucas - elite runner???
Mitch Robinson - has a mature body
Ben Newton - was getting a game towards the end of the year in Ports midfield!

Shawn McKernan - Potentially yes! Coming of age for a ruck/fwd who could support/back up Wittsy & Grundy that would replace Huddo/Lynchee. More affordable than Clarke who is a bit of a risk anyway.
Sam Blease - Not sure if his speed outwiegh the negatives? Lots of injuries and inconsistent. Probably Pass
Taylor Hunt - Could do the job for Caff, but thats about it. My question is do we REALYY NEED HIM? That's my arguement. I think I'd much prefer to take short term pain by giving a younger guy a chance in this area.
Kane Lucas - Has potential but very inconsistent. I also think I'd prefer to give another youngster a go rather than taking another chance on a guy thats had his chance and around mid 20's. List Clogger for mine.
Mitch Robinson - Pass - Don't think he'd fit Buck's player profile unfortunately... Maybe GWS could be bmore suited? ;)
Ben Newton - Feel sorry for the lad. Hard to break into the midfield. I don't know that much about him. But, yes, a good age and definitely a possibility!

Critical to replace the onfield defensive leadership that we lost in Maxwell too. Probably why I like Lever. Regardless of that, I think we'll pick up an elite mid with pick 5 anyway. I'd also like to see the club pick up at least one draftee (out of 30 or 48) that's ready to hit the ground running with ability to play seniors next year. Other than that I'd be happy to see them draft a longer term project player too.

Shawn McKernan - Potentially yes! Coming of age for a ruck/fwd who could support/back up Wittsy & Grundy that would replace Huddo/Lynchee. More affordable than Clarke who is a bit of a risk anyway.
Sam Blease - Not sure if his speed outwiegh the negatives? Lots of injuries and inconsistent. Probably Pass
Taylor Hunt - Could do the job for Caff, but thats about it. My question is do we REALYY NEED HIM? That's my arguement. I think I'd much prefer to take short term pain by giving a younger guy a chance in this area.
Kane Lucas - Has potential but very inconsistent. I also think I'd prefer to give another youngster a go rather than taking another chance on a guy thats had his chance and around mid 20's. List Clogger for mine.
Mitch Robinson - Pass - Don't think he'd fit Buck's player profile unfortunately... Maybe GWS could be bmore suited? ;)
Ben Newton - Feel sorry for the lad. Hard to break into the midfield. I don't know that much about him. But, yes, a good age and definitely a possibility!

Critical to replace the onfield defensive leadership that we lost in Maxwell too. Probably why I like Lever. Regardless of that, I think we'll pick up an elite mid with pick 5 anyway. I'd also like to see the club pick up at least one draftee (out of 30 or 48) that's ready to hit the ground running with ability to play seniors next year. Other than that I'd be happy to see them draft a longer term project player too.

Well the two I think who could do walk in from #30 and #48 are Matt Panos who would be a walk up start into our 22 to play as a mid / HF. His issue he didn't test and there are some questions around can he run the 15km required for a mid at AFL level as opposed to the 10-12km for state league game. This was Kyle Martins problem. Am told Panos at 12-13km per game so he is borderline.

The other is Shane Yarran who is an ex con and came up from bush to play WAFL this year and killed it. I reckon am a reasonable pick of state league talent and have previously talked up Lobb, Dwyer, Frost, martin, Smith and Hibberd before became fashionable to. I reckon the next one is Shane Yarran. If he has the temperament to move and cope then he would near walk into a fwd pkt in our side and be outstanding underneath Cloke. He played well in big games over there as well.

Well the two I think who could do walk in from #30 and #48 are Matt Panos who would be a walk up start into our 22 to play as a mid / HF. His issue he didn't test and there are some questions around can he run the 15km required for a mid at AFL level as opposed to the 10-12km for state league game. This was Kyle Martins problem. Am told Panos at 12-13km per game so he is borderline.

The other is Shane Yarran who is an ex con and came up from bush to play WAFL this year and killed it. I reckon am a reasonable pick of state league talent and have previously talked up Lobb, Dwyer, Frost, martin, Smith and Hibberd before became fashionable to. I reckon the next one is Shane Yarran. If he has the temperament to move and cope then he would near walk into a fwd pkt in our side and be outstanding underneath Cloke. He played well in big games over there as well.
Yes to yarran, could we rookie him? Or will he get picked up before the rookie draft? Wouldn't want to risk 30 or 48 on him.

Yeah I'd be thinking a Capiron, Markov might still be around at #48 so bit like you wouldn't want to go 'overs'. I think history suggests he may slip through to rookie but its looking like almost 80 selections this year (not incl upgrades or PSD) so there is a chance he is gone. I wonder whether Pies would use #85 if someone slipped through as per last year. I have a couple of contacts in WA who tell me a few clubs are keen to draft him....but who knows where.

I'm still expecting another de-listing or two but the days are sprinting by with no real indication that it will happen. Surely it'd have to occur over the next fortnight?

The first list lodgement deadline is this Friday (the 31st) at 2pm. It's also the day (IIRC) that out of contract players current deals expire, effectively making them delisted players if they haven't been offered a new contract. So, I think we might hear something, one way or another, during this week...

The first list lodgement deadline is this Friday (the 31st) at 2pm. It's also the day (IIRC) that out of contract players current deals expire, effectively making them delisted players if they haven't been offered a new contract. So, I think we might hear something, one way or another, during this week...
Not looking good for Ramsay if that's the case. Is there anyone else out of contract that hasn't been re-signed?

Not looking good for Ramsay if that's the case. Is there anyone else out of contract that hasn't been re-signed?

Yep, Ramsay is indeed out of contract, having been drafted in 2012 and receiving the standard initial two year deal. In my opinion, has done enough for at least another year.

There's confusion as to whether Armstrong is on a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal, given he was signed as a Delisted Free Agent after Sydney tossed him out for hard rubbish collection. Can't imagine why we would give a 2 year deal to a failed player at two different clubs, when he would likely have taken a 1 year minimum chips contract to keep his career alive. He might be one of those left out of contract, but could be paid out in any event.

Oxley, I believe, received a two year contract as a result of being promoted from the rookie list. I'll stand to be corrected, but promoted rookies automatically get 2 years upon promotion to the senior list in the draft.

Gault I think is be of contract as well. I vaguely recall something about him being on a 3 year deal (2 years initially, but extended by an extra year sometime during his original draftee contract).

Other than that, I think everyone is accounted for...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back