Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms Reilly might have run out of hooks for her stories as we countdown to the start of our season.

Fremantle Dockers are set to make history with three AFL Rising Star winners in the same team against St Kilda​

The oldest team in VFL/AFL history won the flag last year. Can Freo‘s kids give them a run for their money in 2023? ELIZA REILLY provides analysis.

3 min read
March 19, 2023 - 9:00AM
Caleb Serong is one of a select three to create history for the Dockers on Sunday. Picture: Michael Klein

Caleb Serong is one of a select three to create history for the Dockers on Sunday. Picture: Michael Klein

The stars have aligned for Fremantle.
And the hype surrounding its young list is universal.

On Sunday against St Kilda, Fremantle will become the first AFL team to field three Rising Star Award winners on the same side.
One – Caleb Serong – has been a Docker from the start. The star midfielder crashed his way onto the national stage in 2020 and, days after turning 22, was appointed vice-captain of a club bound for finals. His impact on the playing group and desire to drag the Dockers to the pinnacle has drawn admiration internally and externally.
The other two – Jaeger O‘Meara and Luke Jackson – found their way to Fremantle in the most recent trade period.
The Dockers set their sights on Jackson early in the season and didn’t waiver until he was in purple. It was a massive coup for a club that has a long history of miss-not-hit recruits.
Luke Jackson during one of the Dockers’ pre-season practice matches. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Luke Jackson during one of the Dockers’ pre-season practice matches. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Fremantle saw with their own eyes just what the former Demon was capable of when he changed the course of the 2021 AFL grand final at Optus Stadium. Now, the so-called ‘unicorn’ will wield his mythical talents in tandem with Sean Darcy.
O’Meara’s journey back home to Western Australia has been slightly more treacherous.
Told he wasn’t necessarily a required player at a rebuilding Hawthorn, the 29 year-old was given little more than 48 hours to decide where he would end his career.
Greater Western Sydney made a compelling pitch but O’Meara eventually decided, through tears, that Fremantle’s probability of finals success was his preference. So, a decade after joining Gold Coast as an underage star, the Dongara product returned home.
Never has a side boasted three Ron Evans Medallists. Add to that, four of the top 10 picks from the 2019 AFL draft in Jackson, Serong, Hayden Young and Liam Henry will face up to the Saints.
Henry and Serong after a win at Perth’s Optus Stadium last year. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Henry and Serong after a win at Perth’s Optus Stadium last year. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
So, is Fremantle’s premiership list complete?
“It’s never finished, your list profile,” football boss Peter Bell told Channel 7. “We’re really comfortable with the character of the group that we have but it’s not finished. I don’t think it’s ever finished. We’ll certainly look at free agency, the trade and the draft.
“I think as a club we’re at a stage where with the environment we’ve created … there are players who are expressing interest, and sometimes that’s just it and sometimes they express interest for a whole variety of reasons.
“But expressing interest in particularly moving to Western Australia and playing for Fremantle? That wasn’t the case a while ago so things have changed a little bit.”
It’s worth noting that Fremantle has the third most inexperienced list in the AFL this season. On average, the squad has played just 55 games. The Dockers also boast the fourth youngest list with an average age of just 24.
Last year’s premiers, Geelong, were the oldest team in VFL/AFL history.
Hughes was not part of the picture last year for Fremantle. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Hughes was not part of the picture last year for Fremantle. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Could Freo’s kids give them a run for their money in 2023?
There is ample reason to believe they can.
Ethan Hughes and Nathan Wilson were left behind last year. Last year, we would have said that Brandon Walker was clearly ahead of Wilson and, by design, that would guarantee the former a spot. But the veteran hasn’t put a foot wrong this pre-season and has forced his way back into the team.
Similarly, Hughes played just six games last year but he, too, has been rewarded for his hard work and flexibility.
Youngsters Josh Treacy (four games) and Henry (seven) also danced in and out of the line-up last year due to the squad’s collective fitness and form. But Hughes and Wilson have proven that there is no such thing as a depth player at Fremantle.
Experience and potential have finally collided at the Dockers to the point where it’s impossible to predict a decline.
Serong, O’Meara and Jackson may be the stars but they are now surrounded by an intricate solar system.
Eliza is seeing clearly.
So refreshing.
Does her homework.
The signs are good.
Last years taster is a great foundation.
Let the excitement build from here.
YOKAI!

If you looks at the prefix, one says preview and one says game day
Got it, but am recalling previous convos of mods saying preview would be retitled to gameday....something something about bringing more attention to the previews for better voting turn out.
I could be wrong and my brain's a sieve at the best of times ;)

No matter, anyhow. Go the Dockers! :)

My first time in Melbourne will be for this game!

I have $1000 on us at 1.80. The Melbourne footy trip will either be much cheaper then it should have been or be a real sad trip home lol.

Absoloutly pumped. I love Ross though, really wish he wasn't their coach.

The first time we played them last year king hammered us and won them the game. The second time we played then the only thing that kept them in the game was Ryder dominating the center bounces. Both of those players aren't playing.

Hayes is injured. Membrey being rushed back. Their talls are cooked, Cox and Pearce will have a field day. The classy Billings is out as well as Zak Jones. See Ross and Windhager unlikely.

We should give them a touch up, but I'll take a 1 point win. Pumped.

Well... that would of been nasty.

That’s why it’s always best to bet against freo, especially when we’re the favourites, if we win you lost some $$, who cares, if we lose at least the beer is free!
Hahah yeah not a bad tactic 😂

That’s why it’s always best to bet against freo, especially when we’re the favourites, if we win you lost some $$, who cares, if we lose at least the beer is free!
I reckon anyone who calls a derby a darby should be forced to
a) bet a week's worth of wages on Freo when we are favourites &
b) sit amongst a group of wc evils fans to watch one of their games

Sent from my SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back