Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're still the 17th ranked clearance side in the competition though, and Cross won't be around much longer. Geelong (who are 18th) have proven that it isn't a necessity but for a side like ours who are firmly rooted at the bottom we need that explosive power in the middle to be able to compete in contests. Otherwise we just get blown out of the water. Petracca and Brayshaw are clearance machines and probably just as physically developed as Hrovat, I reckon. Probably even more so. He's a good player no doubt but I'd rather get two (potentially) absolute guns in.
Hi All,
one midfielder who hasn't re-signed with us is Levi Greenwood. Do you think Roos would see value in that sort of player? If so, how would the trade go?
Cheers

You're welcome to make concrete statements before he's even in the AFL system, but I'll reserve judgement until I see him in said environment.

On initial showings I like what he brings to the table. It's easy to look for any perceived fault or over analyse a missed target, etc. but rather than always looking for what a young player doesn't do well recruiters study what they do do well.
I'm pretty sure I've seen you say that players who are soft and can't win the contested ball as juniors are going to struggle at AFL level, you've used this example on Toumpas in the past. Stretch has heaps of talent but his softness means picking him up in the second round is a big risk to us, he is a development player and I would rather go for a more ready made ball winner with our second round pick.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you say that players who are soft and can't win the contested ball as juniors are going to struggle at AFL level, you've used this example on Toumpas in the past. Stretch has heaps of talent but his softness means picking him up in the second round is a big risk to us, he is a development player and I would rather go for a more ready made ball winner with our second round pick.

He will be a 3rd rounder for sure, one of the other sides would have to bid their first pick on him or Stkilda bid their 2nd (20) We will get him for a 3rd rounder

Hi All,
one midfielder who hasn't re-signed with us is Levi Greenwood. Do you think Roos would see value in that sort of player? If so, how would the trade go?
Cheers

We were into him last year, My feeling is he is using us as leverage to get a better deal at the Roos but we would surely take him if he wanted to go
Id imagine our 2nd pick (21) would be on the table potentially

He will be a 3rd rounder for sure, one of the other sides would have to bid their first pick on him or Stkilda bid their 2nd (20) We will get him for a 3rd rounder

We were into him last year, My feeling is he is using us as leverage to get a better deal at the Roos but we would surely take him if he wanted to go
Id imagine our 2nd pick (21) would be on the table potentially
Thanks Nick,
he's a good player, runs all day and pretty quick, hard at man and ball, good long kick but has has some problems with hitting up the chip kicks. Brad Scott made him improve his disposal and he's much better than a year or two ago. I like him and would be sad to see him go, but we have a really promising in and under player to come into the team (Trent Dumont), whose disposal is good. Perhaps trade with Frawley's compensation pick (if he goes).

Thanks Nick,
he's a good player, runs all day and pretty quick, hard at man and ball, good long kick but has has some problems with hitting up the chip kicks. Brad Scott made him improve his disposal and he's much better than a year or two ago. I like him and would be sad to see him go, but we have a really promising in and under player to come into the team (Trent Dumont), whose disposal is good. Perhaps trade with Frawley's compensation pick (if he goes).
Depends on what we get for Frawley - if we get Pick 3 there's no way you're getting that for Greenwood (or at least for Greenwood alone).

Thanks Nick,

Your not suggesting Pick 3 ...

No, I'd be surprised if you got 3 for Frawley. But, say, mid first round? (10,11)

There is no such thing as a Mid first round, which you wouldnt get close to with Greenwood alone

Frawley has a 5 year contract on the table, all signs point to first round compensation pick

Fair enough, pick 21 nothing to sneeze at ...
That comment was purely in principle.

In reality if we attained 2 top mids with a PP and regular 1st then I reckon a Greenwood type isn't even on the radar. We start looking at ruck/KPF/KPD types with our 2nd rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That comment was purely in principle.

In reality if we attained 2 top mids with a PP and regular 1st then I reckon a Greenwood type isn't even on the radar. We start looking at ruck/KPF/KPD types with our 2nd rounder.

All depends whats available right, if there is nothing decent there as Roosy has said we will stock up on mids
May aswell have too many than not enough

All depends whats available right, if there is nothing decent there as Roosy has said we will stock up on mids
May aswell have too many than not enough
For sure, I'm not penciling in anything, I have NFI about the draft prospects. I'm simply saying that we have other areas of concern that will come in to play as the draft goes on. Whether the quality is there is another issue. I think Roos said it is harder to judge but if we nail the earlier picks then they may take that into consideration. Our 2nd rounder could potentially get a decent mid no question so it's not something they'll flirt with.

For sure, I'm not penciling in anything, I have NFI about the draft prospects. I'm simply saying that we have other areas of concern that will come in to play as the draft goes on. Whether the quality is there is another issue. I think Roos said it is harder to judge but if we nail the earlier picks then they may take that into consideration. Our 2nd rounder could potentially get a decent mid no question so it's not something they'll flirt with.

