Nostradamus Lives Tex to stay, Dangerfield to leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way that it could be considered a 'blunder' by Adelaide for not trading Dangerfield to Melbourne this trade week is if he ends up going there as a free agent -

I mean, for argument's sake if Dangerfield does want to go to Geelong, why would he except a trade a season before his free agency to go to Melbourne? He wouldn't be able to just hop to Geelong the very next season...

Adelaide could of wanted to trade Dangerfield to Melbourne but because he is contracted he has to agree..and why would he want to go to Melbourne?

cash-money-bitches.jpg

I dont think he would be scratching for a buck at the crows.
And if he has a good year in 2015 his price will increase even more and he will be able to choose the club that he plays for.

Melbourne would be able to pay way more than Geelong though, he could probably get over a mil at Melbourne, probably 700k at Geelong (figures coming straight out of my arse).

Adelaide could of wanted to trade Dangerfield to Melbourne but because he is contracted he has to agree..and why would he want to go to Melbourne?

Any player has to agree with a trade for it to happen, regardless of their contract situation.

Melbourne would be able to pay way more than Geelong though, he could probably get over a mil at Melbourne, probably 700k at Geelong (figures coming straight out of my arse).

Irrelevant if you don't want to play there. That's the advantage of free agency or restricted free agency, you get to choose instead of being shunted to a club where you have no interest in being. Just like the poor bastards who will find out on Thursday that they are going to Richmond.

Irrelevant if you don't want to play there. That's the advantage of free agency or restricted free agency, you get to choose instead of being shunted to a club where you have no interest in being. Just like the poor bastards who will find out on Thursday that they are going to Richmond.

You can also make a big cash grab if you are at the end of your career and want another year or two of pro sportsman salary.

It's amazing to think that three years ago how much trouble Port were in, now I reckon 10 out of 10 draftees going to South Australia would choose Port over basket case Adelaide. But you'd choose Melbourne before this anyway, who'd actually want to live in South Australia?

You can also make a big cash grab if you are at the end of your career and want another year or two of pro sportsman salary.

It's amazing to think that three years ago how much trouble Port were in, now I reckon 10 out of 10 draftees going to South Australia would choose Port over basket case Adelaide. But you'd choose Melbourne before this anyway, who'd actually want to live in South Australia?

Thank you for your considered reply.
A short term spike and hype over Port will be short lived, but in their defence, at least their captain knows which way the wind is blowing. A feat not able to be replicated by Richmond's captain.

As for who would want to live in SA, well let's see. Dangerfield, Boak, Sloane, White, Reilly, Pittard, Lyons, Wines, Talia, Hartigan just to name a few. I won't bore you with the other 1.5 million names. Now, I like Melbourne as a city, it's just that there's the unfortunate fact that it's full of self righteous people like yourself, who actually wished they lived in Sydney.

Thank you for your considered reply.
A short term spike and hype over Port will be short lived, but in their defence, at least their captain knows which way the wind is blowing. A feat not able to be replicated by Richmond's captain.

Ha ha, bit defensive there champ! :D You sound like the older brother being overtaken by the younger brother! It's very easy to tell from an unbiased point of view that Port are doing the right thing on and off the field and will probably win a flag in the next few years. Adelaide, well it's going to be a long wait.

As for who would want to live in SA, well let's see. Dangerfield, Boak, Sloane, White, Reilly, Pittard, Lyons, Wines, Talia, Hartigan just to name a few. I won't bore you with the other 1.5 million names. Now, I like Melbourne as a city, it's just that there's the unfortunate fact that it's full of self righteous people like yourself, who actually wished they lived in Sydney.

Well yeah they're high profile AFL players but lol at you putting down the other names, classic. And I'm sure it would take you a while to write down 1.5 million names so I wouldn't expect you to. To be honest I don't like Sydney, it's too hard to get anywhere, too expensive and it's not an AFL state. I'd live in Perth before anywhere else (on my way there I wouldn't pop into Adelaide that's for sure).

Ha ha, bit defensive there champ! :D You sound like the older brother being overtaken by the younger brother! It's very easy to tell from an unbiased point of view that Port are doing the right thing on and off the field and will probably win a flag in the next few years. Adelaide, well it's going to be a long wait.

Well yeah they're high profile AFL players but lol at you putting down the other names, classic. And I'm sure it would take you a while to write down 1.5 million names so I wouldn't expect you to. To be honest I don't like Sydney, it's too hard to get anywhere, too expensive and it's not an AFL state. I'd live in Perth before anywhere else (on my way there I wouldn't pop into Adelaide that's for sure).

Well it's our loss, as I'm sure you'd bring your big spending posse with you. As for putting down the names, you asked who would want to live here, not if they were a superstar.

Well it's our loss, as I'm sure you'd bring your big spending posse with you. As for putting down the names, you asked who would want to live here, not if they were a superstar.

Well to be honest asking "who would want to live there" was more of a rhetorical question, but I wouldn't expect someone from South Australia to understand what that is.

Well to be honest asking "who would want to live there" was more of a rhetorical question, but I wouldn't expect someone from South Australia to understand what that is.

No you're right. You Victorians are so intellectually superior that we wouldn't understand a word describing a question that requires no answer.
We also wouldn't understand the nefarious acts of the Richmond Football Club and how they have impacted on the psyche of their supporters to the extent that they feel it necessary to over compensate with spurious claims unrelated to said club, in order to make themselves more at ease with their failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield last re-signed with the Crows in 2012 when he knew he would become a free agent for the first time in 2015. Since then he's continued to hone his skills and up his value. Think about it this way, you have one of the best midfielders in the competition who will be just 25 years old when he become a free agent at the end of next year and he isn't living in the state he hails from. He is going to get better beyond 2015 and other clubs know this. That is why there will be big money thrown at Paddy, particularly by the Victorian clubs. We're talking about a guy who is legitimately entering the prime of his career and is very likely to give his best years to the club that secures him beyond 2015.

