Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/priority-pick-surprise

Alan Richardson says he would be surprised if we got a priority pick, notably:

So I guess he wouldn't mind if the AFL gave St Kilda, Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong a priority pick this year? You know, because those teams have so few chances to access top 10 draft picks over the past few years. :drunk:

Not convinced that A. he supports the priority pick system as claimed, and B. that he knows what cumulative means.
That's ok looking like they will make up for that over the next few seasons.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/priority-pick-surprise

Alan Richardson says he would be surprised if we got a priority pick, notably:

So I guess he wouldn't mind if the AFL gave St Kilda, Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong a priority pick this year? You know, because those teams have so few chances to access top 10 draft picks over the past few years. :drunk:

Not convinced that A. he supports the priority pick system as claimed, and B. that he knows what cumulative means.
Lmfao. Nick Riewoldt and Luke Ball were both priority picks for the Saints. Take those two out along with the top 5 picks they had in 2001 and 2001 (and Goddard in 2002) and they'd never have made the finals in 2004-2010.

Yep, pretty impressive stuff from Richardson. Poor fella had to take over a club with 5 odd years of finals in recent history. Give him all the picks.

Every argument against us getting a pick seems to revolve around "I'm not against priority picks but I don't want them getting a pick", "they should work their way out of trouble instead of asking for handouts" or "they're so bad that one additional pick isn't going to turn them around". To me, if that's the consensus, then the system needs to go. I don't mind if they don't give us a pick, but considering the prolonged shitness, Clark's retirement, what clearly appear to be a high proportion of burned draft picks and the VFL standard of our list, if we don't get one now, then what are the justifiable circumstances? I'd be pretty unimpressed if any other club is given a pick in the next 5 years.

I disagree, I think it should be viewed on a player to player basis - Jimmy played good senior footy in the SANFL and a top ten pick would give us a great bargaining tool for a senior player.

I'm happy to keep him, just that a top ten pick would be too good to refuse.
Thats if you can get a senior player with that top 10 pick. I'm saying I'd rather keep Toumpas over another untried 18 year old.

I don't get the "we shouldn't apply for a pick" mentality from our supporters. s**t like that is the reason this club has been an easy beat for nearly the past decade. Outside of the obvious pushing the limits too far (see: Essendon) every other club is doing absolutely everything it can to win. Why would the club not apply for something that is in the rules out of a sense of moral obligation?

We've been playing for participation medals for far too long as a club, and it shows. * every other club and their whinging that we don't deserve it, it's time for them to start being ruthless and playing to win. You think that Richardson wasn't just whinging that we shouldn't get a pick because it wasn't fair, or because he's trying to drum up an argument for St Kilda to get a compo pick too?

I couldn't care less if we play the 'worst brand of footy in the history of the game', or if every club hates us if it wins us a premiership. Winners win for a reason, and we have had far too many losers at our club to get anywhere for far too long.

I don't get the "we shouldn't apply for a pick" mentality from our supporters. s**t like that is the reason this club has been an easy beat for nearly the past decade. Outside of the obvious pushing the limits too far (see: Essendon) every other club is doing absolutely everything it can to win. Why would the club not apply for something that is in the rules out of a sense of moral obligation?

If Jackson didn't apply, he wouldn't be doing his job. We're trying to get the club back on track and for all the yada yada yada about handouts instead of working hard and digging your own way out of trouble, fact is to get another round one or end of round pick will help get us there that little bit faster... which is the point of the system.

In recent years:
2014 4 wins (Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, Richmond so far, and probably it)
2013 2 wins (GWS and Bulldogs)
2012 4 wins (Essendon, GWS, Gold Coast, GWS)
2011 8 wins (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Fremantle, Richmond, Port, Gold Coast)
2010 8 wins (Adelaide, Richmond, Brisbane, Port, Essendon, Sydney, Brisbane, Richmond
2009 4 wins (Richmond, West Coast, Port, Fremantle)
2008 3 wins (Fremantle, Brisbane, West Coast)
2007 5 wins (Adelaide, Collingwood, Carlton, Bulldogs, Carlton)

So 38 wins in 8 seasons, including 3 v GWS kids and 3 v Gold Coast kids. No expansion clubs and we're looking at 32 wins in 8 years. Re: this season, we've been more competitive in terms of percentage, but also dire at times. In a way we've been quite lucky too - played Richmond (17 pts) and Carlton (23 pts) when they were woefully out of form, upset Adelaide (3 pts) at home and completed the usual smash and grab against Essendon (1 point). A little bit of bad luck or fortune and we could very easily be sitting on 1 or 2 wins for the year and collecting another spoon.

