Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Apologies to Finnishpie, gonna put my own preview up for this won (see what I did there?)

You'll probably put one up that'll outdo mine lol.

The Giants, a solid game on enemy turf against a banged up Port

Here are the team stats.

They won every metric apart form cc (-1) and contested marks (-5) and equal on turnover, difference being they heavily outscored on turnover.

In short a belting, not so much on the scoreboard, none the less haven't see them play a better game this year. Can they repeat it? They'll need to in order to get over the Pies on the hallowed MCG turf, even if they do, for them to win, that's up for debate.

Interesting fact, we lost most metrics against an in form dees outfit (including cc) yet still won, we've won quite a few games losing this metric.

How so? Well our defence, not just the d50 but the whole team defence has been sublime for most of the season, definitely last week.

Switch Flicking:

Interesting about our game last week and for probably most of the season, it looks externally that we can tempo the game and play ideal game at will. Was evident in the last qt last week, definitely in defence for the whole last qt, not a fan, none the less shows we can tempo the game when we want, even against an in form top 4 team.

If you believe that last qt of ours was due solely to the dees pressure, I got bridges to sell you, one in my back pocket, goin cheap, 1 billion bucks. Safe to say Goody isn't happy with his purchase.

To be fair, the giants were in total control and seemed to have control of the whole game, however playing a banged up Port with deficiencies all over the park, Port were always up against it.

They won't be able to dictate terms so easily against us, where as we've shown we can actually dictate terms in games, will even so boldly say in rd3 at the Gabba we had some game time on our terms. Admittedly we've improved much since then.

Belief vs Belief:

As much as this game of Australian football is mostly about science and strategy, we've seen over and over that belief can be a big factor, the giants are in some sort of euphoric belief and hopefully they think they can just waltz in and take it from us. They're probably thinking they're playing better than the sum of their parts, and they probably are.

Uh uh girlfriend!

There is no stronger belief among the lists that are left than our Pies, we probably KNOW that we don't have the best list in it, the blose and the brions certainly more talented, albeit not much.

Meh, that doesn't matter, there is no closer knit playing group than ours, even if you think the giants have this belief, our belief is stronger and has held up high for nigh on 18 months.

Confidence is key, and there is this niggling thought that we still have lots of cards to play up our sleeves, we're no where our best yet we're deliberately conserving for when we need it.

^ I have ultimate confidence in this.

The advantages we have:

For starters we have the extended break vs the giants, admittedly this semi was a fairly bruise free game. Yet we have Naicos coming back chomping at the bit, we have a few players last week that will unlikely have as poor games two games in a row. Jaicos for one, Degs wasn't at his best and is probably itching to be the show off he can be, expect improved performances from these two.

We have players fighting for spots, and we have continuity, we'll basically have two changes for this game at most.

Tay is a loss but I believe one we can cover.

The disadvantages they have:

Apart from Briggs's left shoulder they've had to fly to Adelaide and will now have to fly back to Sydney for a long bus ride back to Western Sydney then back again to fly south for the 2nd last week in September.

As formidable as they are, they're up against it.

System v System, or more accurately best v best.

I doubt anyone, and I mean anyone could argue our ideal game is almost impossible to defeat, sure we haven't exactly shown our ideal game for last half of the year. Only in patches, and as I've explained this could be a deliberate ploy.

You could see in the giants game they've tried to emulate our turnover game, and they did to great effect, however our Pies are a completely different proposition.

We've shown in patches in our last two games, that we, at will, close space and turnover like we did earlier in the year then defend when we think we have the game won. Again, not a fan, but that is our mo and has proven to be successful.

The giants, well they probably played their best game this year trying to emulate our style. We've doing it for much longer and still have much improvement to come in it.

In short we won't them play our game style so easily.

The wash up:

With not much trepidation I think we win this game, with some reserve in the tank, by deliberation I might add like we've done for most of the year.

Time to put the faux team afl back on their boxes and show you can't just waltz in and show up the number one team on their home turf in front 95K fans, 100 of them being giants fans (read nsw nrl fans who have no idea about the game anyway).

The game will play out the way it should be, they'll attempt to out Collingwood Collingwood in futility.

The Pies (Premiers) by 28 pts.

Last edited:
If we let them get clean footy they will roll us. Need to kill them at the coalface and/or cause turnover.

The only comforting facts are that -

1. Port hasn’t been defending well for several weeks and so the result may flatter GWS a tiny bit

2. We won’t under estimate our opponent this coming Friday

3. We get a much needed injection of speed back with Daicos. It also forces them to think twice about going all out attack against us.

