Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon III - with 2023 finals on the line, GWS win by +100 / Nov4 = 7000 days since last final win / RIP D2D and T_S

Remove this Banner Ad

Slobbo stinking up for his mate, like all these accusations should remain neutral. Not this drunken turd

AFL: CEO Andrew Dillon won't commit to Opening Round concept despite initial success.
When Kevin Sheedy was told that he had been accused of racial abuse, it felt like a stake through his heart and through everything he had accomplished for Indigenous people for the past 50 years.

Stunned doesn’t go close to describing his reaction.

He was angry and most of all was saddened. He spoke briefly on Sunday and asked not to be quoted. But as his grandchildren splashed around in the pool at home in front of him, you could tell.

His voice lacked the enthusiasm and playfulness that almost always accompanies a Sheedy conversation. This hurt him. Perhaps more than losing a Grand Final.

Sheedy has created more front pages for football than probably anyone who has served the game, and this time he was in the crosshairs.

The headline might as well have been that Sheedy is a racist.

All this from a comment, allegedly made at a sportsmen’s night in 2017, that Sheedy encouraged his players to abuse Jim and Phil Krakouer in the 1980s to gain a tactical advantage.

It’s flimsy.

But mud sticks because the internet never forgets.

And that’s jarring because his good outweighs his bad 100,000-1.

Michael Long and Kevin Sheedy. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw
Undoubtedly, the brothers were dealt with appallingly through that time. The world was a naive and nasty place then. The words attributed to a bunch of Essendon players in the class action were commonplace, and not only on the footy field.

Thankfully, as education became paramount, vilification became real and punishable in football.

The AFL was the first sporting organisation in the world to introduce an anti-vilification code. That was in 1995. The AFL couldn’t right the wrongs of the past, but it sure as hell wanted to shape the future.

Sheedy was part of that.

As coach of Essendon, he took the club around Australia. From Port Lincoln to Geraldton. From Mildura to the Tiwi Islands.

He’s been to more remote communities in Western Australia and Northern Territory than every Prime Minister combined.

He engaged Indigenous Australians. He offered hope. If Michael Long from the Tiwis could make it to Melbourne, so could they.

He helped create traineeships and school scholarships and, with then Essendon official Simon Matthews, pioneered the Dreamtime blockbuster between the Bombers and Richmond at the MCG.

His contribution to and celebration of Indigenous culture in football is unmatched.

And now he’s accused of racial abuse.

Sheedy has taken the game around Australia. Picture: Alex Coppel.
The class action against the AFL might well lead to pay outs for the Krakouer brothers and the Supreme Court might not be the place to determine that. Mediation has to be the first play.

It will be complex because the 1980s were a free-for-all for racism compared to today’s standards.

Can the AFL – the semi-professional VFL in those days – be held responsible for the community, government, business and school attitudes back then?

Maybe Sheedy said those things. He says he didn’t.

And people close to Phil Krakouer say he wouldn’t make it up.

Still, it must be traumatic for him and certainly it has devastated Sheedy.

It came a week after he agreed to another venture in his Iconic football book series. There’s been the best-selling list of the greatest coaches and players, the icons of footy, and the greatest sportsmen of Australia.

What a crass bit of pandering. Oh, poor white saviour Sheeds, he was so upset that he asked me not to quote him (oh btw he doesn't mind me making our meeting and his reaction to the accusations the lede of the article lol).

Sheedy always had the air of the drunken mission priest bloviating about how he's given "them" the best years of his life, and if it wasn't for him they'd still be living in caves

Wow. Sounds like a character reference.
Meanwhile, put Clarkson to trial when the news broke. Then SOMEHOW makes ********** more serious than the krakauer brothers.

Also, how’s Damo with the no need for a please explain by the afl for the Cox incident and it was all a bit of fun, and then Lloyd telling him it has the potential to start a melee.

Are this campaigners serious?

Wow. Sounds like a character reference.
Meanwhile, put Clarkson to trial when the news broke. Then SOMEHOW makes ********** more serious than the krakauer brothers.

Also, how’s Damo with the no need for a please explain by the afl for the Cox incident and it was all a bit of fun, and then Lloyd telling him it has the potential to start a melee.

Are this campaigners serious?
Yes they are serious campaigners 👍

I’m shocked that Robbo the drunken fat campaigner would put out a positive character reference for sheeds…

Not that I’m prepared to hang sheeds or anything, Robbo stuck the boots into clarko. So he can get completely and utterly ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea if Footy Classified has covered the Sheedy stuff but briefly turned it over only to see Hutchy announcing saying they are gonna talk about the Clarko 'off season spiral' or some s**t.

Not surprising at all that Slobbo would write up a glowing puff piece about Sheedy. Big club privilege and access is a real thing and any * supporter who tells with a straight face otherwise is taking the piss.

Laughable stuff.

No idea if Footy Classified has covered the Sheedy stuff but briefly turned it over only to see Hutchy announcing saying they are gonna talk about the Clarko 'off season spiral' or some s**t.

Not surprising at all that Slobbo would write up a glowing puff piece about Sheedy. Big club privilege and access is a real thing and any * supporter who tells with a straight face otherwise is taking the piss.

Laughable stuff.
I used to watch fc all the time.
I stopped watching a few years ago when they started pushing the relocate North to tassie agenda as their lies just made me too angry.

Really? I'm not surprised at all.

Sheedy is a rusted on LNP-MAGA type prick.

Mother Teresa fooled a lot of people thanks to her charity work and media complicity of ignoring her dark side.

Yes agreed, its disgusting stuff.

What a shock, the Essendon Media Mafia completely closing ranks around Racist Nanna Sheedy.

Timmy Watson is calling Phil and Jim Krakouer liars.

Disgusting.

You can see where his drug cheat son inherited his utter lack of integrity.
Geez lucky this was posted in the Australian with a readership of 100k or so with the most important being Robert Thomson.

“But I don’t think there’s been anyone in the history of our game and in Australian sport who has ever done more and is genuinely passionate about Indigenous players, their place in the game, the fact we needed more of them, they needed to be nurtured, they needed to be encouraged. He went out of his way to learn more about the culture of Indigenous players … the whole Dreamtime at the G game. That’s one side of it.

I can think of two people who have made - and are still making - a bigger contribution to indigenous football than racist Nanna Sheedy.

Their names are Phillip and Jim Krakouer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back