So who are his potential suitors and which of them are in with a chance of landing his signature? Well I think it's fair to say you can narrow it down to the 10 Vic clubs (and the Crows). I would hazard a guess as to say Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Essendon and Richmond won't have enough cap space to afford him. IMO, you can probably also rule out Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs as they are a while off opening their premiership window and I think that will be a factor. So I'm narrowing it down to Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong. We know Geelong and Collingwood have cap space and Carlton could do the same with some maneuvering of players through the trade period. Of those three, the Cats seem the most likely to land Danger and that makes sense seeing as he is originally from the Geelong area.

Dangerfield last re-signed with the Crows in 2012 when he knew he would become a free agent for the first time in 2015. Since then he's continued to hone his skills and up his value. Think about it this way, you have one of the best midfielders in the competition who will be just 25 years old when he become a free agent at the end of next year and he isn't living in the state he hails from. He is going to get better beyond 2015 and other clubs know this. That is why there will be big money thrown at Paddy, particularly by the Victorian clubs. We're talking about a guy who is legitimately entering the prime of his career and is very likely to give his best years to the club that secures him beyond 2015.

So who are his potential suitors and which of them are in with a chance of landing his signature? Well I think it's fair to say you can narrow it down to the 10 Vic clubs (and the Crows). I would hazard a guess as to say Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Essendon and Richmond won't have enough cap space to afford him. IMO, you can probably also rule out Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs as they are a while off opening their premiership window and I think that will be a factor. So I'm narrowing it down to Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong. We know Geelong and Collingwood have cap space and Carlton could do the same with some maneuvering of players through the trade period. Of those three, the Cats seem the most likely to land Danger and that makes sense seeing as he is originally from the Geelong area.

We have cap space too. With Jackson and King retiring this year, Newman and probably Foley next year, we would free up some considerable coin. We had money this year to throw at some free agents, but were looking at 2015 as the year to make a play. Wouldn't be surprised to see us offer Danger a sizeable contract, but it may not be as big as Geelong's.

We have cap space too. With Jackson and King retiring this year, Newman and probably Foley next year, we would free up some considerable coin. We had money this year to throw at some free agents, but were looking at 2015 as the year to make a play. Wouldn't be surprised to see us offer Danger a sizeable contract, but it may not be as big as Geelong's.
I would have thought Richmond a lot of that free cap space would be going into Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance given they are also free agents.

I would hazard a guess as to say Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Essendon and Richmond won't have enough cap space to afford him.
Hale, Lake both to retire at the end 2015. We trade out Birchall to the Suns on the back of Litherland developing further, and BANG. Plenty of money to spend.

Not saying we are going to trade Birchall, but that's with a few retiring players in the coming seasons all we need is a good trade to add to that and we'll easily have the cap space.

Hale, Lake both to retire at the end 2015. We trade out Birchall to the Suns on the back of Litherland developing further, and BANG. Plenty of money to spend.

Not saying we are going to trade Birchall, but that's with a few retiring players in the coming seasons all we need is a good trade to add to that and we'll easily have the cap space.

Don't need Birchall :D

You're constant talk of potentially trading out Birchall is really poor. His best and fairest finish again this season proved he's a Hawthorn champion and will go down as such by the end of his career. Unless a godfather deal came, you don't trade out players and more importantly quality people like Birchall.

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37412-hawthorns-salary-capour-salary-cap/

interesting read.
I'd suggest you guys would need to trade out a Breust or Rioli to effectively free up enough space to have a crack at another superstar.
As it stands, your on the cusp as is.
For starters many of those players salaries would be way off. Isaac Smith wouldn't be on 400, neither would Gunston. You're looking at some random guessing our salary cap.

These players may get there or close to the next deal they make. I think that's the thing that will make it tough. We will need to reward our young guns for their performances, I reckon we will be more concerned keeping them together and not bringing in a Dangerfield or whoever it may be. Breust and Rioli are stars for us, we won't make a mistake where we lose 1 of them by trying to get someone like Dangerfield in.

The only way we would afford a superstar mid, would be if a few retired end of year which may happen if we 3 peat.

It must be said though that Mitchell, Burgoyne Hodge etc are on 1 year deals so I'm guessing their salaries would decrease each year if they keep playing on allowing more room for the others.

The Hawthorn way of the past few years hasn't been about targeting superstars anyway, it's been about filling needs (Hale, Lake, McEvoy, Frawley etc).

Would love Dangerfield but I reckon it will be a stretch and he would have to take unders compared to what some clubs could offer him, very unlikely IMO.

You're constant talk of potentially trading out Birchall is really poor. His best and fairest finish again this season proved he's a Hawthorn champion and will go down as such by the end of his career. Unless a godfather deal came, you don't trade out players and more importantly quality people like Birchall.
Harden up, son. It's a hypothetical.

A bunch of opposition posters on another forum, guessing what Hawthorn players get paid is interesting? Maybe for you, bobby.

I'd suggest you guys would need to trade out a Breust or Rioli to effectively free up enough space to have a crack at another superstar.
As it stands, your on the cusp as is.
I'd suggest you don't know how much space we have or what our list strategy is going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back