Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Axe, great write up as usual.

Just a question on Maginness’ kicking. Do you reckon it’s similar to Worps early days where it was mostly a composure issue?

Or does his kicking when he’s got time still need a lot of work also?
When he had time his kicking was good. I think it is a composure issue. I was seriously impressed by his inside work today so if he can get the composure happening he will be huge for us.

When he had time his kicking was good. I think it is a composure issue. I was seriously impressed by his inside work today so if he can get the composure happening he will be huge for us.
Thank you very much for the reply.

And that’s great to hear it’s all coming together for him. Hopefully consistent game time at either level after the last two years will help his composure.

I think part of the intent is for the club to re-watch the footage to learn from, like game day. Someone made that comment from last week's Intra as well.

yeah, especially given the emphasis we've put on communication with fans and consistent social media content it makes more sense that there's a legit reason we aren't live streaming it

Observations from Intra Club #2 on what started as a cool and overcast day down at Waverley.

Gold

Ward
Finn M
Jeka
Moore
Scrim
Sic
Butler
Macdonald
Big Boy
Shiels
Morrison
Howe
Lynch
Nash
Callow
Serong

Brown

Worpel
Tom M
S Mitchell
JOM
Hardwick
Hartigan
Reeves
Bramble
Lewis
Kosi
Gunners
T Philips
E Philips
DGB
Duke
Long
Frost
Brockman

I'm going to start with a controversial opinion - Finn Maguiness was the best mid on the ground today. Playing for the gold team, he was all over it, had no issue finding and getting the ball, stood up in tackles, handballed well and his kicking was quite a bit better today than last week, but still not perfect. It was noticeable to me that his best kicks were when he took his time, he was managing to dispose of it well., when he rushes, he shanks it.

Morrison was classy all day and had the best play of the day when he danced around a bunch of opponents in the fwd pocket and delivered to a teammate in front of goal. One of the best on the ground.

Moore was busy and influential as usual.

Ward maintained his high standards and displayed some exquisite kicking and a massive work rate.

Macdonald was very good again. Hard to see how either of these boys don't play Round 1.

Probably the best of the new boys was Ned Long. He looks every bit an AFL standard player. He spent a lot of time at half forward. Took a nice mark and went back and cooly slotted the goal from 50 metres. In another nice piece of play, he gathered the ball hard up against the boundary line on the wing, evaded three oppo player, ignored Sicily calling for it and took the better option with a long handball to a teammate on the inside. Total composure, awareness and execution.

Tom Mitchell was prolific in the first half but quieter in the 2nd.

Seamus Mitchell had a purple patch in the last quarter where he dominated for 5 to minutes, taking a contested grab against taller opponents and one sensational running mark in the goal square plus a couple of other shots on goal. He has X factor and speed and knows where to be.

Hardwick and Sicily in the backline for the Browns were excellent, particularly Hardwick.

DGB & Jeka battled all day. Jeka got his hands on it a lot more today but couldn't convert. He could have heard 4 or 5 goals. he was a much stronger aerial threat today. probably helped that he had better mid field service than last week.

Reeves was the best ruck, but Lynch gave him a tougher time of it than last week. Reeves won the battle but Lynch definitely pushed him harder this time. Big Boy had a quieter game.

Bramble was good as was Howe.

Callow had an okay day. Got up the ground a lot.

Brocky was quiet for a lot if but had some great moments including a great goal where he span out of trouble and kicked it through from 25 metres out.

Nash was quite good. His kicking has improved.

T Philips was completely inconspicuous.

Scrim had a poor day by his standards.

Kosi started really well but was kept quiet after the first quarter.

Lewis was good but wasn't allowed to get off the chain like he did last week.

Worpel wasn't dominant like week but I thought O'meara was pretty good.

CJ, Day Impey, Wingard, Saunders, Morris didn't play.

Saunders and Morris did lots of running.

Legend, Ax. Look forward to the day when I see you at training again.

Should also add that it was my first look at Butler in match conditions. He definitely gets to the right spots in the forward line, he also pushed up to the middle and was at one stage starting in the square at a couple of centre bounces and got a nice clearance. So we may have a genuine fwd/mid on our hands.

Excuse the intrusion but I have Bramble in my keeper league, picked him up late last year and really enjoyed watching him, has he had a good pre season and will he continue to play off half back?

I think with the talk about Mitchell wanting to play a faster more aggressive game it will suit Bramble?

Excuse the intrusion but I have Bramble in my keeper league, picked him up late last year and really enjoyed watching him, has he had a good pre season and will he continue to play off half back?

I think with the talk about Mitchell wanting to play a faster more aggressive game it will suit Bramble?

He was everywhere in the intra-club today playing off half back. He'll have another great season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who only reads the reports and doesn't get to training - would I be right in saying that if the axe is to fall on any senior player that it is coming for Shiels?

As someone who only reads the reports and doesn't get to training - would I be right in saying that if the axe is to fall on any senior player that it is coming for Shiels?
Shiels was very good today in the gold team. Its going to be difficult. Morrison hasn't made too many sides and will be extremely stiff. Yes I know I have left him out of my own best 22. I think I can't do it anymore. He plays rnd 1. Someone else will have to make way

Looking at the list, shiels is the least dynamic player of those who are in the side, but is still probably in the 22, just not as secure as he was

Looking at the list, shiels is the least dynamic player of those who are in the side, but is still probably in the 22, just not as secure as he was

I think he will most likely be in the side in round one but will be under enormous pressure if his form begins to drop as the season progresses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back