Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Hughes is that he’ll look fine tomorrow against the saints. But last nights game would be an example of where he would be badly exposed.
To beat Collingwood you have to move the ball so fast it’s almost incomprehensible. Hughes and Reece Conca are/were two of the slowest ball movers I’ve ever seen play for the dockers.
Unless Ethan has dramatically improved his ability to think quickly when getting the ball in transition, I fear he will be a weak link again.
But let’s see how he gets on for a few games first. If we are still seeing 3 or 4 second pauses when he marks the ball and confused looking scans around the pitch for someone to kick it to from Hughes, then we have a problem.
Same issue with Banfield.

We have to get better by improving our bottom 6.

Same issue with Banfield.

We have to get better by improving our bottom 6.
Agreed I can’t believe Banfield is still there ahead of some of these young guys we have. They should be exploding past him at this stage in the pecking order, the different positions excuse only goes so far for me. If a young player in their second or third year is as good and talented as advertised, they should be forcing their way into the 22 somehow and making it impossible for the MC to leave them out.
Then your Hughes/Banfield types should be falling out the bottom end and be back at peel.
The only exceptions to this is if there has been a sudden dramatic improvement in Hughes of Banfield over summer but I really doubt that. It’s the likes of Erasmus and Johnson and Walker who should be in that bracket.
We shall see.

Sturt s**t 2022??? Leading goalkicker down at Peel after Home and Away, 49 scoring shots for the season

You obviously didn't watch the WAFL

Big difference in Rozee vs Sturt? yes, they are completely different players, Rozee is a midfielder playing forward (will be full time mid this year) Sturt is a pure forward, lead up target, good in air and on the ground

Kicked 4 multiple times and had multiple opportunities to kick 4 but was uncharacteristically inaccurate last year, you have to remember that delivery to forwards isn't as good at WAFL level

Bloke just needs his shot at AFL so he can shut up all the doubters, I was with Tabs when he did it and can't wait to be on Sturt's side when he does.

voice of reason!

Which is why Sturt should be ahead of him and playing as the sub tomorrow.
I’d be happy with Walker as the sub tomorrow.
If there is a saints small forward causing issues we can bring him in.
We need to be thinking a lot more tactically now in 2023 with this sub rule change. Game by game it could be different.
Collingwood literally won a game against us last year by subbing Cox off for Henry after 15 mins after a dubious looking injury. That kind of tactical move is now allowed in 2023.
I want our sub to be a high impact player that’s capable of bringing something different to a game that we are struggling in.
That’s completely different to an emergency utility like Banfield who isn't really going to bring much impact.

I’d be happy with Walker as the sub tomorrow.
If there is a saints small forward causing issues we can bring him in.
We need to be thinking a lot more tactically now in 2023 with this sub rule change. Game by game it could be different.
Collingwood literally won a game against us last year by subbing Cox off for Henry after 15 mins after a dubious looking injury. That kind of tactical move is now allowed in 2023.
I want our sub to be a high impact player that’s capable of bringing something different to a game that we are struggling in.
That’s completely different to an emergency utility like Banfield who isn't really going to bring much impact.
I would think structurally Sturt makes more sense given how tall we're going in.

Heaven forbid Tabs should break down given his recent history, or the Saints get too much bounce off half back with too much tall timber we can make the tactical switch to Sturt and get more mobile. His lift in defensive intensity makes this a no brainer.

Banners is a known quantity and a very limited footballer. Tries his heart out, but Sturt has earned his shot.

People have somehow forgotten he almost won a game off his own boot at Marvel in his rookie year. On debut no less.

The guy has class and nous that Banfield will never find.

Last edited:
Our bottom six gets better by adding guys at the top
I would argue that our bottom 6 improves by having players like Sturt, Erasmus, Johnson, Nod, Treacy, and maybe to a lesser extent Amiss (key forwards taking a bit longer), improve by a substantial margin from last year. They are all on the steep apart of the inprovement curve. Banfield and Hughes and Wilson and these types will be the exact same players in 2023 that they were in 2022. The other Avenue is some mature aged recruits like Corbett and Emmett come in and turn out to be better than the other bottom 6 options too.
Yes we have added top end guys compared to last year in JOM, Jackson and Fyfe, but have lost Lobb, Mundy and Logue from the 22 last year so they are just replacing those 3.
One of Johnson or Erasmus needs to start smashing the door down at peel for a game in the AFL side in the next few weeks

Sturt HAS to be sub tomorrow

If we get an injury in defense - Aish -> Back, Sturt in, Freddy -> Wing rotation
If we get an injury forward - Sturt in
If we get an injury in the midfield Sturt forward, Fyfe/Jackson/Aish -> Mid rotation -> Freddy to wing rotation for Aish
If we get an injury to KPD, Ryan plays tall or Treacy back -> Either Aish to ryans spot or Sturt to Treacys

If we get no injuries - If tall doesn't work then Sturt is in
If tall does work then either no sub or do one of those other swap arounds

It simply works, I was worried having him as sub but we have the flexibility to make it work with Sturt sub, he needs to be rewarded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our bottom six gets better by adding guys at the top
Although coaches don't mind going with the scrappers in the bottom 6. Someone you can rely on to put it all on the line when it may only have a small chance of coming off. They'll be tolerant of the blunders for that honest do or die effort.

