Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Sydney Swan Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: John Longmire Thread for Head Coach can be found here
Executive General Manager Football: Leon Cameron
Dean Cox
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark McVeigh
Ben Matthews

Swans Academy:
Colin O'Riordan (Male Academy)

Last edited:

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
If Pyke goes to the Eagles, we may as well show J McVeigh the door as well. He has been a wonderful servant of the club but if he really wants to be a senior coach he has to spend time at other clubs.
We are now something of a destination club as we are entering a premiership window. We are well run, generally successful and stable. There Is a lot to learn for a keen assistant, but who?

Mods I couldn’t find an assistant coach thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Pyke goes to the Eagles, we may as well show J McVeigh the door as well. He has been a wonderful servant of the club but if he really wants to be a senior coach he has to spend time at other clubs.
We are now something of a destination club as we are entering a premiership window. We are well run, generally successful and stable. There Is a lot to learn for a keen assistant, but who?

So we need to look for two new assistants instead of one? Nah. For sure Macca needs to move on but maybe not this year? Maybe Buchanon? Seems to spend a fair bit of time with Horse. Move up to line coach and see who we can get for development.

Hi all, this thread is for our Assistant Coach discussions. We've not had something like this for a while tending to have separate threads but an overall Thread for analyse on their performance, comings and goings should be available to posters to encourage discussion.

Agree McVeigh would/could benefit from time in a different system..
but
Disagree with kicking him out. I get the impression he drives standards and the bloods culture - a hugh part of our success. Reckon he would've been a hard ass captain and is an unrelenting hard ass coach. McVeigh stays

Agree McVeigh would/could benefit from time in a different system..
but
Disagree with kicking him out. I get the impression he drives standards and the bloods culture - a hugh part of our success. Reckon he would've been a hard ass captain and is an unrelenting hard ass coach. McVeigh stays

confess to being a huge admirer of McPointy.

Think he needs to spend a couple of years at he Litter Box, where he’d learn a bit.

confess to being a huge admirer of McPointy.

Think he needs to spend a couple of years at he Litter Box, where he’d learn a bit.
Litter box???
Cant stand either of the Scott twins

but yep, I reckon any other system (except lolnorf) would offer plenty of learnings. In saying that McVeighs had a very strong career as a player and is having one as a coach.. Had plenty of experience in a winning and losing team under Eade, Roos & Horse + all the various assistants.

Leon Cameron is perhaps the obvious one that could step back up to senior coaching as an assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was told he was more interested in cycling than coaching.
A quick look on LinkedIn shows that with the exception of two years - 2019-2021, he's been constantly involved in football.
Reckon he'd be great to get back into the fold, lives at Clovelly too.

Hi all, this thread is for our Assistant Coach discussions. We've not had something like this for a while tending to have separate threads but an overall Thread for analyse on their performance, comings and goings should be available to posters to encourage discussion.

Good idea Ticky! The problem is that it is so hard to figure out what credit or blame assistants are due. I don't even know how the coaches at other clubs do it (for AFLCA voting on best assistant coach for the year). Surely it's all based on hearsay? Anyway, it's interesting to speculate about who's available and who might stay or go or who we would like.

I know I'll cop it for this, especially from a poster rhyming with Medford, but I'd love John Blakey back.

I know he's kinda seen as the stale "old guard", and I think the change might've been a good thing at the time. But it's worth remembering that he was Horse's right-hand-man during the most successful era this club has ever had, and he also oversaw our back-line when it was statistically being talked about as the most effective ever.

He wouldn't be a 'sexy' recruit like Don Pyke or Dean Cox were, but he's had his fingerprints all over some of our best times as a club. I'd be very comfortable having him back in the box with Horse & Pyke.

I know I'll cop it for this, especially from a poster rhyming with Medford, but I'd love John Blakey back.

I know he's kinda seen as the stale "old guard", and I think the change might've been a good thing at the time. But it's worth remembering that he was Horse's right-hand-man during the most successful era this club has ever had, and he also oversaw our back-line when it was statistically being talked about as the most effective ever.

He wouldn't be a 'sexy' recruit like Don Pyke or Dean Cox were, but he's had his fingerprints all over some of our best times as a club. I'd be very comfortable having him back in the box with Horse & Pyke.

Doubt this will happen. His move from us was partly to avoid coaching Nick.

wHY WOULD mEDFORD BE AGAINST IT ?

that would be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back