Analysis Sydney's depth - an analysis

Looks like Frawley already done although the Dawks stupidly posted this by accident before deleting it.

10675742_572634342865761_1964152119719079537_n.jpg

That's hilarious. Hope the deal falls through now. :p

Getting thinner by the day.

Lucky we grabbed Harley.

All seriousness its as thin as its been in a while.

Lets hope for no injuries

Malceski is only proven player worth a pinch of poo gone though

yeah we had Okeefe and LRT but who wanted to play them

the others were as unproven (eg membrey biggs) as the kids we will have next year

I think we need a couple of maturer depth players too but i dont think its much different than 2014

So we've lost:

Mal,
Lrt,
Membrey
Walsh, (replaced by Davis)
Rok, (replaced by Heeney)
Dick (replaced by Hiscox)

We're just back in 2014 territory again. Searching for mature KPDs.

Mal is a loss. But theoretically we could simply juggle positions and give Mitchell a start (Macca goes back to cover Mal and Tom enters the midfield).

Personally, I'm now excited to see whether the likes of Hewett, Biggs (if he stays), Brandon Jack or others etc can now find a regular spot.

Towers will cover Membrey. Lrt was replaced by Reid this year already.

Not much has changed really. It all comes down to whether we develop those already on our list into mature bodied depth players. Not something we've exactly struggled with over the years.

Malceski is only proven player worth a pinch of poo gone though

yeah we had Okeefe and LRT but who wanted to play them

the others were as unproven (eg membrey biggs) as the kids we will have next year

I think we need a couple of maturer depth players too but i dont think its much different than 2014
Think we are in trouble if injuries happen to keys

Last edited:
i think we are in the same trouble as this year

manageable but its a risk

Ted or Reg better be wrapped in cotton wool

But ill wait until list finalised
Not worried about the midfield at all but if the keys go down we are farked.

Ill be so surprised if the club risk this while in there premiership window.

We had a few more mature depth players last year in Walsh , Lrt , Biggs etc , this year Derickx and Laidler are the 2 so far.

i think they know what they are doing! Saying we are big trouble is BS. Armchair critics. Lay off with the drama.

Given Xavier Richards was given a 2 year senior list deal, I have to think he is in the forefront of Longmire's plans to steadily take the pressure off of Ted's shoulders. I still hope Reid is moved to CHB but it wouldn't surprise me to see Reid kept forward with Xavier given more opportunities in the senior side.

So Xavier is elevated. Will he play games '15? We've basically trialed a key defender most years recently when a Marty Mattner style bolt on trade wasn't available.

Rampe, AJ and LRT before them did it.

Not worried about the midfield at all but if the keys go down we are farked.

Ill be so surprised if the club risk this while in there premiership window.

We had a few more mature depth players last year in Walsh , Lrt , Biggs etc , this year Derickx and Laidler are the 2 so far.

But as you said yourself LRT was a truck in 2014
ROK was cooked

Walsh was no more proven than say an allirr

hopefully we keep biggs but he is no more proven than jones

we essentially had LRT ROK Laidler and Drex (inexperienced in games but a mature body) and the rest were kids with varying levels of experience.

Do we need similar experience to replace LRT and ROK say 26-28 years old i think so a Key defender and a ruckman, but especially the key defender imo.

The mids dont worry me as unless all the experienced ones go down we can rotate kids through to get experience and if JPK, Parker, Hanners, Bird, Mcveigh etc all got injured you just cant cover that anyway

Same up forward be unlucky if all 4 talls got injured

but need to cover the defence

the biggest hurt all this time has been A Johnson on the list and should be at 100 games, but life isnt always as planned

OP list/analysis updated for current status. Remember that 36 players are required

Experienced senior players

1. Franklin
2. Kennedy
3. Parker
4. Pyke
5. K Jack
6. Mitchell
7. Hannebery
8. Smith
9. Tippett
10. McGlynn
11. Shaw
12. Cunningham
13. Goodes
14. Lloyd
15. Grundy
16. McVeigh
17. T Richards
18. Rampe
19. Bird
20. Laidler
21. Rohan
22. Jetta
23. Reid

