Opinion The Northern States Next Generation Academies. The New Advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
We got rid of COLA.

Time now to diminish the very real advantage the northern clubs will have with their academies.

It's already paying dividends and I suspect that benefit will only increase from here as the game slowly grows north of the border and those clubs get even better at persuading junior prospects away from the allure of another code like Rugby as they age.

Honestly the academies for the Victorian clubs are next to useless now as we don't have same access to the best prospects like a Sydney or Brisbane.

If the AFL refuses to make the eligibility requirements for NGA prospects the same for all clubs then at the very least the Northern clubs shouldn't be able to apply a discount when matching bids. They need to pay more if they want access to more.

Something has to give because as it stands now these academies only have to produce first round prospects every few years for it to be a genuine advantage as a quality draft selection/s over a greater quantity of later round draft picks generally leads to better players and outcomes.

We have a salary cap and a draft system in place to try and equalise the competition and yet here we are with an AFL endorsed uneven playing field.

How it that fair and reasonable?

COLA probably cost us the 2002 Premiership.

I don't want the NGA advantage to cost us likewise even though it might already be to late for a team in 2022.

We got rid of COLA.

Time now to diminish the very real advantage the northern clubs will have with their academies.

It's already paying dividends and I suspect that benefit will only increase from here as the game slowly grows north of the border and those clubs get even better at persuading junior prospects away from the allure of another code like Rugby as they age.

Honestly the academies for the Victorian clubs are next to useless now as we don't have same access to the best prospects like a Sydney or Brisbane.

If the AFL refuses to make the eligibility requirements for NGA prospects the same for all clubs then at the very least the Northern clubs shouldn't be able to apply a discount when matching bids. They need to pay more if they want access to more.

Something has to give because as it stands now these academies only have to produce first round prospects every few years for it to be a genuine advantage as a quality draft selection/s over a greater quantity of later round draft picks generally leads to better players and outcomes.

We have a salary cap and a draft system in place to try and equalise the competition and yet here we are with an AFL endorsed uneven playing field.

I don't want the NGA advantage to cost us likewise even though it might already be to late for a team in 2022.

“COLA” literally stands for “Cost of living allowance”, why would Brisbane have been getting an allowance to adjust for the cost of living?

We got rid of COLA.

I’d love to go back to Zones rather than the draft and an under 19 system. Gives the clubs full responsibility and ownership of the youth system.

I don't think the AFL particularly cares about the fairness of such arrangements. They want to foster the sport in northern states and guide people away from the rugby codes towards ours, and in turn make more money from their expansion clubs.

The AFL is one of the most unfair competitions in the world. Most of its practices spits in the face of equalisation.

Don’t get me wrong, I 100% agree with you, but we’re about to enter the third draft in a row where the best player in the draft is already tied to another club, hindsight tells you the best two players were last year. No wonder some sides down the bottom are in a mess.

If it were up to me I’d remove all draft concessions and make it completely open.

Last edited:
Would that have also included Naicos and FS? It's a grey area.
I like FS for nostalgia reasons. But personally I’d get rid of it

Is the game any worse if Daicos was playing for North or GWS I don’t think so. But the ramifications and advantages it provides some clubs are huge.

The best example is always going to be Geelong with Scarlett, Ablett Hawkins etc, but look at Brisbane this year, they can extend their run by removing some older more expensive players and targeting Dunkley, knowing they’re also getting the best kid in the draft who’s ready to play now on peanuts for two years.

Daicos x2, Moore is very strong for us.
I think academies are fair for new clubs that don't have father/son possibilities. There should be some limits though.

When you have Brisbane/Sydney with a father/son top pick (Ashcroft, Blakey) and the potential of academy players, you have a problem.

Is the game any worse if Daicos was playing for North or GWS I don’t think so. But the ramifications and advantages it provides some clubs are huge.

The best example is always going to be Geelong with Scarlett, Ablett Hawkins etc, but look at Brisbane this year, they can extend their run by removing some older more expensive players and targeting Dunkley, knowing they’re also getting the best kid in the draft who’s ready to play now on peanuts for two years.
Back in 2000s the FS rule was even worse and compounded the advantage. E.g. Geelong in 2006 picked Hawkins at 41 with FS, then got to keep their pick #7 and selected Joel Selwood.

We benefitted too obviously at times, e.g. Travis

Plus Heath/Rhyce Shaw.

Definitely too generous back then. The newer clubs had a legitimate complaint there.

