How many goals will Buddy kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations:

Sydney:

Essendon: A close win against Footscray with a few too many passengers, but Jake Carlisle continued his stellar form booting 8 goals, 2 in each quarter and keeping Essendon in the game for the majority of the evening. Paddy Ryder was also excellent, having 35 hitouts, 18 touches and 2 goals

Head to head (last 5): Sydney 3-1 Essendon

Sportsbet odds:

Sydney: $1.28, line ($1.85): -27.5
Essendon: $3.50, line ($1.85): +27.5

Possible sides:

Sydney vs Essendon

B: Laidler - Richards - Smith
F: Pears - Carlisle - Dell'Olio
HB: Shaw - Grundy - Malceski
HF: Chapman - Ambrose - Goddard
C: Jetta - Jack - Hannebery
C: Zaharakis - Myers - Stanton
HF: Lloyd - Reid - Franklin
HB: Winderlich - Hurley - Dempsey
F: McGlynn - Tippett - Goodes
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
R: Pyke - Kennedy - McVeigh
R: Ryder - Heppell - Hocking
I: Parker - Rampe - Rohan
I: Colyer - Z Merrett - Hibberd
S: Towers
S: Melksham

Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

This will be the biggest test for Essendon's improving forward line, Sydney have one of the best back line's in the AFL. Carlisle has kicked 12 goals in the last 2 weeks and is absolutely dominating, but Ted Richards is one of the best key defenders in the AFL over the past 3 or 4 years and will be a huge test for Essendon's key forward. Tayte Pears may get a chance with Joe Daniher's clavicle injury, and if he does his job against the third tall, whether that be Rampe or Laidler will be important to engage them and kick goals. Chapman and Dell'Olio will be important for the dons, if they kick goals it'll put a lot of pressure on the likes of Shaw and Malceski to make sure they stay tight on their man instead of trying to cut off attacks.

Midfield battle (rucks included)

This is what will most likely decide the game. Both sides have talented and mostly proven midfields, but have very different styles of play through there. Essendon's strength lies on the outside run, carry and delivery with a solid inside brigade, whereas Sydney's strength is on the inside with a better than solid outside group. Two key match ups are McGlynn playing a run with role on Heppell, who was immense in the last quarter against Footscray and Hocking on JP Kennedy, who dominated Essendon last time with 39 touches and 7 inside 50's at Docklands. Hannebery and Stanton going head to head is the 3rd match up that could make a difference in this game, both know how to find the ball and use it well most of the time but on a small ground it doesn't suit their gut running style too much. Ryder against Pyke will be interesting, Ryder's had a very consistent season and been one of the better rucks in the game recently so watch out for him to try to use his athleticism against Pyke.

Sydney forward line vs Essendon defence

This is the "how the hell do we stop Buddy" part of the ground. Essendon have struggled to contain him, Buddy kicking 50 goals in his last 8 encounters against the Bombers, and is looming large for Essendon, kicking a whopping 33 goals in his last 8 games, including 5 against Essendon earlier in the season. Fletcher is the one over the stretch that hasn't had to play on him and could be the one to get the job because all the other options have failed so far. Hooker against Tippett will be important, and will probably follow him into the ruck as to keep Carlisle forward for the game. The match up that will be interesting is Dempsey on Goodes, as the 2 time Brownlow Medalist hasn't set the world on fire, but 5 goals in the last 2 games shows an improvement for him

X-Factor player

Jake Lloyd is an interesting player, hasn't played in a loss at AFL level, he hasn't had many outstanding games but he's always done something to make him look like he'll be something at AFL level. Last time against Essendon he played one of his best games of the year with 20 touches and a bit of class, could be the one to break this game open again.

Key area for each side:

Sydney:
  • Break open the Essendon defence. It's the biggest strength of theirs so if you crack that you're halfway towards beating the bombers.

Essendon:
  • Break even inside. Sydney's contested ball winners are extremely strong, if Myers, Heppell and Hocking manage to nullify their strength at the coalface it's a big tick for the bombers

My tip

Sydney are in awesome form, looking extremely ominous. They're going from strength to strength and I see them winning this by 15 points.

Good write up

In: Belly Melksham
Out: Howlett (inj ankle/omit) J.Merrett (omit)

The suggestion of Pears in an interesting and valid one. He has played forward in VFL but I'm sick of him spudding it up whenever he plays seniors. Would prefer an underdone not 100% Belly plays will help our structure more.
Edwards/Ashby/O'Brien/Kav next in the pecking order aka emergencies for seniors.
Jetta and Hardingham have had their papers stamped.
P.S I love people's optimism but Watson won't be back for the Sydney game

Bellchambers won't play the rest of the year according to ant555 so Pears is the one for me. And when Paddy takes a break, roll him into defence and Hooker into the ruck

Bellchambers won't play the rest of the year according to ant555 so Pears is the one for me. And when Paddy takes a break, roll him into defence and Hooker into the ruck
Damn! Who is your source on Belly ant555? Belly definitely didn't play VFL today? Scary thought but yeah maybe your right give Pears a crack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Score is already Sydney 6.0.36 to Essendon 0.

I've already factored in the six goals Franklin will kick. He'll get three from the boundary, one on the run, and two more as a result of dubious umpiring. Any additional goals or behinds will come into account at the time.

He always destroys us and we got no match for him. The least amount of goals he has kicked against us since 2007 has been 4 goals, and that was once. He has kicked 5 or more every time he has played us for the best part of 7 years

Maybe Fletch can play loose as third man up against Buddy help out Hooker?

Score is already Sydney 6.0.36 to Essendon 0.

I've already factored in the six goals Franklin will kick. He'll get three from the boundary, one on the run, and two more as a result of dubious umpiring. Any additional goals or behinds will come into account at the time.

He always destroys us and we got no match for him. The least amount of goals he has kicked against us since 2007 has been 4 goals, and that was once. He has kicked 5 or more every time he has played us for the best part of 7 years
Scary but true stats

Not sure if we can beat Sydney in Sydney. Might be a stretch too much since Buddy has at least 5 goals every single game against us. I am quietly confident that we will win if the game is tight in the 4th quarter. But Buddy will probably have 6-7 by then…

But so will Carlisle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back