Others who have played seniors

24. Biggs
25. Towers
26. Jones
27. Naismith
28. X Richards
29. B Jack
30. Derickx

Pick 3 players yet to debut who will get a game or 2 (pick more if you feel some of the above won't play)

31. Hewett
32. Nankervis
33. Marsh

2 draftees

34. Draftee 1
35. Draftee 2

36. Johnson

OP list/analysis updated for current status. Remember that 36 players are required

Experienced senior players

1. Franklin
2. Kennedy
3. Parker
4. Pyke
5. K Jack
6. Mitchell
7. Hannebery
8. Smith
9. Tippett
10. McGlynn
11. Shaw
12. Cunningham
13. Goodes
14. Lloyd
15. Grundy
16. McVeigh
17. T Richards
18. Rampe
19. Bird
20. Laidler
21. Rohan
22. Jetta
23. Reid

Others who have played seniors

24. Biggs
25. Towers
26. Jones
27. Naismith
28. X Richards
29. B Jack
30. Derickx

Pick 3 players yet to debut who will get a game or 2 (pick more if you feel some of the above won't play)

31. Hewett
32. Nankervis
33. Marsh

2 draftees

34. Draftee 1
35. Draftee 2

36. Johnson

Was going to ask just now if you were doing another of these for the pre-draft period. Proving to be a very good indicator of where our club sits.

Isaac Heeney sounds like he is ready for senior football in 2015 so he might be a worthy guy to throw in and now that we have a Malceski shaped hole of salary in our cap, I have to think they'll go after an experienced player. I doubt he will be of similar earning capacity to Malceski but someone to top up the depth.

I'm interested to see how they work the rookies. Does Dan Robinson get another year? Does Naismith get promoted or remain as a rookie?

On average you need 36 players in a season, but how important is each watermark on the depth chart?

Top 25 are obviously critical as you'll most likely always have at least 2 or 3 best 22 players injured at one one time. I'd then say the next 3 or 4 (top 28/29) are fairly important as I'm guessing that the majority of them will play more seniors than reserves.

Without doing the math I'd say beyond that point you probably don't require too many games out of the next lot (29-36) and therefore this bracket of players aren't that important to overall team success.

I'm incredibly lazy so would never do it myself, but it would be interesting to see an average of the number of games required from players in that later bracket over the years.

I'm incredibly lazy so would never do it myself, but it would be interesting to see an average of the number of games required from players in that later bracket over the years.

That would be of interest to see how much we will likely rely on getting decent performance from those guys.

Nice name change, btw. Ingenious.

Without doing the math I'd say beyond that point you probably don't require too many games out of the next lot (29-36) and therefore this bracket of players aren't that important to overall team success.

I've already done this

I've already done this
And you can conclude &/or provide results??

Love the idea this thread proposes and it's clear that a solid core group of 25 players is vital. Settled & consistent woth great flexibility is the key IMO. The same guys that know each otger but can play all over the gound to cover outs etc Some examples would be:

Reid fwd/ruc/def
Macca fwd/mid/def
Tippo fwd/ruc
Parker, McGlyn fwd/mid
Etc etc

As has been discussed, of those core players we are most likely going to need to cover a key defender with someone not already in that core starting line up. Macca & Reid are just about it that can go back if need be. Apart from that I reckon we're going to need Allir, BJack or another young lad to step next year bigtime.

And you can conclude &/or provide results??
On average the 29th+ players will play <5 games each. The 23rd-29th ranked players are crucial as on average 3-4 of them play in each game.

On average the 29th+ players will play <5 games each. The 23rd-29th ranked players are crucial as on average 3-4 of them play in each game.
So it's vital we get guys accustome to playing multiple roles from within the starting line up. That allows greater flexibility in choosing which of the rookies we want to promote & kids we want to try out at the top level over the course of the year. The calls for Reid to just play fwd or def are midguided nased on this. His flexibility is far more valuable long term (just like LRT) than his individual contribution in the short term IMO. Just hoping we can cover the loss of guys like Goodes, Shaw, Teddy etc the next few years....

Back