Its clearly different for the northern states given its more about expanding talent and football in those regions and reducing the go home factor.

Some get lucky with FS's. Some get lucky with academy kids. Its not always a guarantee. How many academy kids are successful? Probably a small amount.

Look at Richmond, they have two of Brisbane academy kids, so its not like you have to keep them

I think f/s should stay because there is an element of luck but once the expansion clubs get into the 2nd generation it is equal for all. It is not though with academies in terms of who each club gets access to and how they have to pay for that player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the interview Fly gave on Yokayi Footy
'We're not perfect': McRae on Pies' culture

In it he mentions his intent to bring CFC back to a "country style footy club" where families and everyone is welcome (even mentions the meat tray raffles). One of the strengths of country footy is the generation of new talent from juniors to seniors and it's one of the intangibles of "old school VFL footy" that we used to have zones and under 19 teams of our own where you could watch and monitor the progress of your youngsters as they progressed through the ranks. Watching that 1986 U/19 team was a godsend in a period of scarce senior success and to see Gavin Brown, Crosisca, Monkey and Micky McGuane come on was encouraging to say the least.

Today we have AFL, AFLW, VFL, Netball and Wheelchair teams but we don't get to manage our own juniors in their development (except the Daicos squad!).

Like the Couldabeens used to say.....Under 19's Bring it back!

Plus Heath/Rhyce Shaw.

Definitely too generous back then. The newer clubs had a legitimate complaint there.

Nothing to do with generosity, everything to the breeding prowess of a teams players. Every team had access to the same concessions.

Its clearly different for the northern states given its more about expanding talent and football in those regions and reducing the go home factor.

Some get lucky with FS's. Some get lucky with academy kids. Its not always a guarantee. How many academy kids are successful? Probably a small amount.

Look at Richmond, they have two of Brisbane academy kids, so its not like you have to keep them

The Sydney academy should never extend into strong footy regions like Canberra, Wagga, and Albury. Those regions already had strong football afl leagues so there was never a development element to them.

Watch the interview Fly gave on Yokayi Footy
'We're not perfect': McRae on Pies' culture

In it he mentions his intent to bring CFC back to a "country style footy club" where families and everyone is welcome (even mentions the meat tray raffles). One of the strengths of country footy is the generation of new talent from juniors to seniors and it's one of the intangibles of "old school VFL footy" that we used to have zones and under 19 teams of our own where you could watch and monitor the progress of your youngsters as they progressed through the ranks. Watching that 1986 U/19 team was a godsend in a period of scarce senior success and to see Gavin Brown, Crosisca, Monkey and Micky McGuane come on was encouraging to say the least.

Today we have AFL, AFLW, VFL, Netball and Wheelchair teams but we don't get to manage our own juniors in their development (except the Daicos squad!).

Like the Couldabeens used to say.....Under 19's Bring it back!

We’d have done okay over the last couple of seasons if we had Oakleigh as our U19s. Can we get those kids back?

Imo the game is worse the more we sanitise and move away from club connections.

Having Nick Daicos at North or Carlton eats away at the fabric of the club supporters and game imo.

Peter loses part of his connection with the club etc as he has to barrack for his sons teams.

The father son one is a crap shoot Collingwood and Geelong the 2 that have benefited the most where most other teams have slim pickings but it is swings and roundabouts with it there will come a time our club gets sweet fa and other teams get the rub of the green.

I think the pool from which Northern Academies can pull from dwarfs the amount of eligible FS prospects that come through.

So the stream of talents is incomparable.

On rop of this those clubs also have FS system in place.

Daicos x2, Moore is very strong for us.
I think academies are fair for new clubs that don't have father/son possibilities. There should be some limits though.

When you have Brisbane/Sydney with a father/son top pick (Ashcroft, Blakey) and the potential of academy players, you have a problem.

Yep double dipping. It's a huge advantage.

The Sydney academy should never extend into strong footy regions like Canberra, Wagga, and Albury. Those regions already had strong football afl leagues so there was never a development element to them.
It doesn't.

The whole system seems to up the s**t. The draft is supposed to be the great equaliser but it's so tampered to death that it's a waste of ******* time.

Scary prospect that Logan McDonald can’t get a game in this team. He would be our lead key forward tall in our side.
He has played the majority of games this season and doesn't kick a goal a game. Both of your statements are incorrect.

They also acquired neither Buddy nor Sam Reid through their academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back