Unofficial Preview Preliminary final vs gws MCG Friday 22nd September @ 7.50 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funnily enough, GWS is playing much like they did in their early years - relentless running of the ball, with potent talented forwards and goal-kicking mids. The big difference now though is that have a much harder edge and are much better defensively than they used to be.

They don't have obvious weaknesses, other than perhaps too much youth and inexperience. Hopefully the mental and physical fatigue of three finals in three weeks, and associated travel, catches up with them on Friday night.
Their weakness is wastefulness IMO. Despite being such a territory-winner, they don't convert as well as we do, and our backline is great at forcing teams into difficult shots

I haven't felt this confident in a Collingwood side since 2010/2011. A really good mixture here
I agree
Probably more stars than 2010
With them coming off what is essentially a 5 day break with a couple of weeks worth of travel mixed in, I feel like we really need to take this game up to them physically. Crash and bash in at every opportunity and wear them down over 4 quarters.
exactly ..and I could see them fading in Adelaide ..port really wasted opportunities later also while giants were slowing ...Giants jumped st Kilda and power in one quarter..that won't happen this week

So first King said Melbourne would beat us because reasons. Ignoring that we finished on top of the ladder and have been the best team all year

Now King is saying GWS will win also because reasons.

I was actually starting to respect King this year but it turns out he's really just like the rest of them which is a bit disappointing honestly.

See, unlike bandwagoners like King, I've rated GWS all season and I even rated them in the pre-season. I had Collingwood finishing 1st and GWS third. Lo and behold, that's basically exactly where both have finished for all intents and purposes.

But that's fine, it's not so much that he's jumped off Collingwood. I had serious doubt about us as far back as the North and West Coast games. But it's more that King is completely ignoring that we are in the fact the best team in the comp as of this moment and technically have been all year.

The way King sounds, you'd think we were the team that scraped into 7th playing against the Top of the table team
There has been a genuine lack of respect from many in the media all year. They think we have done a good job and Fly is cute but there is an underlying tone that says we are not the real deal and we will be exposed when it counts.

Kingy has written us off. All over the Giants on SEN this morning.
Not that I rate King - he vacillates on everything. But he's got good reason to be rating GWS.
If you take only recent form into account - that is, from Round 12 onwards, so 12 games played. GWS would have finished 2nd on the ladder.

I was curious and did a ladder from round 12 to 24 as well as a premiership window from round 12 onwards only.

With just one more win, we'd have finished 3rd in that period, but ranked 5th.

Interestingly, the 4 remaining teams are in the premiership window, and Carlton, just outside, but with the lowest AGAINST in that period.

Ladder from Round 12.jpg

Premiership window.jpg

What's the thought of going into the game with only one ruck?

GWS move the ball fast and well, maybe another runner?

Be gentle with replies as only a thought bubble.
Two rucks can really work a sore Briggs over and both provide the occasional extra marking target in the forward line. Leave the structure we have had the most success with. I heard Murphy say we don't spend much time looking at our opposition's strengths but focus on ours. We were the top team for most of the year with two rucks. Don't change your structure because of a perceived threat from your opponent. They can worry about us.

Not that I rate King - he vacillates on everything. But he's got good reason to be rating GWS.
If you take only recent form into account - that is, from Round 12 onwards, so 12 games played. GWS would have finished 2nd on the ladder.

I was curious and did a ladder from round 12 to 24 as well as a premiership window from round 12 onwards only.

Interestingly, the 4 remaining teams are in the premiership window, and Carlton, just outside, but with the lowest AGAINST in that period.

View attachment 1806821

View attachment 1806820

Mate, we all rate the Giants. It's the dismissiveness of us winning that i find fascinating. We torched the Dees in the first 45 mins of the QF but there has been zero acknowledgement of this from the like of King and co.

I'd also argue that we went in to cruise control in the final 6 weeks of the season. Whereas both the Giants and Blues were on the ropes so had to find their best footy and in turn got on a roll once the pressure was off. Will this be good enough to topple both us and the Lions this week? The 2 most consistent sides of the year.

Well, time will tell.

The Giants mids have looked like world beaters against the Saints and Port. But, they haven't faced any sort of pressure like what's coming for them on Friday night.

View attachment 1806821

View attachment 1806820
It's the old saying about statistics. I prefer Buck's simpler observation- "You get what you deserve". Coulda , woulda, shoulda! If we hadn't beaten them by 11 goals they may have finished even higher! We just beat the media darling in our first final after having our recent form called into question. We learn from that win, yet still have no respect. How dare we set our season up early and lock down a top four finish with weeks to spare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As other posters have said, I think Naicos in and Adams out will be the only change

I’d like JFN to come in for Lipinski… cause Pat’s form has been ordinary since the Cats game, and JFN brings some imo further needed pace, run and carry …and there is probably a role for Noble on Daniels as Quaynor and Maynard likely interchangeably minding Greene

Markov can then be used in a variety of ways

but sense the finals lineup is largely settled upon and Noble might find it hard to get back in to the 23

Last edited:

View attachment 1806821

View attachment 1806820
The teams they played after Rd12 were
Norf - Away
Freo - Home
Melb - TIO in poor conditions
Hawks - Home
Crows - Away (good win)
GCS - Home
Bulldogs - Away (good win but Norf beat them as well)
Syd - Away/Home (lost)
Port - Away (got pumped)
Bombers - Home (rubbish)
Blues - Away but in preservation mode

Norf - Away
Freo - Home
Hawks - Home
Crows - Away (good win)
GCS - Home
Syd - Away/Home (lost)
Port - Away (got pumped)
Bombers - Home (rubbish)
Bulldogs game was also in Canberra so a neutral ground tbh

giphy.gif

Not today sir

View attachment 1806821

View attachment 1806820
can you adjust by only including teams that finished in the final 8?

Interesting analysis on access all areas. Can see why GWS got on top in the 2nd quarter. No way our players are this poor.

IMG_1657.jpeg

Norf - Away
Freo - Home
Hawks - Home
Crows - Away (good win)
GCS - Home
Syd - Away/Home (lost)
Port - Away (got pumped)
Bombers - Home (rubbish)
Well, that puts it into perspective 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back