Opinion State of Origin footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Duryea tutt rowe witts clisby young addison zac williams terlich

They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel

And people want to bring back stage of origin?

Mod Edit: This interesting discussion started off elsewhere and seemed worthy of its own thread - so the messages got moved across.

imagine a vic team with the likes of ablett, swan, pendlebury, Watson,dangerfield...ok ill stop now.

I'd ******* love it. You should see the dumbfounded looks on rugby league fans faces when I explain to them state of origin is an AFL concept. I'm up here in QLD these days. I remember watching a footy flashbacks episode of the Vics vs Croweaters in the early/mid 90's. The Vic forward line had Ablett, Plugger, Dunstall and Lyon. Absolutely phenomenal! Club self interest killed the idea and it is a damn shame.

I'd ******* love it. You should see the dumbfounded looks on rugby league fans faces when I explain to them state of origin is an AFL concept. I'm up here in QLD these days. I remember watching a footy flashbacks episode of the Vics vs Croweaters in the early/mid 90's. The Vic forward line had Ablett, Plugger, Dunstall and Lyon. Absolutely phenomenal! Club self interest killed the idea and it is a damn shame.
Yeah, Someone on the main board posted what the state of origin teams would look like now, you could actually field a legitimate 22 for each state.
Victoria would be close to unstoppable though.
Id love it back, but never will unfortunately.

Yeah, Someone on the main board posted what the state of origin teams would look like now, you could actually field a legitimate 22 for each state.
Victoria would be close to unstoppable though.
Id love it back, but never will unfortunately.

Never say never. I would have said the ANZAC day game would never be between anyone but the Pies and Bombers. Look at this years fixture. We have 3 of them. We can only hope it has a rebirth!

Never say never. I would have said the ANZAC day game would never be between anyone but the Pies and Bombers. Look at this years fixture. We have 3 of them. We can only hope it has a rebirth!

If it happens ever again it'll be some watered down wank fest.

If we were to go to 17 rounds, we could have it. It was a joke back in the 80's though, with as you mentioned earlier, clubs putting self interest ahead of SOO. Until 89 when we finally wanted to smack SA & all the stars played.:D G Brown, Jezza medal for BOG Vics. Enormous man love.:D

It doesn't work.

Would love it but Clubs won't want it as they don't want injuries to happen to there Stars in these sort of Games.

Bit like what happen to Fraser in 2008 in the ALL-STAR Game and did his MCL and Never was the Same after that game

The problem with state of origin footy is that it's difficult for them to arrange two competitive teams that fans would feel perochial enough to support. Yeah, we'd have the Victorians, but against whom? "All stars" and "Allies" are rubbish concepts because people don't identify with them.

It's a similar issue with the All Australian team - we'd would love to see them play on the park together, but against whom?

It works for rugby league because there's two states involved (two and only two), both states are competitive (yeah, the Queenslanders would argue otherwise) and there is strong perochialism amongst the fans.

The problem with state of origin footy is that it's difficult for them for arrange two competitive teams that fans would feel perochial enough to support. Yeah, we'd have the Victorians, but against whom? "All stars" and "Allies" are rubbish concepts because people don't identify with them.

It's a similar issue with the All Australian team - would love to see them play on the park together, but against whom?

It works for rugby because there's two states involved (two and only two), both states are competitive (yeah, the Queenslanders would argue otherwise) and there is good perochialism amongst the fans.

The All Australian team V the Fans favourites would be amazing

The public get to choose 15 players (who missed AA selection) and the coach of the team gets to pick the last 7 to make sure all positions are covered.

Play it at the MCG would get 80k easily.

The All Australian team would have more skill but their team balance would be all out of wack where as the Fan Favorite team gets a bigger chance to structure their team better with the coach getting some say in which players get picked. The All stars v the Underdogs, I think people would get behind it.

For example the 2013 version could of been:

All Australian:

B: Enright Thompson Johnson
HB: McVeigh Taylor Mitchell
C: Griffen Selwood Pendlebury
HF: Dangerfield Cloke Jack
F: Roughead Cameron Wingard
FOLL: Minson Swan Ablett
INTERCHANGE: Boak Hannebery Mackie Watson
Coach: Clarkson

VS

Fans Favorite:

B: Morris Mcpharlin Richards
HB: Hodge Gibson Birchall
C: Murphy J.Kennedy Cotchin
HF: S.Johnson Franklin Beams
F: Rioli Riewoldt Walters
FOLL: Sandilands Fyfe Liberatore
INT: Jones L.Thomas Hanley Jetta
Coach: Malthouse

I think it's a winner

:thumbsu:

:confused:

I think you and I hang out with different fans! :p

I don't like the man just think he is the logical coach for that situation, would create the most interest and excitment. Lyon probably is the most qualified however no one wants to see his negative style in a match like this

The public get to choose 15 players (who missed AA selection) and the coach of the team gets to pick the last 7 to make sure all positions are covered.

