South Australia is in recession - rest of Australia set to follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, public schools and hospitals should all be closed down. The police force should be sacked.

I am not for private police but we have seen the rise of the security guard industry which has made perfect sense. Better integration of the two would make even more sense.

I am not against the 100% privitisation of the operation of hospitals and certainly would promote the privatisation of hospital infrastructure. But that of course would be useless without smashing one of Australia's most damaging unions.......the AMA.

He admitted it

but that wasn't the point of the exercise. The point is to get Gough back on the right track, which we can revisit in time.
your right Ceasar. I graduated high school in 1990 and found myself in a busted arse city and facing 35% unemployment for young adult males.

Personally I found the rigid school structure wasn't for me. I left at the age of 15 and started a science degree, worked and started a business instead.

just a few jobs

high school failure
apprentice mechanic at 15 (complete failure as I am not handy in any way)

*Power Raid style* Why can't you be honest with yourself? You might even like it.
Like I said mate, I can cop being called a bludger on internet forum, but it's a bit hard to take from a fantasist and a liar like you.

*Power Raid style* Why can't you be honest with yourself? You might even like it.
Like I said mate, I can cop being called a bludger on internet forum, but it's a bit hard to take from a fantasist and a liar like you.

If we go through the detail, it helps understand why I sympathise with your position. For me growing up in Adelaide was like growing up with no hope.

I always wanted to be a business men but had no idea what one was. The closest thing I saw to a business men in a city with 35% youth unemployment and a city where you couldn’t build over 4 stories (and when you could, like myers, it would become one of the most expensive constructions in the world thanks to unions) were not exactly role models.

Those role models included an uncle who was a safety officer for the BLF but in reality he was an enforcer smashing in faces of honest men, a grandfather who was a heavy for the painters and dockers and another uncle infamous for running a once popular Italian restaurant that was a cover for drug money, prostitution and dirty police deals.

At the age of 15, I had my own issues and was invited to leave CBC for smoking weed. I came home and my father asked me to move out, so I moved in with my sister who like you has a kind heart. I found work as a mechanic, started studying university through remote learning (as my sister was doing) and I started a heap of small business ventures.

After my second week of work, I went on a date and the girl asked where I intended on sticking my dirty, greasy and dry skinned fingers. It was at that point I realised mechanics was not for me and asked CBC to take me back. I should mention they did but dropped out again in year 11 and then went to a public school near marion. That didn't work either, so the word graduated was poetic licence.

I was my own worst enemy as a teenager, with so much energy and wanting to run before I could walk. Being in Adelaide only made it worse given the state culture is so conservative. Nevertheless, it was my poor actions and decisions that resulted in tumultuous years. One of the best and worst decisions was joining the navy. bad because the organisation is run appallingly badly but good because I had fun and got out of Adelaide.

I truly didn’t find my groove until I was in my thirties and in WA. I find the can do culture suits me better. Oh, and I am sorry if I hadn’t mentioned the dope thing before. I kinda wanted to omit that from my history.

So I do understand what it is like not having found your groove. The question is, what can be done to help find yours?

Last edited:
This is like saying I'm not being racist and then making a racist remark.

Unfortunately SA isn't a popular place for business. The state has the highest taxation on businesses, sending many broke and making many others hesitant to move into SA. With such a high unemployment rate and Labor's failure to keep youth in SA, things are only going to get worse. It really has become a pissant state.

Unfortunately SA isn't a popular place for business. The state has the highest taxation on businesses, sending many broke and making many others hesitant to move into SA. With such a high unemployment rate and Labor's failure to keep youth in SA, things are only going to get worse. It really has become a pissant state.

I like how you blame Labor, when every state government for the last 30 years is to blame. Libs had plenty of chances to 'fix' things too and only managed to make them worse.

I like how you blame Labor, when every state government for the last 30 years is to blame. Libs had plenty of chances to 'fix' things too and only managed to make them worse.
Well Labor's had more than a decade to fix it and still haven't, hard not to blame them really.

