Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he's not Cornes. He doesn't use Cornes' arguments. He also isn't Rowie, Rowie says a deal will get done. Marty insists that the SANFL will get everything they want.

He's just a flag waving "No AFL in SANFL" numpty.

No AFL $ in SANFL? Ok to that from me :)

Story about West Adelaide and how they have to liquidate assets to service debts in the paper this morning. Funny how the SANFL would rather pay $10m as a lump sum back to the AFL then give struggling clubs $1m each to keep their head above water and use the remainder to pay $2m off of their debt. Actually, it's not funny - it just proves once and for all that the SANFL looks after itself rather than the clubs it supposedly represents.

Yeah so much this. The SANFL clubs and the flogs who support them are just as much a victim of Whicker & Co as we are but they're so stupid they have no idea they're being fleeced.

A fair few Crow fans are waking up but the older Crows and the SANFL diehards will never figure this out.

Caro's Thursday SA article will be due out this afternoon/evening. I wonder if she has out scooped Rooch again. It's a pity that draft night will dominate her spot on 5AA. I hope her AFL sources have leaked something good.

You're right, draft day will dominate, so it's probably not in the clubs interests to leak any info this week.

Caro's Thursday SA article will be due out this afternoon/evening. I wonder if she has out scooped Rooch again. It's a pity that draft night will dominate her spot on 5AA. I hope her AFL sources have leaked something good.

Caro's club sources are exceptional too. Just as the sanfl uses Cornes and Rowe as their mouthpieces, Caro would be one person our club in particular would be using to take this battle to a national audience.

You're not on trial REH, you are a savant who knows more about this s**t than the rest of us combined.
No, I'm somebody who reads widely, understands financials - just like sog35 and FishingRick04 and remembers things - and if I don't, I know where and how to access the info. But I cant provide details of stuff I don't know and that hasn't been released for public consumption. Otherwise if I did that, I become another marty and am just making s**t up as I go along. That's not my MO.

Last edited:
One problem. Marty is an idiot.
Then you have two options
1. ignore him or
2. approach his arguments/ramblings like you are Byron Pickett about to tackle a Lonie brother - ie keep it short, sharp and brutal.

Then you have two options
1. ignore him or
2. approach his arguments/ramblings like you are Byron Pickett about to tackle a Lonie brother - ie keep it short, sharp and brutal.
Ignoring him means his message gets airplay. Smashing him with evidence to the contrary means people see how wrong he is.

Only people firmly in the SANFL camp agree... well even then I don't think they agree with his arguments, just that the SANFL are "good" and should have money.

This is one issue where the Clubs and their fans can present a united front.

*plus Tealster bay'ers can be pleased because he's keeping me away from the bay. :p lol

Personally I cannot see what it has to do with the SMA. Surely how the AFL Clubs distribute tickets that they have pre sold to their Members is between them and the AFL. I suspect that the SMA will angle for a cut of any re sold tickets and this is symptomatic of the whole Adelaide Oval deal. The SMA, which is dominated by the SANFL, wants a cut of everything.

Do you know how a resale of tickets works?? You cant just hand in your piece of plastic back to the club for a week. I wouldnt do it, and the club wouldn't waste its time trying to match up pieces of plastic with buyers.

It involves a software system and a cost of that, and a ticketing company. The SMA run the stadium and via its contract with Ticketek, the ticketing. What you would need to do is get the ticking company to produce a paper ticket with a barcode that is reflective of the members bar code, maybe one additional number to be reflective of the # of home game of the season, and it has to be able to be scanned by the AO scanner system. All that means the SMA has to get involved because it has to know what is happening with resales, and to try to match anticipated crowd with staff and catering requirements. There are costs involved - the SMA shouldn't get anything but this all costs money to process. The difference between what Ticket and club buy back the ticket for and then re-sell the ticket, should cover that, but I have learnt to never assume.