4. Adams did his hamstring at training not in the middle of the first quarter. We can plan around this.

5. Their ruck looks banged up. We could probably get away with 1 ruck which opens the door for Frampton to play on Hogan so that Moore can go full intercept mode

Very interesting that GWS get a six day break, pretty poor by the AFL. Suits us perfectly however.

Adam’s is a massive loss, GWS were furious at the contest tonight. Adam’s sets the tone for us. Macrae is a poor replacement, but I think the only option we have. He won’t attack the ball and man as aggressively, but he is better by hand and clearing the ball. Does get a fair few tackles. Mitchell is going to have to be BOG to compensate.

Daicos on for Lippa is my other change. Unfortunately I don’t think this will happen and they’ll probably drop Markov. Selecting Lippa will cost us. He’s not a finals calibre player.

I’d be open to have Noble as the sub in place of Ginni as well.

Depending on who they bring in to ruck you may consider dropping Cameron in which case you play Noble. GWS run the ball and link up very well off their contested ball. They back themselves to win it. We need the speed to keep them accountable.

Frampton is not necessary for this game, but almost certainly will be if we get through to the GF. Do you bring him in place of Cameron…this will help with intercepts and offence. The other consideration is that it will be tough to bring a player with no match conditioning straight into a GF.

Seems obvious we play a two ruck combo, I don't think Frampton gets a look in unless either Cameron / Cox sh*t the bed, even if we have a poor performance by either we're playing a banged up Briggs.

We have this area covered imo.

Pitty for Noble to not get in, even with Tay out, it's not like for like, we also have Nobles position covered with IQ and Bruzz.

Real 50/50 game for mine

The orange tsunami has been impressive

Strong midfield in contested work, run and ball movement

Fairly solid defence

and plenty of scoring power with Greene, hogan, Riccardi, Daniels

Pie’s form line on the other hand has been patchier

Pies better turn up on the day… otherwise can see them losing it to a giants team who won’t care if 95% of the crowd is against them

Real 50/50 game for mine

The orange tsunami has been impressive

Strong midfield in contested work, run and ball movement

Fairly solid defence

and plenty of scoring power with Greene, hogan, Riccardi, Daniels

Pie’s form line on the other hand has been patchier

Pies better turn up on the day… otherwise can see them losing it to a giants team who won’t care if 95% of the crowd is against them

A lot of talent in the Giants and playing some great attacking footy atm.
Their midfield taught ports mids a footy lesson, I know Tay has spent less time in the midfield but he's a big loss to our grunt work imo.

Hopefully we can get revenge for the last prelim we played against them.

Last edited:
Very interesting that GWS get a six day break, pretty poor by the AFL. Suits us perfectly however.

Not poor at all. It’s the cost of finishing seventh, you play where you are told when you are told and the scheduling should suit the more deserving teams who finished higher on the ladder. Collingwood as the top qualifier deserves an eight day break shoukd they win their way into grand final. Which the Giants would also be a beneficiary of should they win.

Plus… the Giants won’t be bothered by this.

Last edited:
Yes it was a training drill, Port put zero physical pressure on
And even so, if Port had kicked straighter in the last quarter, GWS would have lost.

Neither of the bottom half teams won convincingly this week. Both really won because their opponent couldn’t capitalise in front of goal.

Not poor at all. It’s the cost of finishing seventh, you play where you are told when you are told and the scheduling should suit the more deserving teams who finished higher on the ladder. Collingwood as the top qualifier deserves an eight day break shoukd they win their way into grand final. Which the Giants would also be a beneficiary of should they win.

Plus… the Giants won’t be bothered by this.
It was poor that Carlton Vs Melbourne was Friday night. The TV networks got priority over fairness.

Adam’s is a massive loss, GWS were furious at the contest tonight. Adam’s sets the tone for us. Macrae is a poor replacement, but I think the only option we have. He won’t attack the ball and man as aggressively, but he is better by hand and clearing the ball. Does get a fair few tackles. Mitchell is going to have to be BOG to compensate.

Daicos on for Lippa is my other change. Unfortunately I don’t think this will happen and they’ll probably drop Markov. Selecting Lippa will cost us. He’s not a finals calibre player.

I’d be open to have Noble as the sub in place of Ginni as well.

Depending on who they bring in to ruck you may consider dropping Cameron in which case you play Noble. GWS run the ball and link up very well off their contested ball. They back themselves to win it. We need the speed to keep them accountable.

