Club History Sydney Swans Mt. Rushmore

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do a board Rushmore I will be first there

No two head jokes
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

How about hillbilly ones? Or ones about being added 20 years later because that's how far behind the rest of us Tassie is???

We have a Dan Murphys now

What's my good friend Dan doing over the Strait? He's got me through some pretty interesting weeks this year.

He's always busy 🤣 It's like our theme park

Oh come on, you have the wild chairlift ride over the river and let's not forget... umm, yeah, the chairlift.

The chairlift at the gorge is popular my friend :p It is kind of nice to run into the gorge on a lunch run

IMG_5871.jpeg

People love moving here if they like the outdoors . Ironically I prefer the big cities. Though it is nice to only need 10 minutes to get to work etc

I've done my bit for tourism tas now

The chairlift at the gorge is popular my friend :p It is kind of nice to run into the gorge on a lunch run

View attachment 1814831

People love moving here if they like the outdoors . Ironically I prefer the big cities. Though it is nice to only need 10 minutes to get to work etc

I've done my bit for tourism tas now
Don't have to sell it to me. Love it down there. Just a shame its so ******* expensive to hire a car and I don't really care for spending two night on a boat that may or may not run due to weather.

Don't have to sell it to me. Love it down there. Just a shame its so ******* expensive to hire a car and I don't really care for spending two night on a boat that may or may not run due to weather.

Never been on the boat , * that.

If you ever head down sing out can get you a car on a corporate rate if you want .

Spent most of February camping there 5 years ago. Rained the whole 3 weeks. Had a miserable time. The boat ran OK but crikey Moses it's expensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent most of February camping there 5 years ago. Rained the whole 3 weeks. Had a miserable time. The boat ran OK but crikey Moses it's expensive.
Worked out for a weeks trip, the return boat trip with a car and overnight cabin would pretty much work out dollar for dollar compared to flights and car hire with a reputable brand like Hertz / Thrifty.

Quite surprised the name Josh Kennedy hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Now I know there's a chance of recency bias and all that, and I'm not sure at what point a 'champion Swan' becomes a 'Swans legend', but if Skilton, Kelly & Goodes are the three no-brainers, each representing different Swans eras, then JPK would have a damn good case based on his era.

If 2012-2016 was our most successful era as a club, then JPK was clearly our best player in that era. All Australian in 3/5 years. Best & Fairest in 3/5 years. Won a premiership, best finals player, only had below 20 touches in that time five times (one of them was when he got injured in the first quarter.)

That's just the 2012-2016 era. That's before you even get to his AA 40-man squad selection (and robbery) in 2017, his captaincy of the club for four years, his AFL/VFL record for most ever contested possessions...

I don't really subscribe to the idea that JPK carried us during that time, because we forget how great Hanners was in that midfield, and they both had more than handy support with Parker, Jack, Mitchell, O'Keefe throughout. But is our most successful era still our most successful era if not for JPK? I don't think so...

Quite surprised the name Josh Kennedy hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Now I know there's a chance of recency bias and all that, and I'm not sure at what point a 'champion Swan' becomes a 'Swans legend', but if Skilton, Kelly & Goodes are the three no-brainers, each representing different Swans eras, then JPK would have a damn good case based on his era.

If 2012-2016 was our most successful era as a club, then JPK was clearly our best player in that era. All Australian in 3/5 years. Best & Fairest in 3/5 years. Won a premiership, best finals player, only had below 20 touches in that time five times (one of them was when he got injured in the first quarter.)

That's just the 2012-2016 era. That's before you even get to his AA 40-man squad selection (and robbery) in 2017, his captaincy of the club for four years, his AFL/VFL record for most ever contested possessions...

I don't really subscribe to the idea that JPK carried us during that time, because we forget how great Hanners was in that midfield, and they both had more than handy support with Parker, Jack, Mitchell, O'Keefe throughout. But is our most successful era still our most successful era if not for JPK? I don't think so...
The four I nominated Skilton, Bedford, Kelly and Goodes had two things in common that JPK didn't. They played all their senior football with South/Sydney and they all won the Brownlow.
As good as JPK was neither of those is the case.

The four I nominated Skilton, Bedford, Kelly and Goodes had two things in common that JPK didn't. They played all their senior football with South/Sydney and they all won the Brownlow.
Am I thinking of the wrong player or was Bedford not the player who left us while captain to go play for Carlton?

Am I thinking of the wrong player or was Bedford not the player who left us while captain to go play for Carlton?
Well I'll be damned.
He finished up with South in 1976 then played 4 games for Carlton in 1977/78. Before and after he played for Port Melbourne in the VFA but that wasn't VFL.
Is that correct bedford ?

Let's be honest, looking at JPK and who won Brownlows in his time, if he was at a Melbourne club, he probably would have won one

Yes he did , his feet , ankles were stuffed and it was a payday , only 4 games and no one can ever say anything about his commitment to the club . He travels paying his own way to every function in Sydney.
He played for Port Melbourne before the Bloods and after he'd finished VFL.
Also Don Bradman tried hard to get him to play in SA as a lure Aussie test cricket was offered by the Don , but he stayed in Victoria and played a few seasons of shield cricket , top score was 134no facing Dennis Lillee and took 5/34 v SA including the wicket of Greg Chappell ! , He still plays a few games of cricket for the Crusaders and is still coaching at a high level.
On of the greatest people i've ever met , played with and can say a great friend .
A TRUE BLOOD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back