If you had a choice between a young ruck and a young KPD with our 2nd pick what would you go for?

I think the KPD needs to be sorted first, because im sure we could get by with Spencer and Pedo/Fitzy in the ruck if we need it next year

If you had a choice between a young ruck and a young KPD with our 2nd pick what would you go for?

That's a hard one. Assuming that the respective player was worthy of the pick in question for their given position then I might steer slightly to KPD purely because we need a spine and our back 6 lacks a bit of shape sans Frawley.

Having said that it also comes down to what other roles the player can play. If the ruck can genuinely play forward ala Mitch Clark then they are a massive asset. Also, apart from Jamar who has experience I have no confidence in any of the other rucks forming a good combination with the mids. I like Gawn but I don't know how switched on he will be. We don't just need ability, we need rucking smarts and understanding between players. Spencer & Fitz scare me in this area.

In the wash it is generally accepted that it is easier to get a ruckman later on in the draft or via trade who can be competent so it would have to be a very good prospect at pick 21ish. If there is a standout ruck at 21 though I would hit it with no hesitation if there are no decent prospects further on.

That's a hard one. Assuming that the respective player was worthy of the pick in question for their given position then I might steer slightly to KPD purely because we need a spine and our back 6 lacks a bit of shape sans Frawley.

Having said that it also comes down to what other roles the player can play. If the ruck can genuinely play forward ala Mitch Clark then they are a massive asset. Also, apart from Jamar who has experience I have no confidence in any of the other rucks forming a good combination with the mids. I like Gawn but I don't know how switched on he will be. We don't just need ability, we need rucking smarts and understanding between players. Spencer & Fitz scare me in this area.

In the wash it is generally accepted that it is easier to get a ruckman later on in the draft or via trade who can be competent so it would have to be a very good prospect at pick 21ish. If there is a standout ruck at 21 though I would hit it with no hesitation if there are no decent prospects further on.

I guess at 21 your talking a potential Brodie Grundy because not many teams will use their first pick on a Ruck

I guess at 21 your talking a potential Brodie Grundy because not many teams will use their first pick on a Ruck
I guess the only real setback is the development time.

Go the KPD at 21. That should get a solid enough promising tall who might be ready to go in a few years.

Look at the ruckmen floating around the competition... Ceglar keeping McEvoy out at Hawthorn, Jacobs at Adelaide was a Carlton fringe player, Mike Pyke is a rugby player, SME at Brisbane, Cameron Wood now appears to be Carlton's first choice, Derickx looked reasonable at Sydney after getting dumped by Richmond, Giles at GWS after getting dropped by Port, Currie at the Roos after Sydney dumped him, Griffen is an Adelaide cast off, etc etc etc.

No need to worry about not having a ruckmen. If we want one, we hop on the merry-go-round like most of the other clubs. There's a bit of debate on how useful ruckmen are; there is no debate on how useful classy midfielders, quality forwards and lock-down defenders are.

Re Greenwood, I wonder if we'd consider giving up pick 3 (Frawley compo) for Greenwood and North's pick 11 or so? Is there enough upside in Greenwood to make that worth it for us?

Re Greenwood, I wonder if we'd consider giving up pick 3 (Frawley compo) for Greenwood and North's pick 11 or so? Is there enough upside in Greenwood to make that worth it for us?

Wouldn't have thought so. My opinion Greenwood is not the sort of player you discuss trading high draft picks. He is a big-bodied player, works hard, has had a good year but lacks polish. A lot of players around can offer similar traits so you wouldn't throw away a chance at a genuine star to pick him up.

Wouldn't have thought so. My opinion Greenwood is not the sort of player you discuss trading high draft picks. He is a big-bodied player, works hard, has had a good year but lacks polish. A lot of players around can offer similar traits so you wouldn't throw away a chance at a genuine star to pick him up.

Yeah I think you're probably right. He'd add a bit to our midfield but not for anything at the pointy and of the draft.

You're welcome to make concrete statements before he's even in the AFL system, but I'll reserve judgement until I see him in said environment.

On initial showings I like what he brings to the table. It's easy to look for any perceived fault or over analyse a missed target, etc. but rather than always looking for what a young player doesn't do well recruiters study what they do do well.

Let's not pretend you're the king of reason when it comes to judging players.

Stretch can run, he runs all day and is quick - that's what he does well.

I've watched him play 5-6 times and at the moment a third/fourth round pick is where I expect we'll get him.

Let's not pretend you're the king of reason when it comes to judging players.

Stretch can run, he runs all day and is quick - that's what he does well.

I've watched him play 5-6 times and at the moment a third/fourth round pick is where I expect we'll get him.

How many times this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back