Rough gutsiness is a little more infrequent with champagne.

Can we all temper our expectations of Sturt? He had a great game round 1 in 2020 - for a kid, and he’s had a solid preseason this year. If and when he plays this year he will hopefully do his bit for the team, but I really don’t think he’s going to make the difference.
The only expectation I have regarding Sturt, is that he gets a much deserved crack this weekend.

Sturt HAS to be sub tomorrow

If we get an injury in defense - Aish -> Back, Sturt in, Freddy -> Wing rotation
If we get an injury forward - Sturt in
If we get an injury in the midfield Sturt forward, Fyfe/Jackson/Aish -> Mid rotation -> Freddy to wing rotation for Aish
If we get an injury to KPD, Ryan plays tall or Treacy back -> Either Aish to ryans spot or Sturt to Treacys

If we get no injuries - If tall doesn't work then Sturt is in
If tall does work then either no sub or do one of those other swap arounds

It simply works, I was worried having him as sub but we have the flexibility to make it work with Sturt sub, he needs to be rewarded
What you described goes for Banfield as well. It will be a toss of the coin between Sturt and Banfield. I’d rather Sturt but my preference doesn’t make any difference.

Max temp is going to be about 15C cooler in Melb tomorrow. Commentators in the Nth V WC game were suggesting it was hotter inside the stadium than outside. I don't know what they were measuring when they were saying it felt like 40C inside. Personal comfort levels, or projecting how hot it would feel for the players?

Last edited:
I was super confident going into this game, but after watching Dees vs Dogs, I'm really starting to have doubts. How are we going to replace Lobb's production?

0.0 goals
0 goal assists
6 disposals
2 marks
23 fantasy points with 95% time on ground

There's no way Fyfe, Jackson, or Tracey will have a better game than that. The Vic media who are predicting us to drop outside the 8 are looking pretty smart right now. We'll never make finals. Bring on 2024, I guess.

:laughing:

Ms Reilly might have run out of hooks for her stories as we countdown to the start of our season.

Fremantle Dockers are set to make history with three AFL Rising Star winners in the same team against St Kilda​

The oldest team in VFL/AFL history won the flag last year. Can Freo‘s kids give them a run for their money in 2023? ELIZA REILLY provides analysis.

3 min read
March 19, 2023 - 9:00AM
[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] is one of a select three to create history for the Dockers on Sunday. Picture: Michael Klein

Caleb Serong is one of a select three to create history for the Dockers on Sunday. Picture: Michael Klein

The stars have aligned for Fremantle.
And the hype surrounding its young list is universal.

On Sunday against St Kilda, Fremantle will become the first AFL team to field three Rising Star Award winners on the same side.
One – Caleb Serong – has been a Docker from the start. The star midfielder crashed his way onto the national stage in 2020 and, days after turning 22, was appointed vice-captain of a club bound for finals. His impact on the playing group and desire to drag the Dockers to the pinnacle has drawn admiration internally and externally.
The other two – Jaeger O‘Meara and Luke Jackson – found their way to Fremantle in the most recent trade period.
The Dockers set their sights on Jackson early in the season and didn’t waiver until he was in purple. It was a massive coup for a club that has a long history of miss-not-hit recruits.
[PLAYERCARD]Luke Jackson[/PLAYERCARD] during one of the Dockers’ pre-season practice matches. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Luke Jackson during one of the Dockers’ pre-season practice matches. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Fremantle saw with their own eyes just what the former Demon was capable of when he changed the course of the 2021 AFL grand final at Optus Stadium. Now, the so-called ‘unicorn’ will wield his mythical talents in tandem with Sean Darcy.
O’Meara’s journey back home to Western Australia has been slightly more treacherous.
Told he wasn’t necessarily a required player at a rebuilding Hawthorn, the 29 year-old was given little more than 48 hours to decide where he would end his career.
Greater Western Sydney made a compelling pitch but O’Meara eventually decided, through tears, that Fremantle’s probability of finals success was his preference. So, a decade after joining Gold Coast as an underage star, the Dongara product returned home.
Never has a side boasted three Ron Evans Medallists. Add to that, four of the top 10 picks from the 2019 AFL draft in Jackson, Serong, Hayden Young and Liam Henry will face up to the Saints.
Henry and Serong after a win at Perth’s Optus Stadium last year. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Henry and Serong after a win at Perth’s Optus Stadium last year. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
So, is Fremantle’s premiership list complete?
“It’s never finished, your list profile,” football boss Peter Bell told Channel 7. “We’re really comfortable with the character of the group that we have but it’s not finished. I don’t think it’s ever finished. We’ll certainly look at free agency, the trade and the draft.
“I think as a club we’re at a stage where with the environment we’ve created … there are players who are expressing interest, and sometimes that’s just it and sometimes they express interest for a whole variety of reasons.
“But expressing interest in particularly moving to Western Australia and playing for Fremantle? That wasn’t the case a while ago so things have changed a little bit.”
It’s worth noting that Fremantle has the third most inexperienced list in the AFL this season. On average, the squad has played just 55 games. The Dockers also boast the fourth youngest list with an average age of just 24.
Last year’s premiers, Geelong, were the oldest team in VFL/AFL history.
Hughes was not part of the picture last year for Fremantle. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Hughes was not part of the picture last year for Fremantle. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Could Freo’s kids give them a run for their money in 2023?
There is ample reason to believe they can.
Ethan Hughes and Nathan Wilson were left behind last year. Last year, we would have said that Brandon Walker was clearly ahead of Wilson and, by design, that would guarantee the former a spot. But the veteran hasn’t put a foot wrong this pre-season and has forced his way back into the team.
Similarly, Hughes played just six games last year but he, too, has been rewarded for his hard work and flexibility.
Youngsters Josh Treacy (four games) and Henry (seven) also danced in and out of the line-up last year due to the squad’s collective fitness and form. But Hughes and Wilson have proven that there is no such thing as a depth player at Fremantle.
Experience and potential have finally collided at the Dockers to the point where it’s impossible to predict a decline.
Serong, O’Meara and Jackson may be the stars but they are now surrounded by an intricate solar system.