We'd be looking at another #1 draft pick if the priority pick rules hadn't been changed. Apparently it's a cardinal sin to ask for charity but no one has any issues at all with accepting it.

David King's point was pretty much spot on regarding the PP on 360 during the week.
Next season if we don't get a priority pick we will get a top two pick and then we will have the same picks as the flag winner.
We get pick 2, Premiers get pick 18, we get pick 20 etc. etc. which is not enough to bridge the ever widening gap.
Before anyone mentions the expected pick for Frawley, we are not getting that for free, we are losing an AA key backman, who can play as a swingman, and is entering what should be his prime.
This is something we will struggle to replace with an unproven teenager.

I dont understand the application then
Peter Jackson used to work for the AFL and almost still does, Why would he apply for one if we were so clearly going to be rejected

Im confused

I think even the AFL are confused, they know we need one but are worried about the rest do the football world will react, If have another crap year next year I hope we apply again.

I think even the AFL are confused, they know we need one but are worried about the rest do the football world will react, If have another crap year next year I hope we apply again.

Surely PJ could have put a call into Mark Evans off the record and said mate are we any chance of getting this across the line?
Unless the idea is for us to apply, the AFL to strongly oppose it to make themselves look good and then award us max compo for Frawley leaving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. As soon as they made the rules subjective it became a joke. Instead of getting priority picks based on clearly defined (lack of) performance, crap teams are now left begging on the whims of public opinion and petty bureaucrats. So the old system was abused a few times. Boo hoo. Everyone knew where they stood.

We should keep applying even if we know we're going to get rejected. If any other club gets granted a priority pick in the following 10 years, we should be first in the please explain line. Don't Team X have some untried, untested 18 year old player ready to play next season? How is it not Team X's fault that they are where they are? Shouldn't Team X have to work their way out of trouble as well? Of course, we very well might not be around to debate the point in 10 years if we keep bumbling along as we are, but we should still go through the motions and have the AFL justify why we're not getting picks in our current state so we can beat them over the head with their reasoning when Collingwood miss the finals and are given 3 priority picks.

I heard Evans interviewd on SEN and he basically said its for extreme circumstances only. Such as if a player passes away.

If that then is the case then I would hope teams like StKilda don't get one in the next 2 years based on lack of performance.

That's ok, I'll happily take out 12 or more of our guys.

If you took out McKenzie and Terlich, the league might send us a box of tissues as compensation. And they wouldn't be for tears.

I heard Evans interviewd on SEN and he basically said its for extreme circumstances only. Such as if a player passes away.
I'd have thought having your #1 forward and 2012 leading goalkicker retire suddenly at the age of 26 when you're already one of the worst teams in the competition would come pretty close to extreme circumstances.

I'd have thought having your #1 forward and 2012 leading goalkicker retire suddenly at the age of 26 when you're already one of the worst teams in the competition would come pretty close to extreme circumstances.

So should Geelong have to one for matty Egan?
Hawthorn for Trent croad?

What about if GWS tell Patton to retire and ask for one themselves ?

I think it opens to many possibilities

So should Geelong have to one for matty Egan?
Hawthorn for Trent croad?

What about if GWS tell Patton to retire and ask for one themselves ?

I think it opens to many possibilities
Key clause in what I said was 'one of the worst teams in the competition' bit. Geelong and Hawthorn could cope pretty easily with the losses of those two players because they were already on top and had a bunch of players who were even better. GWS telling Patton to retire at the age of 20 so that they can get a compensation pick would be ridiculous and unlikely to happen and I don't think a team would ever tell one of their best players to do that if there was a reasonable chance they could get their bodies right, nor would the player ever consent to it. I'm pretty sure the AFL would be able to measure the severity of the injury pretty easily.

Key clause in what I said was 'one of the worst teams in the competition' bit. Geelong and Hawthorn could cope pretty easily with the losses of those two players because they were already on top and had a bunch of players who were even better. GWS telling Patton to retire at the age of 20 so that they can get a compensation pick would be ridiculous and unlikely to happen and I don't think a team would ever tell one of their best players to do that if there was a reasonable chance they could get their bodies right, nor would the player ever consent to it. I'm pretty sure the AFL would be able to measure the severity of the injury pretty easily.

I'm not saying it would happen but I wouldn't call a voluntary retirement a good enough reason for a pp

I'm playing devils advocat on this one
I'd love to get a pick for it but I just don't think it's a reasonable argument
You could use it in top of the rest of our argument But I think the decision shouldn't change based on the Clark situation

Also what If they gave us a pick , then Clark came out of retirement next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back