Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry's streets ahead of anybody on the wing this preseason as far as transition goes. Running patterns, decision making and execution have been top class. Still very young and a truckload of improvement still. I think they'd like to ease him in. Wouldn't surprise to see him owning a wing late in the season.

Hughes offers defensive flexibility, solidity and savagery. He's got a lot that appeals to a coach, even though with ball in hand he can drain pigment in real time. He'll still be front of mind for the match committee when O'Driscoll returns, short of a rapid drop off. Maybe this is his Indian summer, but hopefully he keeps a hand in for a wing spot for a while yet, because it good for the team.

Would rather play with 21 than have Hughes in the 22.

I do wonder if we might be a bit tall up forward with Jackson/Darcy, Tabs, and Treacy. Fyfe also takes away one of the smaller/medium options like Sturt and Banfield. I do think it will be one of Sturt and Banfield that is the sub and will come on for one of the taller guys. I am hoping it is Sturt based on pre-season form.
Interestingly JLo at Eagles as forwards coach in 2016 played JK, Darling, and resting ruck NicNat/Lycett/Giles nearly every game. Went ok that year as i've been reminded on various occasions. Should be able to work out a strategy based on previous experience.

If Sturt gets the vest then it’s perfect to me.

Wilson well deserved. Hopefully will remind a few how good he is. Walker is 19yo. So much football ahead of him.

Hughes I’m backing in. Given he couldn’t break in last year I don’t there is a player from either side that will be going harder at the contest.

Henry off the bench is great. So much talent this one.

Treacy. I love the kid but I hope he can find enough footy. It’s been his weakness but he’s a baby in AFL power forward terms.

Fyfe. At full forward. Fyfe. All that footy nous, power & talent directed at being a good forward. So exciting.
Treacy excels at just about every aspect of the game except finding the footy. Let’s hope he gets better at that with age.
Does anybody know, do they close the roof for all games at Docklands?

So what's the problem with Hughes exactly?

Slow, he is a poor decision maker partly due to the fact it takes him way too long to make a decision, and his disposal is ordinary. Physically he looks like the prototypical footy player. The reality is he is not AFL standard.

It is all my opinion, of course. People might disagree but I don't particularly care if they do or not.

I got a feeling Hughes might be in partially to be a good match up on Wood for height if Wood plays wing.

I just hope we don't just resort to bombing it high because we have three marking talls.

The ideal situation for St Kilda would be that we are too tall and slow up forward and too tall and slow down back, as well being able tag one of our main mids Serong or Brayshaw out of the game.

I think we can play them all. They each provide something different, the pressure Treacy provides makes his presence unique.

I don't see Tabs or Jackson being under injury clouds. Only player who might be is Schultz, who did something at training, but came back on.

Pressure helps the defence … catching people helps the offence

Treacys got that Chris Mayne sort of pressure , chugging along behind a bloke to get a head pat from the coach when you review the tape

Respect but not really that effective

I suppose coupled with Jackson’s ground level hunt and Fyfe showing a little more intent it would add a layer

Treacy or Tabs for me … not both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treacys got that Chris Mayne sort of pressure , chugging along behind a bloke to get a head pat from the coach when you review the tape

Respect but not really that effective

I suppose coupled with Jackson’s ground level hunt and Fyfe showing a little more intent it would add a layer

Treacy or Tabs for me … not both
I’m glad you’re not on the match committee then 😀

How the f**k is Banfield still anywhere near our first 22 picked with so few injuries?

When's the sub locked in? Will groan the ungroanable groan when we name him sub ahead of Sturt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back