Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic side, Treacy is mobile for his height so good selection :thumbsu:

A little disappointed for Walker but can't deny Wilson's done everything right to play his way back in.

Sturt will get his chance no doubt.

Our selection committee seem to have opted for an experienced team first up.

An experienced team on the road first up is an indication we believe we are going places and back ourselves to start the season with a win. There will be opportunities throughout the season with injuries and form giving those not selected first up a chance to force their way into the team.

Treacy and Henry are two of the least experienced however both have shown strong form on the track and during pre season games so a good reward for them and hopefully both can contribute well and set them selves up as regulars going forward into this season and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would rather play with 21 than have Hughes in the 22.

I do wonder if we might be a bit tall up forward with Jackson/Darcy, Tabs, and Treacy. Fyfe also takes away one of the smaller/medium options like Sturt and Banfield. I do think it will be one of Sturt and Banfield that is the sub and will come on for one of the taller guys. I am hoping it is Sturt based on pre-season form.

Can't see how any team this year is going to get past Cordy, Sharman, Caminiti and Campbell

I haven't checked if the teams are out yet, but they're not going to play all of them. I didn't think I was pumping them up, I just mentioned them as they're listed in the squad, so its possible that they might play a 2nd ruckman in Campbell. Cordy might have to play defence if we go tall.

Would rather play with 21 than have Hughes in the 22.

I do wonder if we might be a bit tall up forward with Jackson/Darcy, Tabs, and Treacy. Fyfe also takes away one of the smaller/medium options like Sturt and Banfield. I do think it will be one of Sturt and Banfield that is the sub and will come on for one of the taller guys. I am hoping it is Sturt based on pre-season form.
Fyfe is a far better and dangerous then Banfield. Opposition will really get anxious about Fyfe in the forward line v Banfield/Sturt. It’s a joker card.
Treacy is a better forward and pressure then Banfield as well.

Wonder what’s the average age/games/ experience break down..
This experience talk is amusing. Fyfe is oldest? Wilson, Pearce not far behind. Still young in terms of age
According to footywire our average age this round is 25 years and 2 months, and our average games experience is 81.5 games. Only North, Adelaide, GC, Hawks, Essendon and the Saints are fielding younger teams. Saints and North are actually more experienced though.

If Sturt gets the vest then it’s perfect to me.

Wilson well deserved. Hopefully will remind a few how good he is. Walker is 19yo. So much football ahead of him.

Hughes I’m backing in. Given he couldn’t break in last year I don’t there is a player from either side that will be going harder at the contest.

Henry off the bench is great. So much talent this one.

Treacy. I love the kid but I hope he can find enough footy. It’s been his weakness but he’s a baby in AFL power forward terms.

Fyfe. At full forward. Fyfe. All that footy nous, power & talent directed at being a good forward. So exciting.

Hoping for Sturt to be the sub.

Surely Hughes will play fat side wing and not in defense, or else we will have 8 defenders (I think it’s unlikely that Clark or Chapman play in midfield).

Hughes gives flexibility to go into the backline if a Saints small gets loose. If so, Freddy or even LJ can help with wing rotations.

If the ball is coming out of our F50 too easily, one of the talls (probably Tabs) can come out and Sturt can inject leg speed and some extra pressure.

Exciting! Can’t wait.

Jk it has nothing to do with Wilson but everything to do with luke ryan SLOW and OLD

I love Ryan but I actually agree that their make-shift forward line and plan around the smalls might not be favorable to him. I can see them getting some easy looking goals.

Walker is better to match up and nullify that potential damage considering he's even better than Wilson when it comes to body on body work against smalls.

We'll still win but it's not like you're wrong when it comes to this opposition lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back