C: J.Clark 6 W.Brodie 17 J.Aish 11
HF: S.Switkowski 39 L.Jackson 9 J.O'Meara 2
F: L.Schultz 5 N.Fyfe 7 M.Taberner 20
Foll: S.Darcy 4 A.Brayshaw 8 C.Serong 3
I/C: J.Treacy 35 L.Henry 23 M.Frederick 32 N.Wilson 14

Emerg: B.Banfield 41 B.Walker 31 M.Johnson 44 S.Sturt 1

New faces: Luke Jackson, Jaeger O'Meara, Matthew Johnson
Notable absentees: Travis Colyer, Michael Walters

Love the selection. We got a ton of speed out there. Glad Tracey was picked. Saints defense won’t know what hit them. Fyfe is gonna go beast mode and kick 3. Hughes, Clark, Henry, and Aish to rotate on the wing. Clark to kick an 60m goal in the run. Excited to see Jackson in purple. Unleash the two headed ruck monster. Defense will only allow 4 goals all game. Freo by 150.

Two sleeps.

Can’t wait.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

I do like when fans think their opinions from 1 and a half pre season games hold more weight than the guys who have watched them train every day for the past 4 months

First post for 2023: Here goes.
Firstly, I said Liam Henry gets an extended gig. If anyone watched Collingwood. Henry is the player we need to take the next step. He is fast, agile, a good kick, and I think he will produce goals.
2. Ethan Hughes might be the team man, but not the best player. Sometimes, you just need the guy that commits and that is Ethan. He will sacrifice everything and bond the group. I like it, but there are more natural footballers in the waiting.
3. Walker dropped for Wilson. Never saw this coming, but I did suggest to some friends that Wilson was close to 22. He has an elite kick, a long kick, and he is evasive. He has brain fades, but maybe this is coached out of him?
4. Sturt, Treacy, Banfield... Sturt had a s**t 2022. Treacy not great either. Banfield was solid. Like it or not, the kid can play footy. As a sub, his stats are fairly brilliant. Sturt was shite in the WAFL. He needs to earn his spot. If he can not kick 4 in the WAFL, why pick him in AFL? Big difference in a Rozee vs Sturt. Not even sure the hype? Treacy, not sure either, but he can smash a pack and has no fear to do so.
5. Fyfe forward makes sense, Sumich is on drugs. Why the f, would we put Fyfe in the midfield when he is such a dominating presence forward?
Clear the forward 50, and have Fyfe 1 on 1 with any defender, and they will hate life.

So, do not banish those that have worked hard to get a spot in the team. The biggest surprise for me is Treacy in, but I like it.

Firstly, I said Liam Henry gets an extended gig. If anyone watched Collingwood. Henry is the player we need to take the next step. He is fast, agile, a good kick, and I think he will produce goals.
2. Ethan Hughes might be the team man, but not the best player. Sometimes, you just need the guy that commits and that is Ethan. He will sacrifice everything and bond the group. I like it, but there are more natural footballers in the waiting.
3. Walker dropped for Wilson. Never saw this coming, but I did suggest to some friends that Wilson was close to 22. He has an elite kick, a long kick, and he is evasive. He has brain fades, but maybe this is coached out of him?
4. Sturt, Treacy, Banfield... Sturt had a s**t 2022. Treacy not great either. Banfield was solid. Like it or not, the kid can play footy. As a sub, his stats are fairly brilliant. Sturt was shite in the WAFL. He needs to earn his spot. If he can not kick 4 in the WAFL, why pick him in AFL? Big difference in a Rozee vs Sturt. Not even sure the hype? Treacy, not sure either, but he can smash a pack and has no fear to do so.
5. Fyfe forward makes sense, Sumich is on drugs. Why the f, would we put Fyfe in the midfield when he is such a dominating presence forward?
Clear the forward 50, and have Fyfe 1 on 1 with any defender, and they will hate life.

So, do not banish those that have worked hard to get a spot in the team. The biggest surprise for me is Treacy in, but I like it.
Sturt s**t 2022??? Leading goalkicker down at Peel after Home and Away, 49 scoring shots for the season

You obviously didn't watch the WAFL

Big difference in Rozee vs Sturt? yes, they are completely different players, Rozee is a midfielder playing forward (will be full time mid this year) Sturt is a pure forward, lead up target, good in air and on the ground

Kicked 4 multiple times and had multiple opportunities to kick 4 but was uncharacteristically inaccurate last year, you have to remember that delivery to forwards isn't as good at WAFL level

Bloke just needs his shot at AFL so he can shut up all the doubters, I was with Tabs when he did it and can't wait to be on Sturt's side when he does.

