Preview Sydney vs Essendon, Sydney Cricket Ground, 1/08/2014 @ 7:50 PM

How many goals will Buddy kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despite having relatively no reason to be, I'm quite confident that we'll get the points. It's just one of those optimistic, positive feelings surrounding this one.

Im the opposite actually, I think we will lose this. Just got to try and limit the damage. I dont think we have enough fire power or tricks up our sleeve to beat the swans. Hope Im wrong. To win I feel we need to make the most of every opportunity and hope buddy kicks 1.7

Pessimistic pricks.

Sydney have just played their most high intensity game for the year, and coming off a 6 day break against our 12 day break will struggle with out manic tackling and intensity around the ball. What's more, the smaller Sydney ground will inhibit the Franklin/Tippett combo while enhancing our marking game. With no Joe Daniher to inhibit Carlisle on the small ground he'll play at true FF which is where most forward entries land on the small SCG, and probably kick his 3rd bag in a row because, let's face it, he's white hot at the moment.

I think we'll do them by more than the Hawks did and send a shiver off fear up the collection of nerve endings where most Norf supporters should have a spine

We're going to find it tough if we can't replace Joey. Last night Hawks overpowered Sydney by stretching their defence. Roughead, Gunston and Breust were rarely in the same spot, so they could lessen the Swans' defenders ability to team up.

That said, I always feel more confident against better teams.

I had a good feeling about Collingwood and the same here.
we will win this.

I am offended that people still talk like this in the 21st century. Your feelings count for nothing, other than as a measure of your quality of life and you would hope that our society aims to create the maximum happiness for the maximum amount of people.

If you have a reason for your confidence please share.

We're going to find it tough if we can't replace Joey. Last night Hawks overpowered Sydney by stretching their defence. Roughead, Gunston and Breust were rarely in the same spot, so they could lessen the Swans' defenders ability to team up.

That said, I always feel more confident against better teams.

Well we Carlisle can play the role that Rouhy did, Ambrose can try Gunston's role and Winderlich can do Breust's role. I would like Chappy to push high from half forward to assist the mids as his big body will be important if it can get to enough contests. Winderlich to start as a defensive half forward but to also use his brains to get off.

Hooker to Tippet, Hurley to Franklin (who would learned a fair bit from the last game) and Fletch to Goodes. If they try to stretch us with Reid playing down there too then Fletch to Reid and Hibberd to Goodes. Goodes is still better than an average footballer but he's no longer what he was. However, I'm pretty sure they'll play Reid down back on Carlisle.

Our outside run is good but still very patchy. When Watson returns it will be better because Heppell will be required a little less in engine room and able to help a lot more on the outside. Colyer has improved but is still a little flakey. If Hibberd can get his touch back then he and Dempsey combined give us the drive off half back that only a double team can do and Winderlich can play half forward where he has the ability to shut down opposition run and provide creative and persistent avenues to goal. Jetta and McVeigh didn't look that great last night so that also gives us a slight edge on the outside.

It's a little funny that we see our team as better on the outside considering where we were at the start of the season and last year. Myers, Hocking and Howlett need to really step up in there so that Heppell and Goddard can work in there and provide class just on the edge of the stoppage. I think Baguely can account for McGlynn and then Hibberd and Dempsey running forward can lead directly to a quick kick towards Carlisle on the shorter SCG.

In the end I think there is a less than 10% chance of us getting over them without Watson playing well, let alone sitting in the box. However, if we can bring the all over the ground defense that we did against Port and Collingwood and if Hoooker and Hurley get on top then we'll certainly limit the damage. If that all happens AND Carlisle plays another blinder then give ourselves a chance.

It is very important that if we lose we give a good account for ourselves as a smashing will drain the confidence of younger players and have fringe players in mid 20s questioning whether they belong at this level.

My X-factor for this game is Paddy Ryder. He is capable of tearing a game apart on the SCG floating from 45m out to 45m out at both ends. His presence there defensively means that Hurley and Hooker can play tighter close to goal and force their opponents wide. Offensively it makes up for us only having one KPF.

That's ironic. Coke with Buddy's name on it.

The joke was more aimed at the COLA I'm guessing. Are you showing surprise that a man in his early 20s earning 10k a week (now 20k at Sydney) enjoys some cocaine in their spare time? Shock horror ... who would have thunk it!

This is going to be tough. What Lance Uppercut said is one side of the coin. You can argue that they will want to bounce back. It will say a lot where we are atm how we go about it. That's what i want to see. No drop off in intensity, relentless tackling and pressure like the Collingwood game, and it will go a long way towards us winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their first quarter against us in round 9 killed the game. From that point Sydney did enough to maintain their lead and then kick a couple more in the last to extend it. From memory they got it close to 65 points then we kicked a couple of late ones.

I'm watching the game from last night now and I cannot see how we beat them without Watson and daniher. I know daniher is not kicking bags of goals, but his presence in the forward line gives us another option. We relied so heavily on Carlisle taking contested marks to beat the bulldogs and i don't think Sydney will allow that to happen again to that extent.

Going to need a big performance from our mids. If they win that battle we have a chance. Even if we beat their midfield, their forward line is so potent that they can win it even if their midfield don't beat ours.

I'm predicting them to win by 30-40.

Last edited:
Pessimistic pricks.

Sydney have just played their most high intensity game for the year, and coming off a 6 day break against our 12 day break will struggle with out manic tackling and intensity around the ball. What's more, the smaller Sydney ground will inhibit the Franklin/Tippett combo while enhancing our marking game. With no Joe Daniher to inhibit Carlisle on the small ground he'll play at true FF which is where most forward entries land on the small SCG, and probably kick his 3rd bag in a row because, let's face it, he's white hot at the moment.

I think we'll do them by more than the Hawks did and send a shiver off fear up the collection of nerve endings where most Norf supporters should have a spine
Ted Richards is a bit different to Maxwell and Roughead.

The extra days break will help however ive always felt the SCG advantages the power forwards because their can be so many entries and quick entries.

you guys know the SCG got extended right. It's like 5 meters shorter, or something like that, than the MCG/Dome, with the Dome being about 5 meters narrower than the SCG. it maybe used to be a big deal but there was this ground redevelopment thing that happened
oh i did not realise that and that is a bloody good thing for football. cheers

Pessimistic pricks.

I love your positivity Lance, and without belittling the opposition. There should be more of it.

(this may be my first ever post on your board so don't be too hard)

I married into a bomber family so this is always a bit of a grudge match. I have a verbal contract to support the bombers if they aren't playing Sydney and vice versa. (I don't always abide by it, but anyway....

Should be a good game and a win is important for both clubs. I'm not sure of the odds at the moment but I reckon the bombers will shorten during the week, so get on early.

Good luck.

So TBC to replace young gun JD this week guys , did he play VFL or bye
His ankle had a flair up, going to be out for another couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back