Here is the basic info on the swans system
http://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/services/release-your-seat/

And then you can spend the next 15 minutes reading the terms and conditions linked below to see how it works and why its not a simple process. Whilst our database has issues, I wouldnt partake in any scheme Port introduced.
http://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/terms-conditions/

No, he's not Cornes. He doesn't use Cornes' arguments. He also isn't Rowie, Rowie says a deal will get done. Marty insists that the SANFL will get everything they want.

He's just a flag waving "No AFL in SANFL" numpty.
Marty is the case for a "Team Supported: SANFL". Because he clearly doesn't give a s**t about the Crows

Ignoring him means his message gets airplay. Smashing him with evidence to the contrary means people see how wrong he is.

Only people firmly in the SANFL camp agree... well even then I don't think they agree with his arguments, just that the SANFL are "good" and should have money.

This is one issue where the Clubs and their fans can present a united front.
*plus Tealster bay'ers can be pleased because he's keeping me away from the bay. :p lol

Whilst it is seemingly diminishing, their is still a significant portion of your supporter base that are still trapped in some 1990's time warp who cant let go. I'm not talking about the Marty's of the world, I'm talking about the ones that still go on ad nauseum about the treachery of Port, how much they've cost the SANFL blah blah blah. Their hate and bitterness blinds them.

Not that Port's alleged "treachery" and dastardlyness is anywhere on this type of scale, but look at what happened to (West) Germany and Japan after WWII. The winning powers had the choice whereby they could send them back to the stone age, or they could rebuild them. 20 years on they became economic powerhouses which undoubtedly helped the European, Asian and World economy. There are still people in power at the SANFL and a still significant portion of your supporter base who think Port should still be punished and deserve nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only people firmly in the SANFL camp agree... well even then I don't think they agree with his arguments, just that the SANFL are "good" and should have money...

Part of my answer was to ask him for figures - detailed and specific from his mates at the SANFL. You only have to type one or two sentences saying the same thing and if you do it 100 or 200 times then he might get the message.

Life's a big journey, I don't want to waste my time on that journey having to deal with *en idiots - but if you want to then that's your prerogative.

A BREAKTHROUGH that will lead to improved match day returns for Adelaide and Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval remains a way off, but the parties are inching closer to a deal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-26/better-cut-close-for-sa-clubs
The banner does not match the story. Gillon's quotes have nothing about a deal been any closer.

We have had some robust discussions," he said on Wednesday. "We are not there yet but I think everyone understands we need to get this right from the Premier down.

"We will get there. I'm just not sure when."

Reads as SANFL continue to be campaigners who won't give an inch.

The banner does not match the story. Gillon's quotes have nothing about a deal been any closer.

We have had some robust discussions," he said on Wednesday. "We are not there yet but I think everyone understands we need to get this right from the Premier down.

Yep. We've heard this line for literally months. I seriously want to know how we can harm this organisation.

Papa G back in June on page 77 of this thread straight after the 2 posts I linked below, you asked about food and beverage set up at Subi and if the clubs or WAFC got the $$$ from there. So I have read a few old WAFC reports. 2006 to 2013 reports are at
http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafc/annual-reports
The_Wookie

2006 page 23
The oval’s management and its caterer, Spotless, implemented a revised liquor license with the Director of Liquor Licensing, WA Police and the
City of Subiaco, as well as upgrading its alcohol management plans for the 2006 season. The changes around the oval worked extremely well
and the feedback from all was very favourable.

The WAFC again hired out its video screen panels during the AFL off season, to generate additional revenue. The SubiScreen business
hired screens to the WA Turf Club for the Perth Cup, Melbourne Cup and Summer Carnival, at Gloucester Park for Telstra Rally Australia,
ANZAC Day Ceremony on The Esplanade, WACA International Cricket matches, concerts at Sandalford and Kings Park, the Royal Show and
the RockIt concerts at Arena Joondalup. The screens will be used at new events including Hopman Cup at Burswood and the Leeuwin concerts
in Margaret River.