Ms Reilly might have run out of hooks for her stories as we countdown to the start of our season.

Fremantle Dockers are set to make history with three AFL Rising Star winners in the same team against St Kilda​

The oldest team in VFL/AFL history won the flag last year. Can Freo‘s kids give them a run for their money in 2023? ELIZA REILLY provides analysis.

3 min read
March 19, 2023 - 9:00AM
Caleb Serong is one of a select three to create history for the Dockers on Sunday. Picture: Michael Klein

The stars have aligned for Fremantle.
And the hype surrounding its young list is universal.

On Sunday against St Kilda, Fremantle will become the first AFL team to field three Rising Star Award winners on the same side.
One – Caleb Serong – has been a Docker from the start. The star midfielder crashed his way onto the national stage in 2020 and, days after turning 22, was appointed vice-captain of a club bound for finals. His impact on the playing group and desire to drag the Dockers to the pinnacle has drawn admiration internally and externally.
The other two – Jaeger O‘Meara and Luke Jackson – found their way to Fremantle in the most recent trade period.
The Dockers set their sights on Jackson early in the season and didn’t waiver until he was in purple. It was a massive coup for a club that has a long history of miss-not-hit recruits.
Luke Jackson during one of the Dockers’ pre-season practice matches. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Fremantle saw with their own eyes just what the former Demon was capable of when he changed the course of the 2021 AFL grand final at Optus Stadium. Now, the so-called ‘unicorn’ will wield his mythical talents in tandem with Sean Darcy.
O’Meara’s journey back home to Western Australia has been slightly more treacherous.
Told he wasn’t necessarily a required player at a rebuilding Hawthorn, the 29 year-old was given little more than 48 hours to decide where he would end his career.
Greater Western Sydney made a compelling pitch but O’Meara eventually decided, through tears, that Fremantle’s probability of finals success was his preference. So, a decade after joining Gold Coast as an underage star, the Dongara product returned home.
Never has a side boasted three Ron Evans Medallists. Add to that, four of the top 10 picks from the 2019 AFL draft in Jackson, Serong, Hayden Young and Liam Henry will face up to the Saints.

So, is Fremantle’s premiership list complete?
“It’s never finished, your list profile,” football boss Peter Bell told Channel 7. “We’re really comfortable with the character of the group that we have but it’s not finished. I don’t think it’s ever finished. We’ll certainly look at free agency, the trade and the draft.
“I think as a club we’re at a stage where with the environment we’ve created … there are players who are expressing interest, and sometimes that’s just it and sometimes they express interest for a whole variety of reasons.
“But expressing interest in particularly moving to Western Australia and playing for Fremantle? That wasn’t the case a while ago so things have changed a little bit.”
It’s worth noting that Fremantle has the third most inexperienced list in the AFL this season. On average, the squad has played just 55 games. The Dockers also boast the fourth youngest list with an average age of just 24.
Last year’s premiers, Geelong, were the oldest team in VFL/AFL history.

Could Freo’s kids give them a run for their money in 2023?
There is ample reason to believe they can.
Ethan Hughes and Nathan Wilson were left behind last year. Last year, we would have said that Brandon Walker was clearly ahead of Wilson and, by design, that would guarantee the former a spot. But the veteran hasn’t put a foot wrong this pre-season and has forced his way back into the team.
Similarly, Hughes played just six games last year but he, too, has been rewarded for his hard work and flexibility.
Youngsters Josh Treacy (four games) and Henry (seven) also danced in and out of the line-up last year due to the squad’s collective fitness and form. But Hughes and Wilson have proven that there is no such thing as a depth player at Fremantle.
Experience and potential have finally collided at the Dockers to the point where it’s impossible to predict a decline.
Serong, O’Meara and Jackson may be the stars but they are now surrounded by an intricate solar system.
Most shocking thing about that article is that Hughes played six games last year. I can only remember two of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back