Club History Sydney Swans Mt. Rushmore

Remove this Banner Ad

A sporting Mt Rushmore is a thought exercise of selecting and enshrining four individuals for their contributions or successes in the category chosen.

Who are your four most iconic Swans - South or Sydney - who would be bestowed the honour of being carved onto a Swans Mt Rushmore?

I feel like only picking four is going to be tough and will make for some good discussions.

I personally think Skilton should be a lock for everyone

Then Goodesy

Paul Kelly

And Roosy

Geoffrey Edelsten
Dermott Brereton
Lewis Roberts-Thomson
Montana Ham

Dean Towers (sub)

Skilton, Kelly, Goodes 🔒

Last spot for me would be between Barry Round and Michael O'Loughlin. I think Round wins it with the Sydney move captaincy and Brownlow combo.

The Swans history of having great full forwards probably means they cancel each other out. If any of Pratt, Plugger, BBBHall or Buddy were the only great full forward we ever had, they'd likely claim the last spot. Maybe even Capper!

I agree with the 3 locks - Skilton, Kelly and Goodes.

The last spot is a hard one and a toss up between: Roos, Maxfield, Kirk, Lockett, Barrassi, Buddy, Longmire, Colless, Mickey O, and older supporters would have some other South Melbourne legends to put up for that.

I would lean towards Roos, bringing us the 2005 Premiership after 72yrs.

Are sure Skilton is even worthy? I once saw a photo of him cutting up a pair of cricket gloves and it put me right off him.

Interesting discussion

four most iconic swans, I looked at most important

Not in any order

Bob Skilton- actually considered not putting him in, but carried the club when it was basically irrelevant and is a link to south, also positively supported the Swans since they moved, which has been massive. considered ditching him as the club did nothing during his career but not his fault

Richard Colless- club wouldn't be about arguably without him, yes he didn't play but we were a joke before him (and some others came in) gave us some fight against the AFL and set a lot of others up for success.

Paul Roos- for coaching rather than playing, took a competitive club to the next level and without him we don't get either flag, coaches 2005 and built the 2012 side effectively

Tony Lockett- could argue differently but again until he turned up we weren't doing much, sure Barry Hall got a flag , Buddy even maybe had more hype. Plugger imo gave us legitimacy on the field .

Think we should stick with players despite the efforts of coaches, presidents etc.
Skilton
Goodes
Kelly
Bedford
There may be older players more deserving but I don't know enough about them. Bob Pratt sprang to mind but I wanted players who ONLY played for the Bloods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warwick Capper
Xavier Richards
Dean Towers
Harrison Marsh

PS: caesar88 will have 4 George Hewett's and a Tom Mitchell

How are all of you passing on Dean Towers?

Will Smith Reaction GIF by saschamoellersde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back