Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not a very important player. He's a solid inside midfielder, that's probably the easier position to replace. He's like our 6th best midfield let's be real.

Midfield depth is important, I’d rather Adams be at a stoppage than Lipinski, Ginnivan or Macrae.

It’s a very short term recruitment by Sydney. Being a 30yr old battering ram players like Adams, who isn’t fast, the end can come quick.

Short term I want to keep him, with Pendles, Sidebottom and Howe nearing the end we should really go hard at 2024 because once those guys go we won’t be the same team and likely not a legit contender. They were massive in the 4th qtr.

But longer term it’s prob not a bad thing that he goes and we get something for him.

Led us in goal assists & 3rd in score involvements, whilst kicking 13 goals himself. His value did not come in his midfield time this season, that was more a bonus. But, even then - 3rd in tackles (really 2nd, excluding Macrae), 3rd in tackles I50 (again, 2nd if excluding Macrae), and one of our better contested ball winners.

Not so easy

I think he played that forward/midfielder role better than any of our other mids in contention for it. Obviously, that excludes JDG and Nick Daicos who'd likely do better but are required elsewhere. Mitchell, Lipinski, Pendles for instance all trialled, none as good in the forward role. I'd assume that's why they were often preferenced in the midfield. That he was able to adapt to the forward aspect meant we weren't sacrificing a forward to carry another midfield rotation, or overly commit Elliott to the midfield, which is enormously beneficial to our overall performance. It's the sum of the whole. Ginni, HH, McInnes may usurp him (if he stays) in 2024 and beyond, but that doesn't diminish his impact in 2023, or suggest he wouldn't be the incumbent in R1 2024.

Midfield depth is important, I’d rather Adams be at a stoppage than Lipinski, Ginnivan or Macrae.

It’s a very short term recruitment by Sydney. Being a 30yr old battering ram players like Adams, who isn’t fast, the end can come quick.

Short term I want to keep him, with Pendles, Sidebottom and Howe nearing the end we should really go hard at 2024 because once those guys go we won’t be the same team and likely not a legit contender. They were massive in the 4th qtr.

But longer term it’s prob not a bad thing that he goes and we get something for him.
If he goes he goes. If he was 28, there wouldn’t even be a discussion on it. He’s 30 and the fact we have a number of players 30+, we can’t prevent the future coming through.

So, in my opinion, it’s not the worse thing that could happen. However, for people to say he isn’t best 23 and basically act like he offers little and is easily replaceable is just not true.

If he goes he goes. If he was 28, there wouldn’t even be a discussion on it. He’s 30 and the fact we have a number of players 30+, we can’t prevent the future coming through.

So, in my opinion, it’s not the worse thing that could happen. However, for people to say he isn’t best 23 and basically act like he offers little and is easily replaceable is just not true.
We get well compensated. Otherwise forget about it.

We get well compensated. Otherwise forget about it.
We will probably let him go for a pick in the high 20s. Why would we stand in his way if he wants to go? The man gave his all for the club.

Nobody is bagging him out but it’s true that he’s been squeezed out of midfield rotations this year and he’s spent a lot of time forward which is not where he’s best suited. Wouldn’t get too upset by the adjectives people use.

No it's not. He was an important member of the group rotating through the midfield. Was our 4th ranked player for centre clearances averages per game this year.

Yeah, but if he leaves that frees up salary cap to get a younger lesser known player who will probably perform to a similar level in 2024 seeing as Adams is gonna get worse

No it's not. He was an important member of the group rotating through the midfield. Was our 4th ranked player for centre clearances averages per game this year.

Probably squeezed out not the ideal term but Mitchell joining the club and Naicos progressing at a rapid rate mean5 adams spent less time on ball and more forward.

My gut tells me there’s a short term replacement in Wines or Billings who we’ll bring in - whilst getting games into Mccrae through ‘24.

We can’t have all of our eggs in McCrae’s basket incase he doesn’t turn out

Maybe but not all the eggs are in macraes basket. There’s McInnes and Allan for example who also have shown potential , not to mention Naicos who clearly will get more and more game time in the middle.

