Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2009 the coalition under Turnbull , yes Abbott was a member of that coalition who supported labor to end Howard's Pacific Solution

because it was a waste of taxpayers money ,the boat people were coming via Nauru courtesy of the Australian taxpayer

so the pacific solution was not always the coalition policy , they backflipped from it after 2007 , and back flipped to it after 2010

Can you write my biography?

In 2009 the coalition under Turnbull , yes Abbott was a member of that coalition who supported labor to end Howard's Pacific Solution

because it was a waste of taxpayers money ,the boat people were coming via Nauru courtesy of the Australian taxpayer

so the pacific solution was not always the coalition policy , they backflipped from it after 2007 , and back flipped to it after 2010
So why did Labor backflip on it then? Was it due to their incompetence?

I'm of the belief that by and large Australians are good people, we had forgotten the price of offshore detention and when reminded of it, many didn't thought it too high. I couldn't GAF if it's a broken promise or not, that the government has shown itself to be flexible here and begin to look somewhere else for the solution is to be applauded. That said the are all still a bunch of massive campaigners.

I'm of the belief that by and large Australians are good people, we had forgotten the price of offshore detention and when reminded of it, many didn't thought it too high. I couldn't GAF if it's a broken promise or not, that the government has shown itself to be flexible here and begin to look somewhere else for the solution is to be applauded. That said the are all still a bunch of massive campaigners.
Got any ideas at all? Pity princess Hanson Young refuses them.

It seems to be a tacit admission from the government that while the boats may have stopped, the policy itself is simply too harsh and punitive. Perhaps better heads than mine will be put together and they can come up with a more workable, more humane solution to a problem that will not go away. That would be a legacy to be proud of.

It seems to be a tacit admission from the government that while the boats may have stopped, the policy itself is simply too harsh and punitive. Perhaps better heads than mine will be put together and they can come up with a more workable, more humane solution to a problem that will not go away. That would be a legacy to be proud of.
Yep have to agree-we are stopping the boats, but the cost may prove to be too great for a humane and decent country.

As Italy (and numerous other examples) have shown. The open door policy does not work.

For all the crying on this thread the solution offered by Howard and now Abbott is the only one that has been shown to work. The crying is literally irrelevant. Your way was tried and failed. It got hundreds killed and thousands in detention. Now those very same people cry about one death. What a joke, what a bunch of hypocrites.

Its not a nice, Disney solution but its one that will get the job done. As before the detention centres will empty out as people are processed and eventually closed (like before).

The fact is Australia has a final say in determining how enters this country, not the UN.

You seemed so reasonable earlier in the thread, now you're just wildly barracking.

What changed in four days Max?

Yep have to agree-we are stopping the boats, but the cost may prove to be too great for a humane and decent country.

May prove?

It was proven the first time round, and everyone knew what was going to happen this time.

Everyone acts like offshore detention was stopped on a whim for moral reasons, it wasn't.

Thank God we have Scott Morrison!

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features...on-has-acted-as-a-green-light-to-boat-people/

Foolishly, last October Italy’s left-wing government became the first European Union country to decriminalise illegal immigration and deploy its navy at huge expense to save ‘illegal’ migrants crossing the narrow Sicilian channel in open boats from North Africa (Libya mainly) in order to bring them to Italy and thus the European Union — where most remain.

The policy change, driven by a perverted mix of human decency and political correctness, was pure folly: it has acted as a green light to wannabe boat people everywhere, whose numbers soar as the chaos in Africa and the Middle East escalates. The result is an exodus of biblical proportions out of Africa into Italy. So far this year, more than 100,000 boat people have arrived in Italy — two thirds of them brought ashore by the Italian navy. That is more than double the number who arrived in 2011, the previous record year. It is estimated that the total by the end of 2014 will surpass 200,000.

Italy is unable to cope. Its few temporary stay identification centres are full to the gunnels and it has been forced to house boat people in hotels and council flats. Each boat person costs Italian taxpayers €43 a day, says the government, which is €4.3 million a day for this year’s 100,000 (so far) alone… Increasingly, the police just dump coachloads of them at big stations such as Milan with no money or documents — and buona notte, arrivederci

That's not putting sugar on the table, that's opening up a whole sugary buffet (make it to Italy, the rest of the EU is your oyster).

Must be push factors, or a gap in the monsoons....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Gough:
It seems to be a tacit admission from the government that while the boats may have stopped, the policy itself is simply too harsh and punitive
. Perhaps better heads than mine will be put together and they can come up with a more workable, more humane solution to a problem that will not go away. That would be a legacy to be proud of.

???? Not so. This development is not a mystery. All that has happened is Govt is confident it has the PS boats well and truly stopped, as result is putting its attention to PS clients in offshore camps - as happened under Howard.

In regard to Manus, it is obvious that PNG is dragging its feet and intending to renege on its agreement with Rudd - surprise, surprise - with result that Australia is going to have to resettle the PS clients processed as "genuine" refugees. Morrison is just getting in first to make it look like this is the govts own decision not one that has been forced on it. At least from govts pov they can say no permanent visas will ever be granted under their watch.

But the whole thing serves to highlight how crucial turning boats back successfuly/operation sovereign borders has been and remains to stopping the people smuggler trade. It would not be surprising if the smugglers in Indonesia test the govts resolve again if it becomes publicly clear the Manus agreement has collapsed.

Surely this development finally kills off this thread. Now that the boats are stopped and Rudds gulags are being emptied. What's left to winge about?

Surely this development finally kills off this thread. Now that the boats are stopped and Rudds gulags are being emptied. What's left to winge about?

Are you trying to convince everyone here you have a large penis or something?

Apparently it is whinging to wonder why we can't stop one detainee from being murdered by security, and another dying of a cut to his foot.

You seemed so reasonable earlier in the thread, now you're just wildly barracking.

What changed in four days Max?

Barracking?

The fact is the problem is being solved. Unlike Rudds approach it didn't cost hundreds of lives and is slowly emptying the detention centers instead of filling them. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

The open door approach was tried and was a horrific failure.

All the people crying over these 2 deaths were dead silent when hundreds were dying under Rudd. Talk about selective compassion. You have to forgive me if I don't take the crocodile tears seriously now.

Last edited:
Wait what problem are you referring to?

It may simply be a case that we have different aims for Australia's humanitarian visa program.

I think the aims are different to be honest. not a lot, but a bit.

As I said earlier, I think your position is entirely reasonable. I disagree with it though.

You're an odd breed Max zero , a conservative whose posts I can read without wanting to kill myself. There's almost a hint of optimisim in your goals and aims, which is rare for your type. ;)

I think the aims are different to be honest. not a lot, but a bit.

As I said earlier, I think your position is entirely reasonable. I disagree with it though.

You're an odd breed Max zero , a conservative whose posts I can read without wanting to kill myself. There's almost a hint of optimisim in your goals and aims, which is rare for your type. ;)

You see thats because I am not a conservative.

Anti gun, anti theist, anti private political donations (public financing only), pro gay marriage, pro abortion, pro birth control.

I would prefer it if political parties were banned.

Becareful labelling people.

Well, conservative from my point of view at least. You do present quite a few conservative opinions across a few issues, but you've got the principles of truth and fairness directing your comments, which kind of makes you a lefty by default. In any case, just paying you some respect. Cheers :thumbsu:

Something like 28,000 illegal maritime arrivals came in 8 month period under labor. That was reduced to one boat that was coached by leftist activists who still failed to smash Australian borders. Not all traitors are overseas Australia has plenty of home grown idiots that are deliberately trying to smash Australian border security. Like the activists that coached the one illegal maritime arrival boat recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back