The venue also hired out its event management expertise and casual event staff to Telstra Rally Australia, Burswood Dome, RockIt, Sandalford
Winery and was involved in the Fremantle International Beer Festival at Fremantle Oval in March 2006.

2013 page
Hospitality
There is a wide range of corporate facilities and function rooms at Patersons Stadium offering first class comfort and seating. The total dinner seating capacity of the seven function rooms is 1300 people. The function rooms are used extensively for up to 150 corporate and community events
throughout the year. In addition, there are 59 corporate suites which can host approximately 900 guests and an additional 176 private boxes
which host a further 1,270 guests. A full catering service is provided to each of the corporate suites, before, during and after sporting events.

Catering
The Stadium Management Team supervises a catering contractor that operates the 38 food and beverage outlets within the venue. There are
12 retail food outlets and 26 bars within Patersons Stadium. The food outlets are supplemented by 18 mobile vending units.

In 2013 the food experience at the Stadium was enhanced with a focus on providing a quality range of retail food delivered to the fans fast.
With a review on the retail speed of service, the average queuing time was reduced from over five minutes to less than three minutes. This was achieved through improved queuing structures, more tills and increased production levels in line with demand, whilst also increasing fan satisfaction levels.

So if you read the 2013 WCE and Freo financials I posted at these 2 posts on page 77
WCE + Freo side by side
WCE matching revenue to expenses

And if you read below a section of the WAFC showing the group result ( ie WCE+Freo+WAFC - transactions within the group out) and WAFC's result you see they have a singe figure for 2013 for revenue from operating activities of $12.5mil and no cost of goods sold expenses which when read with the 2006 annual report page 23 above and 2013 - sounds like they have an SMA type set up with the SACA and SANFL, where the WAFC get a sales commission from food and beverage but their contractor has to bare the cost of goods sold as well as match day costs which are then passed on to the clubs.

From what I can work out the clubs get all the hospitality/corporate box income for the match day and the WAFC for functions during the week. The contractor would obviously charge clubs the cost of food and booze to service those corporate facilities.

So looks like the AO model is a Hybrid Subiaco model with the big difference being that at Subi the clubs would keep the revenue form the 8,000 AOSMA footy members, the 32 x 18 people super boxes and the 1,455 Stadium Club members and not share it with cricket, but the amounts charged for the super boxes and Stadium club memberships wouldnt be as high without cricket.

This is what the WA Major Stadia Task Force report in 2007 said about sharing revenue and I have the table and definition from that report in the first post of this thread. So looks like the WA clubs get very little if none of the catering revenue associated with food and booze sold at kiosks.

Under the proposed hiring arrangement for the stadium /
stadia, the venue hirer would pay the venue owner a rent
based on a percentage of gross ticket revenue and corporate
sales and will retain the remaining revenue associated with
admissions, corporate suites / boxes, function rooms and
merchandise sales. Revenue for the venue owner will include
the rent paid by the hirer (or a share of the revenues) and the
revenue associated with naming rights, signage / advertising,
pourage rights, catering rights and venue memberships (if
available). The hirer has to reimburse the owner for venue
related event day expenses.

upload_2014-11-26_16-29-51.png

$6.7mil of the 11.8mil facilities expense is depreciation.

upload_2014-11-26_16-50-31.png

[/I

$ANFL campaigners will drag it out like last year and clubs will have to sign jut be4 the season again unless someone steps in?

$ANFL campaigners will drag it out like last year and clubs will have to sign jut be4 the season again unless someone steps in?
They'll try, but with Ricciuto and Fagan the bovines finally have some people in charge that haven't grown up with a buddha statue of Basheer they rub each day for luck. On-field he may hate us, but at least Roo is smart enough to see off-field on this occasion splitting with us only benefits the SANFL. And Fagan as an outsider has no 'Portz stabbed us in the back in 90, if we have to lose a finger for them to lose a hand it's all good' mentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back