Maybe but not all the eggs are in macraes basket. There’s McInnes and Allan for example who also have shown potential , not to mention Naicos who clearly will get more and more game time in the middle.
Nicks already in the side, I’m referring to someone who’s ready to play tomorrow and take his sport.

The problem with Adams - is the only way he’s missing games is through injury. He’s been around too long and has too much equity to be dropped.

A Wines/Billings type can slot straight in and play a similar role (depending on if you think Adam’s is a mid first or forward first) however there’s no expectation that they will play week in, week out. He’ll even Tom Mitchell was “demoted” to the sub a role a few times this year.

Allan, Reef and Mccrae are all longer term prospects that you’d hope overtake the role from next year, but they’re definitely our play for 2025 onward.

I think this is an opportunity from a salary cap perspective, what we get in draft picks almost doesn't matter, a second rounder is fine.

Think Nick Haynes and to a lesser degree Will Brodie makes perfect sense.

Haynes is on ~1.3m but GWS is rumoured to be willing to pay a significant portion of that, so let's just say we take on Haynes at 700 - 750k.

That's roughly the same Adams and could be a direct trade for an AA level replacement for Jeremy Howe?

Think that makes sense, what's Adams on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks already in the side, I’m referring to someone who’s ready to play tomorrow and take his sport.

The problem with Adams - is the only way he’s missing games is through injury. He’s been around too long and has too much equity to be dropped.

A Wines/Billings type can slot straight in and play a similar role (depending on if you think Adam’s is a mid first or forward first) however there’s no expectation that they will play week in, week out. He’ll even Tom Mitchell was “demoted” to the sub a role a few times this year.

Allan, Reef and Mccrae are all longer term prospects that you’d hope overtake the role from next year, but they’re definitely our play for 2025 onward.

I think wines/billings look to be expensive use of cap for limited upside. I’d rather progress our vfl players and established senior players like Nick who will demand more midfield time next year

Josh Daicos just won a Copeland..... just saying

Yeah I thought about it and makes no difference. Think he is a good player and don’t want to lose him but one of those types that are easily replaceable, teams would throw 1or 2 first rounders for him, so would jump at that

Hope I didn’t upset you, just an opinion

Sub is not always demotion. Just player management.
Titch had back issues.

Yeah I thought about it and makes no difference. Think he is a good player and don’t want to lose him but one of those types that are easily replaceable, teams would throw 1or 2 first rounders for him, so would jump at that

You'd accept 2 first rounders for Josh?
Both could turn out duds for a proven Copeland and GF winner.
I wouldn't.. not for sale

Don’t mind it if he wants to go. He’s no spring chicken. Don’t think his rig has the longevity as Pendles and Sidey, so I fear the end is near. May as well get something in return.
Having said all that, he’s a heart and soul player. Spewing he wasn’t out there last week. Great Clubman.

Easily replaceable :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Top 2 wingmen in the comp just grow on trees?

Yeah, 24yo AA wingmen grow on trees, sure we could find one just anywhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):D:D:D:D

Happy to agree to disagree on this one.

I think this is an opportunity from a salary cap perspective, what we get in draft picks almost doesn't matter, a second rounder is fine.

Think Nick Haynes and to a lesser degree Will Brodie makes perfect sense.

Haynes is on ~1.3m but GWS is rumoured to be willing to pay a significant portion of that, so let's just say we take on Haynes at 700 - 750k.

That's roughly the same Adams and could be a direct trade for an AA level replacement for Jeremy Howe?

Think that makes sense, what's Adams on?

Was Adams one of the players who pushed money back after the Beams debacle?

He had a 5yr deal done in 2019 under that fraud Ned Guy. Makes me think he might be on really big money next year, could be 900k. Would be good for our salary cap to bank some of that and use it for King next year.

I remember hearing Haynes was on 1m which I couldn’t believe, even if he was on 750k a year surely GWS would want him out and pay half.

Was Adams one of the players who pushed money back after the Beams debacle?

He had a 5yr deal done in 2019 under that fraud Ned Guy. Makes me think he might be on really big money next year, could be 900k. Would be good for our salary cap to bank some of that and use it for King next year.

I remember hearing Haynes was on 1m which I couldn’t believe, even if he was on 750k a year surely GWS would want him out and pay half.
Apparently he's on 1.3m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back