Frampton is not necessary for this game, but almost certainly will be if we get through to the GF. Do you bring him in place of Cameron…this will help with intercepts and offence. The other consideration is that it will be tough to bring a player with no match conditioning straight into a GF.
How is this poor by the AFL? It’s how the finals work. Tough luck if you finish 7th and have to play the top seeded team that earns the 8 days to the grand final.

This narrative is really bugging me. I’m seeing lots of comments to this effect on social media because it’s an anti Collingwood stance. Big bad Collingwood making the poor giants travel with a 6 day break. People thinking the AFL looks after us. It’s a joke that that’s how others see things.

GWS could have made more efforts to play better footy earlier in the season and they’d have earned a home final finishing 4th.

Last edited:
They were very impressive in the 2nd quarter, but outside that the game was pretty close. Their run off half back and transition game was very impressive.
Who plays on Toby? IQ? Has been excellent 1 on 1 this year.
We won't let them run around unchecked like Port did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was poor that Carlton Vs Melbourne was Friday night. The TV networks got priority over fairness.

Not really. Highest ranked team should get the preference. Port being the highest ranked qf loser would have only had a six day break ( off a longer flight) if they played Friday night

Seems like they needed a two month break though given the injured players they selected lol.

I think Pendles needs to play a bit of a negating role on Tom Green. He is an inside monster, and we know Pendles can do the job.

How is this poor by the AFL? It’s now the finals work. Tough luck if you finish 7th and have to play the top seeded team that earns the 8 days to the grand final.

This narrative is really bugging me. I’m seeing lots of comments to this effect on social media because it’s an anti Collingwood stance. Big bad Collingwood making the poor giants travel with a 6 day break. People thinking the AFL looks after us. It’s a joke that that’s how others see things.

GWS could have made more efforts to play better footy earlier in the season and they’d have earned a home final finishing 4th.

AND Giants now being on our side of the draw also get the GF eight day break if they win. Such a non issue….

We will beat GWS on a beautiful Friday night at the MCG (I can predict the weather too) in front of 85k Pies fans.

We will scream for Nick, salute Bruzzy, cheer the super-sub Ginni, and blow kisses to Fly (I will anyway).

We will chant, and high five, and embrace complete strangers at the final siren when hope and spirit are soaring.

And repeat and repeat our mantra:

‘Our best is the best’

‘Our best is the best’

Emily Hampshire Singing GIF by CBC

Not really. Highest ranked team should get the preference. Port being the highest ranked qf loser would have only had a six day break ( off a longer flight) if they played Friday night

Seems like they needed a two month break though given the injured players they selected lol.
If you're running with that, it goes back to round 1 of the finals. Brisbane v Port should have been the Thursday or Friday night game, with us the other one, so that the highest ranked losers from round 1 got the longest break and then you can keep it rolling for the remainder of the finals.

5. Their ruck looks banged up. We could probably get away with 1 ruck which opens the door for Frampton to play on Hogan so that Moore can go full intercept mode

Have a feeling they'll make the dumb decision to go with the slow two rucks and be outrun by GWS. I'd think what you're proposing is ideal though!

If you're running with that, it goes back to round 1 of the finals. Brisbane v Port should have been the Thursday or Friday night game, with us the other one, so that the highest ranked losers from round 1 got the longest break and then you can keep it rolling for the remainder of the finals.

Both QF losers got the minimum 7 days though so didn’t get a short break. . Agree Brisbane port could have been played Friday and tv considerations are also part of it but no top four side was disadvantaged by the week one draw.

Both QF losers got the minimum 7 days though so didn’t get a short break. . Agree Brisbane port could have been played Friday and tv considerations are also part of it but no top four side was disadvantaged by the week one draw.
If they want to give that advantage to home and away position, it led to a short break and thus a disadvantage in week 3 of the finals. By playing 2 Vs 3 on Saturday night, if things went to script there was always going to be a shortened break for the loser - either in week 2 or week 3.

If they want to give that advantage to home and away position, it led to a short break and thus a disadvantage in week 3 of the finals. By playing 2 Vs 3 on Saturday night, if things went to script there was always going to be a shortened break for the loser - either in week 2 or week 3.

You’re now just arguing for the sake of it. The grand final is on a Saturday. Any team that plays on a Saturday that gets a six day break will eventually get an eight day break if they keep winning.

I’ll leave it there.

There is talk of a Tom Green elbow, anyone see it and is it suspension-worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back