The venue audience is insignificant really. It's the TV audience which provides the big numbers and the big dollars.

The All Australian team would have more skill but their team balance would be all out of wack where as the Fan Favorite team gets a bigger chance to structure their team better with the coach getting some say in which players get picked. The All stars v the Underdogs, I think people would get behind it.

I think the idea has merit :thumbsu:

But the challenge is going to be to get the clubs to release the players, and fitting it into the schedule.

All Australian:

Did Franklin not make the AA team this year?

And he's getting paid how much?!? :eek:

VS

Fans Favorite:

You've made a mistake with team selection here.

You've said that the coach gets to select players, you've made Malthouse the coach, but you haven't included Dale Thomas in the team? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like the man just think he is the logical coach for that situation, would create the most interest and excitment. Lyon probably is the most qualified however no one wants to see his negative style in a match like this

I think for a one-off game, the coaches wouldn't get very strategic about it. They'd just make their players play free-flowing footy.

QLD v NSW?

It'd piggy back off the NRL rivalry.

I'm sure they would get right behind their stars like Witts Zac williams Duryea clisby tom young terlich tutt addison as they run out onto the scg.

Realistically the best SO format we could have at the moment is a round robin between SA WA VIC then have a final between the top 2 teams played over 3 weeks in the preseason.

For memory the QLD team is actually quiet decent compared to the NSW team,

B: Dempsey Keeffe Merrett
HB: Harbrow Thompson (GC) Gilbert
C: Armitage Zorko Hall
HF: White Riewoldt Hampson
F: Mcguane Tippett ----
R: Hale J.Thomas Beams
INT: Z.Smith ---- ---- ----

But not good enough to challenge a div 1 team

Would be amazing if NSW and QLD could improve and their states got behind them and we could have a truly national SoO carnival between vic sa qld nsw tas wa with national rankings.

Hopefully GC and GWS and their new academy's for QLD and NSW players will allow a lot more to come through.

Sate of Origin was a concept that worked OK until the mid 80's when the Vic clubs decided that the club was more important.

I loved the concept, I loved being at that 89 match, it was a ripper. It just has no place in OUR game right now.

I could list the reasons why but it would take too long. For once I'm willing to argue this, so if anyone thinks they can give me a working scenario where SOO works, bring it on.:D

I can't see SoO working but a 2 team system could. East v West or like what's been mentioned, the 2 grand final captains have a school yard pick. What could be interesting if the AFL zoned teams eg East v West (have Ess/WBD/GWS etc in West) and then play for 1 premiership point. All the teams that make up the winning side get a bonus point for the season. It'd stop coaches withdrawing players. I can't see it getting support however so it'd never happen.

It's awful in the aspect that if a SoO game were to go ahead involving Victoria and SA I'd probably go for Victoria just because I like so many Victorian players and I really don't like the Crows and Port. What I love about SA is Farmer's Union Iced Coffee and then I went to a Woolworths Safeway in Melbourne last year and they had those too.

I can't see SoO working but a 2 team system could. East v West or like what's been mentioned, the 2 grand final captains have a school yard pick. What could be interesting if the AFL zoned teams eg East v West (have Ess/WBD/GWS etc in West) and then play for 1 premiership point. All the teams that make up the winning side get a bonus point for the season. It'd stop coaches withdrawing players. I can't see it getting support however so it'd never happen.

No comment.:)

It's awful in the aspect that if a SoO game were to go ahead involving Victoria and SA I'd probably go for Victoria

Yeah, me too with NSW. I struggle to even bring myself to support NSW in league State of Origin.

What I love about SA is Farmer's Union Iced Coffee ...

You forgot to mention West End lager :p.

All Australian:

VS

Fans Favorite:

I think it's a winner

The 'others' team would get smashed every year...It would be like Collingwood senior side playing the Collingwood VFL side... The best 22 possible vs the next best 22...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back