Well Labor's had more than a decade to fix it and still haven't, hard not to blame them really.

Where are the Liberals plans to fix it? What useful plans and policies have they elucidated in the 3 elections over that decade? At the last election they couldn't even manage to spend their own campaign finances in the right seats to win, I have my doubts they'd be able to do anything of worth at all in government.

At least these last 4 or 5 years the Labor government has been trying. Too little too late to stop us from bottoming out sure, but they've been putting what we have left into giving us the best chance of a successful rebound as possible.

Where are the Liberals plans to fix it? What useful plans and policies have they elucidated in the 3 elections over that decade? At the last election they couldn't even manage to spend their own campaign finances in the right seats to win, I have my doubts they'd be able to do anything of worth at all in government.
The Libs did have plans to reduce business taxation, promoting a stronger economy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trouble with Labor over the last few years is that they put all of their efforts into the one big pay dirt enterprise, without any fall back option that is when Labor & friends stumbled around like a flightless magpie.

Just on the Olympic Dam expansion BHP have rather active up in the region lately especially around the Port Bonython area with talk of an announcement later this year or early 2015.

Just on the Olympic Dam expansion BHP have rather active up in the region lately especially around the Port Bonython area with talk of an announcement later this year or early 2015.
They only held back because there was a chance with a change of gov a nuke would be built at Port Augusta. Along with less complaints about a desal at bonython. Changes everything for them.

I don't know the nyrstar story other than they are in mining. Is this a bad story that justifies destroying the lives of millions through the generations of young South Australians who are born into no hope and have to leave the state or wither in suburbs like Salisbury until they die?

not everyone is born in burnside and completely happy with SA being a basket case!

Note for memory: the people who suffer from unionism do not live in Burnside.....they live in places like Salisbury. Now how does that work, if unions represent the battler?

They only held back because there was a chance with a change of gov a nuke would be built at Port Augusta. Along with less complaints about a desal at bonython. Changes everything for them.

that is soooo far off the mark

Just heard a typical dirty deal lastnight re why the predators will be based out of SA.

firstly, it does make some geographic sense; but
secondly, it was a deal for the owner of the predators to get an easy run in the approvals process to open his uranium mine

this is typical of SA

I don't know the nyrstar story other than they are in mining. Is this a bad story that justifies destroying the lives of millions through the generations of young South Australians who are born into no hope and have to leave the state or wither in suburbs like Salisbury until they die?

not everyone is born in burnside and completely happy with SA being a basket case!

Note for memory: the people who suffer from unionism do not live in Burnside.....they live in places like Salisbury. Now how does that work, if unions represent the battler?
port pirie smelter, feds pulled out when brock sided with lab. fed libs were open about being consequences for lab governing.

that is soooo far off the mark
Im never that far.

when you understand what a nuke provides a company like BHP, that the local fed member for that region has been promoting dis information about anti nuke orginizations and fukushima. that the howard gov tried introducing nukes, and this one so far is doing all the things howard could not...

Im never that far.

when you understand what a nuke provides a company like BHP, that the local fed member for that region has been promoting dis information about anti nuke orginizations and fukushima. that the howard gov tried introducing nukes, and this one so far is doing all the things howard could not...

I would love to see SA have a gen 3.5 reactor (or 2) to power desal and be less reliant on the river, open up a titanium industry down in the south east, provide power and water to olympic dam and open up the magnetite industry.

better still, rather than just digging s**t up we should and could refine metals into value added materials with the abundant cheap power. plus retain or even build the manufacturing industry on the back of cheap power, just as the US has started to achieve with cheap gas.

I would also look to build a centre of excellence on nuclear power, nuclear medicine and nuclear reprocessing in JV with organisations like mitsubishi, areva and general electric.

sadly, I cant see SA being proactive and look at reasons why not to do something. ie......we will lose our federal government subsidies if we create wealth and work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back