Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh right, how silly of me.
What about Dan McStay?
But again jmac, Dan intended to return to his home state for family reasons-that was the catalyst for coming to the Pies. If he had been played at CHB all year and was automatic best 22 but spat the dummy because he preferred playing as a forward I would have said the same thing. I'd welcome him of course but still see it as a weak reason to walk out on a club which had given you a leadership role.

If Noble had left I'd have more empathy, but Tay was a wanted player and considered a best 22 every week.

But again jmac, Dan intended to return to his home state for family reasons-that was the catalyst for coming to the Pies. If he had been played at CHB all year and was automatic best 22 but spat the dummy because he preferred playing as a forward I would have said the same thing. I'd welcome him of course but still see it as a weak reason to walk out on a club which had given you a leadership role.

If Noble had left I'd have more empathy, but Tay was a wanted player and considered a best 22 every week.
Maybe another way of looking at things, t adams a significant contributor to the pies success, ultimate success of getting to the 2023 gf. Lets be grateful for his important contribution and wish him well in his future

Maybe another way of looking at things, t adams a significant contributor to the pies success, ultimate success of getting to the 2023 gf. Lets be grateful for his important contribution and wish him well in his future
I loved him as a player but he's not a Collingwood man anymore so "I wish him no harm" is the best I can offer.

Screenshot_20231008_225043_AFL.jpg

We'll miss the blue (elite) stuff.

He's best 22 playing the role he plays. Having a look back at recent games he's played in the AFL app, he's usually in the top 4-5 Pies players for Centre Bounces Attended, Centre Clearances, score involvements. Kicks a goal every now and then. Had some great stats vs Geelong just recently, for example.

There's been games this year I'm sure that we wouldn't have won without Tay.

I do see him as a part of the premiership group even though he'll never have the medal.

Mitchell has overtaken him as the Centre Bounce guy, but Mitchell's field kicking is horrendous at times (high dodgy kicks). Tay can butcher it but I've felt he's been really good most of the time this year. His kicking inside 50 at times has been some of his best. His disposal has really only been poor when he's hack kicking out of congestion.

That's my feel anyway - could be wrong but I feel this is a bummer loss.

Yet after next year he'd be on 1 year contracts at best. His leadership on and off field would be awesome to maintain, and his skills for as long as his body could hold up. Given we don't know how long that will be - and it's trending worse not better - one year deals would be the best we could give him. So for him to go and take a 3 year deal I think is absolutely the right move for him and his family.

I think this does hurt us in the short term, but having a whole pre season to plan for 2024 without Tay helps. It would be no different to if and when he is injured - and we saw that in the Prelim and GF we are clearly able to still win without him.

All the best Tay. I just really wish you could have played Saturday. You deserved it.

The club has NOT been loyal to its players in the past 5 years. We simply cannot ask the players to be loyal in return.

The Mitchell situation is a bit different to the Adams one.Hawthorn almost literally pushed him hit the door,while we didn’t do anything like that with Adams.
We did with Treloar. And Grundy. And Stephenson.
You can't claim you are loyal only when it suits you.

I'm not saying i disagree with those decisions in hindsight, but there shouldn't be a Collingwood supporter that talks about Loyalty any more. Either by club or player.

The club has NOT been loyal to its players in the past 5 years. We simply cannot ask the players to be loyal in return.
I’d argue we have been too loyal with the $$$, security and triggers we have dished out that was to the detriment of the football club itself.

No player can be upset at Collingwood with the living they were making compared to others at other clubs by comparison in terms of their talent and performance

I’d argue we have been too loyal with the $$$, security and triggers we have dished out that was to the detriment of the football club itself.

No player can be upset at Collingwood with the living they were making compared to others at other clubs by comparison in terms of their talent and performance

Strange comment, all clubs have the same salary cap... if we were overpaying a bunch of players, that means others were underpaid.

We were most certainly NOT loyal to Treloar or Grundy, we pushed them out the door despite both wanting to stay. You could argue the same with Stephenson although he was a little nuts in the head, he wanted to stay too.

You can't have it both ways, ditch players when it suits us then get sooky when they're not loyal back... doesn't work.

I reckon we’ll come out well on top after this trade. It mightn’t be evident right away, but it will be an absolute win over time. Adams doesn’t have much left in the tank.

Adams is close to the end and I'm confident the club will negotiate a fair deal and hopefully does very well.

The sun will continue to rise in the morning if/when Adams goes to Sydney, and in an ideal world all parties do well out of this move.

People need to be consistent. The club makes tough calls all the time. Players get delisted on an annual basis, people who want to keep playing get pushed.

Loyalty needs to be measured both ways and not every player who goes can be assessed in the same way. Adams is not Henry.

If the club treats players well during their time as employees, and the players give 100% during their time on the list, that's all we can reasonably expect. 175 games of exemplary service says that Adams is due some respect; he has been an outstanding team man.

Last edited:
I appreciate how the club is clearly not getting caught up in sentiment when it comes to contracts with players.

We clearly have a value assigned to players now and you either accept that value to continue playing for this club or you are free to pursue offers elsewhere.

As Peter Daicos said - players need to leave something for the club in their extensions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think McRae told him he wasn’t best 22 anymore. McRae was pretty ruthless in omitting Noble who was not out of form when the decision was made. I think likely Adams would of been omitted next and the “injury” could of been spun to save grace for a former vice captain.

This is for the best interests of the club. Time to get more games into McInnes and Macrae.
Rubbish.

I think McRae told him he wasn’t best 22 anymore. McRae was pretty ruthless in omitting Noble who was not out of form when the decision was made. I think likely Adams would of been omitted next and the “injury” could of been spun to save grace for a former vice captain.

This is for the best interests of the club. Time to get more games into McInnes and Macrae.
Do you really think he would have told him before the GF or during celebrations?

Wow, what happened to being supporters?
He mostly played out of position and still gave his all.
The carrot of playing midfield and a longer contract has been dangled and it worked.
Given the apparent integrity between players and coaches I’d put money on the move being discussed in his exit interview.
The move is best for Taylor and the Club sees an opportunity to bring about some change.
My biggest concern is the IP that goes with him.
Other than that, good luck to him and I hope we reap the benefits too.

$200k for a bloke who isn’t even in your list
Getting him off our list sure payed dividends though.
The very next season and :trophy:
As for the money, given we will make $10m in revenue from sales, we will be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back