The Next Two Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've got cellar dwellers North Melbourne and WCE in the next two weeks. Is it time to manage a few blokes, who are a bit sore, and get senior games into the likes of Ginnivan, McInnes, Macrae, Bianco and Allen?

OR

Given that we've had such an injury interupted season, do we continue to play our best available 23 to fine tune our game?

Absolutely for resting players over the next two weeks, and giving a few on the cusp a run. Macrae and Carmichael especially. Maybe even giving Allan and Ryan a debut game.

Keen to see how we manage this next fortnight. Would love the luxury to rest a few of the older legs, maybe save a trip to perth for a vet or 2. Also would love to give a look to macrae and carmichael, maybe one or two others.

But equally we can't be complacent and don't want to flirt with form. North probably should have got up over sydney last week, and gave us a scare last year. West coast are a bit of a bogey side for us and are every chance to see simmo leave in the next few weeks and come out fired up at home. Not to mention if you pick say carmichael and rest adams, and carmichael gets 20 and kicks 3, what do you say to him when you've got to get adams back in to the team?

Always a tricky balance between managing guys and maintaining selection integrity. I think it comes down to if someone's sore you just lower the threshold for when you don't play... easier said than done though.

I think any resting/management would be minimal. With McStay, Lipinski and Frampton due back in 2-3 weeks, we already have some upcoming team instability. It's possible they'll all be ready for the Melbourne game. If they are ready (mostly McStay and Lipinski), it will be a difficult decision whether we play them all or leave some out till after the bye. Useful additions but rustiness and team cohesion will be an issue. Ideally they'd have been ready to return against Eagles or Roos.

Doubt we rest anyone for the sake of it. Would only be if there are players dealing with something that a rest could help with. We do have a bye coming up.

We've been mostly healthy in regards to our mids and other running players, so we haven't had a chance to give opportunity to some of our backups (Markov getting an extended run has been useful). That can be an issue if we get a spate of injuries towards later in the year, but purposely weakening the team to provide opportunity is always fraught with danger. We did lose to the Eagles and almost lose to North last year.

We've got cellar dwellers North Melbourne and WCE in the next two weeks. Is it time to manage a few blokes, who are a bit sore, and get senior games into the likes of Ginnivan, McInnes, Macrae, Bianco and Allen?

OR

Given that we've had such an injury interupted season, do we continue to play our best available 23 to fine tune our game?
I’m a massive proponent of resting players, candidates for me are Mitchell, Moore, Murphy, Maynard, Adams, Daicos junior and any player really showing fatigue that could lead to injury.

All other professional sports codes do it, I can’t see why we don’t.

I’ve proposed it in the lead up to the last few finals series, people were tearing up and abusing me. I was correct in the end. Fit teams win premierships.

Pendles to definitely stay home against the Weagles, don’t think others will be rested. We have players coming back from injury who need game time in the VFL none should come straight in. Would like JC and Finn to get a full AFL game as they’ve deserved a spot. Reef I’m afraid is not what people were hoping and can stay in the VFL. He seems to get games coming off no form in the VFL. I don’t even know what he is as a player.
Can’t see any debuts this year but Ryan and Allen are going to be good.

There is no chance anybody would put their hand up to miss Steele’s 300 and to a lesser degree, Cox’s 100.

Against the Eagles? Probably rest Moore, Pendlebury, Sidebottom.
Even Nick Daicos?

Here’s the problem. We are looking like we are finals bound. Your WHOLE junior and AFL career is based around playing finals. Yes, you may be rested…. But what if your replacement absolutely shoots the lights out. How do you get back in? Who do you replace?

Only a very select handful will get rested or volunteer. Particularly as we get closer to finals.

OR

Time to manage. Need to get games into the youngsters too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to resting players... its round 10 and we are only 3-weeks from a mid-season bye - players will get a rest then. Im sure our fitness staff will have a plan anyway, not just resting players for the sake it less than half way through the year.

Dont think it also sits well with the Fly philosophy - we need to keep our momentum going and not treating a game seriously cause we do not respect the opposition is not our brand.

No to resting players... its round 10 and we are only 3-weeks from a mid-season bye - players will get a rest then. Im sure our fitness staff will have a plan anyway, not just resting players for the sake it less than half way through the year.

Dont think it also sits well with the Fly philosophy - we need to keep our momentum going and not treating a game seriously cause we do not respect the opposition is not our brand.
Hit the nail on the head. however, I do think they will rest at least one player. We have a few in the VFL that need to be looked at, at AFL level

The Kangas played very well by all reports v Sydney. New Coach Syndrome is usually good for a few rounds, so they do present some danger.

I doubt we rest many this week. Maybe Adams or Mitchell and perhaps Elliott. Then rest Pendles v West Coast and maybe Mihochek, or even Moore, if Frampton is back?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd play Macrae in the next two games and give Mitchell one week off and Adams the other.

I'd give Elliott a rest and give Ginnivan a full game.

I'd like to see Carmichael get a couple of games But I'm not sure who he'd replace. Markov or WHE, perhaps?

Apart from those, rest anyone who is feeling sore with a like for like replacement.

Last edited:
With ~ 15 games to go to try for a flag, you can choose to view resting one of our key players for a single match as reducing their chances of a season-ending injury by about 7%.

I think some players may be rested through omissions across the next 2 weeks, and a few will be managed via the sub position.

Pendles was managed against GWS via the sub rule and Johnson yesterday. Maybe a group of 4 will be identified where they'll play a full game one week and a reduced game the next and vice versa for their counterpart.

Absolutely for resting players over the next two weeks, and giving a few on the cusp a run. Macrae and Carmichael especially. Maybe even giving Allan and Ryan a debut game.

I find the resting idea interesting as, you sometimes hear coaches talk about loading the team up with big training blocks in the second half of the year. Were a team like the Cats last year likely to have been "resting" blokes - or actually doing the opposite and loading up their endurance without the need for post game recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back