Preview Finals Week 1: Collingwood v Melbourne, Thursday 7 September, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moore on Van Rooyen
Murphy on McDonald
Howe on J.Smith
Maynard on Neal-Bullen (or Petracca)
IQ on Pickett
Markov on Chandler
WHE (designated to play more 1v1 than zone) on Fritsch

The WHE match-up is clearly controversial. I'm not sure if this will be a specific match-up (to go more conservatively 1v1 lockdown on him, in spite of the rest of the defence being more heavily zone) or whether he trained with the backs during the week purely as a back-up option.

When I saw Noble was dropped I'll be honest I thought about how WHE had been training down back and I'll be very interested come the first bounce to see whether he lines up on Fritsch. It's a huge call given he hasn't really played as a lock down defender before but he's athletically a good match. Not sure if he'd be a good enough defender to get the job done, though.

That's assuming it happens of course.

Howe would be a good option for Fritsch but suspect with this change, Howe plays forward.

If something like WHE isn't working you sub him off, put Ginnivan forward and then Howe back.

Can anyone do some mind reading of the mc as to why we've dropped Noble?

sr36 Scodog10 Jen2310 Apex36 Finnishpie Gone Critical

What is it in the strategy for this game that we take away one of our driving quarterbacks?

Can understand dropping Lippa to get the 3 ins on the park but surely not Noble, what is that the mc sees that I don't?
Honestly I’m as baffled as you. The only explanation I can think of is that they wanted to retain WHE in the side but with no spot in the forward line he’s been pushed to defence.

I can’t say I agree with the decision. Noble as a general rule provides very good drive from defence, even if his defensive work can sometimes be questionable. It’s just a weird omission for me.

When I saw Noble was dropped I'll be honest I thought about how WHE had been training down back and I'll be very interested come the first bounce to see whether he lines up on Fritsch. It's a huge call given he hasn't really played as a lock down defender before but he's athletically a good match. Not sure if he'd be a good enough defender to get the job done, though.

That's assuming it happens of course.

Howe would be a good option for Fritsch but suspect with this change, Howe plays forward.

If something like WHE isn't working you sub him off, put Ginnivan forward and then Howe back.
WHE started in defence at the first bounce against Essington.

Honestly I’m as baffled as you. The only explanation I can think of is that they wanted to retain WHE in the side but with no spot in the forward line he’s been pushed to defence.

I can’t say I agree with the decision. Noble as a general rule provides very good drive from defence, even if his defensive work can sometimes be questionable. It’s just a weird omission for me.
His disposal
Last year's finals.
Poor disposal.
And his size

Can anyone do some mind reading of the mc as to why we've dropped Noble?

sr36 Scodog10 Jen2310 Apex36 Finnishpie Gone Critical

What is it in the strategy for this game that we take away one of our driving quarterbacks?

Can understand dropping Lippa to get the 3 ins on the park but surely not Noble, what is that the mc sees that I don't?

I reckon it’s a mix: he’s been a bit down, Markov has performed better recently, the specific matchups against Melbourne don’t suit him, and Ginnivan has forced his way back in, making a dominos falling situation that pushes a defender out.

I think people can back Fly's match committee and still be surprised that Noble has been dropped for the first time under McRae heading into a final.

I'm surprised by the selection but still like that they're prepared to be ruthless to do what they think gives us the best chance of winning.

In some ways this makes the who will Daicos replace selection call in two weeks (touch wood) if we don't get injuries (tough wood) more interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His disposal is poor
So is the Hyphen's.

If it is wet and desperate, I'd much prefer Noble down back tackling, smothering and getting his head ripped off.

Frankly, been baffled by the selectors a fair bit this year. Let's hope they get this right.

Why do you think that. I really like us in the wet, we kick the ball off the ground a lot and brings players like Adams and Mitchell into the game more. I'm so confident about tomorrow
We've had some gutsy wins in the wet under Fly.

Crows at AO (both years), Port at AO, Tigers, fair few more I think too.

I think people can back Fly's match committee and still be surprised that Noble has been dropped for the first time under McRae heading into a final.

I'm surprised by the selection but still like that they're prepared to be ruthless to do what they think gives us the best chance of winning.

In some ways this makes the who will Daicos replace selection call in two weeks (touch wood) if we don't get injuries (tough wood) more interesting.

I think Naicos comes in for Cameron or Cox. We don’t need two rucks against any other side in the finals other than perhaps Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This weather is going to help the Demons damn it!

Footy gods!!!
Not necessarily, on face value yes wet weather would hamper our run game, somewhat.

These two teams use pressure on the opposition, obviously for us that leads to, in part, our turnover game but we can't categorically say that the dees don't have their own transition game - every team does.

Think it more comes down to how well either team transitions the ball, whether by turnover (us) or stoppage and clearance (them), of course this is a simplistic view given both teams do have strength in all facets of possession win.

Turnover or clearance win in either a dry or wet game would be marginal in difference for mine.

Given the G is an extremely good ground for drainage and holds surface well in wet weather I think a wet game would be a neutral game.

I’m surprised about Noble being dropped,I didn’t see that coming at all.I think Markov has surpassed him in many ways,but we’ve still being playing both of them for most of the year.I wonder what’s changed this week?

All of Moore, Murphy, and Howe available and scheduled to play in defence. Add Maynard, IQ and Pendles/Crisp options and spots are getting really tight.

Hopefully Cox and Cameron both have a blinder, and then when the rain sets in we have a difficult choice of who to sub off for Ginni.

Presumably also, there is the option of playing Howe down back and subbing off a defender, but best case scenario everyone’s still healthy and playing well, the two rucks have kept enough in the tank for one to play out the last 45 mins or so solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back