Sturt s**t 2022??? Leading goalkicker down at Peel after Home and Away, 49 scoring shots for the season

You obviously didn't watch the WAFL

Big difference in Rozee vs Sturt? yes, they are completely different players, Rozee is a midfielder playing forward (will be full time mid this year) Sturt is a pure forward, lead up target, good in air and on the ground

Kicked 4 multiple times and had multiple opportunities to kick 4 but was uncharacteristically inaccurate last year, you have to remember that delivery to forwards isn't as good at WAFL level

Bloke just needs his shot at AFL so he can shut up all the doubters, I was with Tabs when he did it and can't wait to be on Sturt's side when he does.
Scoring shots, how many goals - I think that it the metric? I see you have a vested interest in the bloke. But reality is results. Banfield has more value at AFL level than Sturt has at WAFL level. So do the math. Passion or output. Sturt needs time in WAFL. If he dominates he can play with the big boys.

Scoring shots, how many goals - I think that it the metric? I see you have a vested interest in the bloke. But reality is results. Banfield has more value at AFL level than Sturt has at WAFL level. So do the math. Passion or output. Sturt needs time in WAFL. If he dominates he can play with the big boys.
Leading goalkicker means nothing to you then?

you said he needs to kick 4 goals in a game, literally did that in his second last WAFL game last season

Reality is results, well Sturt gave them in 2022, needs a crack at the big time now

Has done his time at WAFL level, its a tough team to crack into but he will be ready when he gets his shot

Slow, he is a poor decision maker partly due to the fact it takes him way too long to make a decision, and his disposal is ordinary. Physically he looks like the prototypical footy player. The reality is he is not AFL standard.

It is all my opinion, of course. People might disagree but I don't particularly care if they do or not.
Did you know that in 2017 Hughes hit a top speed of 35.6km/h in a game, 2nd fastest in the AFL for the round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely leave Fyfe forward. Needs to be committed to for an extended period of time (whole season even). Don't think at this stage, Fyfe having extended periods one-out in the forward line would be to our advantage.

Fyfe has been working well in traffic up forward. He's got smarts along with his power and showing lots of promising signs that he uses the moving parts of other forwards to his advantage. Not only that but he is proving to be a great source for goal assists.

Treacy's been a treat to see across the preseason. Last year he had all sorts of issues that affected his getting a decent run at it. Now that he has got some form of continuity, his strength and menace are back. Great as a ruck back-up, crushing tackle or long-range goal. He's even getting more pack marking into his repertoire.

Sturt too has really come on in the preseason. He's been really lively from an attacking aspect and laid more than a few run-down tackles to keep defenders under pressure. He's close enough to give a run now.

I am keen to see how this selection goes. With a few side thoughts.

Hughes - quick of leg, slow of progression. He loves the "mark, hold things up and chip backwards" style of play. Which grinds my gears. I can't remember a Hughes "run and gun" moment.

Sturt vs Treacy - This is not a comparison. Sturt (190cm) = medium, Treacy (195) = KPF. Fyfe is 191 so Sturt is backup for Fyfe, structurally. Banfield is the same height as Sturt. The forward structure JL seems to like is 2 x KPF, 1 x resting ruck, 2x small, 1 x medium. When fit, that medium slot is Fyfe.

Walker - Sad he missed. would have preferred him over others. If we get done by smalls. I'm gonna point to walker.

He is B22, Walters. We need his small forward craft and presence. Regardless of his strength and pace, he still gets in good spots and kick goals. The worry is the small forward and their ability to score around the packs- particularly Switkowski. Switta has great intensity and smarts but should be more emphasis of his to be more damaging on the scoreboard. Switter, Schulz and Frederick doesn't inspire hope of multiple goals- its workmanlike. Adding Walters would be more unpredictable in the coming weeks.
“Workmanlike” is not a word I’d use to describe Frederick.

Did Clarke rotate onto wing in pre season and practice matches? Or is his naming on the wing a ruse?

Just watched Ross presser during the week.

He called Freo the boom club of the West.

Is that another drive by at West Coast from Roscoe who doesnt mind clipping them.

Or trying to play the underdog tag.
Bit of both probably. I think Ross can be relied on to talk us up over the next few years and I think he genuinely dislikes the Eagles.

The problem with Hughes is that he’ll look fine tomorrow against the saints. But last nights game would be an example of where he would be badly exposed.
To beat Collingwood you have to move the ball so fast it’s almost incomprehensible. Hughes and Reece Conca are/were two of the slowest ball movers I’ve ever seen play for the dockers.
Unless Ethan has dramatically improved his ability to think quickly when getting the ball in transition, I fear he will be a weak link again.
But let’s see how he gets on for a few games first. If we are still seeing 3 or 4 second pauses when he marks the ball and confused looking scans around the pitch for someone to kick it to from Hughes, then we have a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back