The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the outs - "Collingwood - Pendlebury(player conditioning decision)

You’ve not seen the term “managed” on a team selection article before? “General soreness” perhaps?

giphy.gif

Yes, but they aren't the phrases you used, are they?

Yours took a step away. From meaning.

Which is my point

So, just to be clear, I can only use the phrasing endorsed by the AFL website now? Or risk, what, getting called out by you for “rhetoric” because I said “player conditioning” instead of “managed”?

GTFOOH!

With the exception of the game against GWS (in Melb and no Toby Greene), we have struggled to play more than two good quarters of footy in any match since Rd2. We've been winning but it has felt a bit unconvincing to me. I would love to see us string together a few consecutive four-quarter performances before we start mucking around with the line-up by resting more players than necessary.

We did. We didn't even try against them in the final HandA game. Because we thought we didn't need to.

We lost the grand final that day, a month prior. I walked home seething.

Don't ever give the opposition less than your best effort to beat them. It's cancerous to do otherwise.

I don't mean that you don't have an eye to the future. You'd be silly if you didn't. But assuming that you are going to beat a particular opponent to the extent that you can handicap your own performance is a surefire way to achieve failure
I Think the team hit the wall against the Lions in 2011 and I thought we were in trouble from that point on,I remember the smirk on Malthouse,s face during that match the Cats when we got thumped by 95pts and it was bloody obvious we were done for,by the Way the Cats were resting their right through the 2nd half of that season. Obviously nobody told Malthouse and Buttifant we needed to be ready for September not the pre season cup.

If you're talking about Artistotle, then sure, mate.

But these days I think that rhetoric describes language that isn't designed to communicate so much as do the opposite.

That's the way politicians use it and that's the realm it's seen/criticised in most.

I don't think branding all language intended to be persuasive, even if sincere and genuine, as rhetoric is very helpful these days
Nah. You've misunderstood it. It's used to describe language that is aimed at persuading through means other than an appeal to reason. It's used for emotive appeals as well as waffle or jargon used to suggest credibility.

You used emotive rhetoric (I'm not saying that as a criticism).

I Think the team hit the wall against the Lions in 2011 and I thought we were in trouble from that point on,I remember the smirk on Malthouse,s face during that match the Cats when we got thumped by 95pts and it was bloody obvious we were done for,by the Way the Cats were resting their right through the 2nd half of that season. Obviously nobody told Malthouse and Buttifant we needed to be ready for September not the pre season cup.
Malthouse screwed up in the GF by playing two injured players.
Reid and Jolly.
Jolly couldn't even jump on the first bounce. Reid got murdered by Hawkins.
We all knew both were injured before the game.

So, just to be clear, I can only use the phrasing endorsed by the AFL website now? Or risk, what, getting called out by you for “rhetoric” because I said “player conditioning” instead of “managed”?

GTFOOH!

I concede.

You win.

My hat is off to you sir

Nah. You've misunderstood it. It's used to describe language that is aimed at persuading through means other than an appeal to reason. It's used for emotive appeals as well as waffle or jargon used to suggest credibility.

You used emotive rhetoric (I'm not saying that as a criticism).

It's cool, sr36.

Thanks for your input man

With the exception of the game against GWS (in Melb and no Toby Greene), we have struggled to play more than two good quarters of footy in any match since Rd2. We've been winning but it has felt a bit unconvincing to me. I would love to see us string together a few consecutive four-quarter performances before we start mucking around with the line-up by resting more players than necessary.
I would think it's on purpose that we are only putting our foot down for a couple of quarters.

Last edited:
Malthouse screwed up in the GF by playing two injured players.
Reid and Jolly.
Jolly couldn't even jump on the first bounce. Reid got murdered by Hawkins.
We all knew both were injured before the game.
Not to mention Malthouse was sooky & sulky about the succession plan in 2011. I'll never forget him going on the Footy Show on the eve of the finals and he spent the whole time whining about Ed's (disastrous) idea. I didn't know who I was more furious with...Ed, for the stupid succession plan or Mick for sooking about himself whilst we had an opportunity to go back to back.

I would think it's on purpose that we are only putting our foot down for a couple of quarters.

I doubt that. Switching on and off is a dangerous habit. Mightn’t be able to switch on if suddenly needed.

I’d prefer to aim to lead every match at 1QT and then extend the lead every Q thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that. Switching on and off is a dangerous habit. Mightn’t be able to switch on if suddenly needed.

I’d prefer to aim to lead every match at 1QT and then extend the lead every Q thereafter.

I think it's pretty obvious actually & depends highly on who the opposition is. We did what needed to be done in the first half against Carlton. And held them in that 3rd quarter when they changed a few things but couldn't score.

We've done that in quite a few games this year. As opposed to last year when we seemed to leave it until the last quarter.

I don’t think it’s right to group the next two games.

North have some decent players who put together patches of decent footy. It is more of a danger game.

WCE by contrast is basically a WAFL team. No danger of losing that one at all.

Our slow mode isn't switching off. It's playing it safe, going boundary line and not playing on as much

spot on, just because Geelong chose to rest players last year doen't mean we have to follow. there is no doubt we are mixing it up during games. I think it's a brilliant way to keep the synergy while not disrupting our regular 22 too much

It's not swithing on and off, it's changing the game plan for a quarter or 2. It's called having a game plan A, B and C.

spot on, just because Geelong chose to rest players last year doen't mean we have to follow. there is no doubt we are mixing it up during games. I think it's a brilliant way to keep the synergy while not disrupting our regular 22 too much
I agree, I think Fly and his coaching group are all over this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back