The book thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I shouldn't enter this thread without making a contribution. I finished off Tim Winton's Dirt Music yesterday, which is a novel I made time for despite not really having time to read novels, in the same way that I don't have time to post in BF...

I like Winton. He might be a bit too 'Dymocks' for some, but he's managed to take me somewhere interesting whenever I've read him. If you're into mental wounds (self-inflicted as well as the other kind), or people who are refugees from their own lives, then this one is for you!

Meanwhile, as the Christmas shopping list grows smaller the list of books I want to read grows longer. Next on the list is J.M. Coetzee's 'The Childhood of Jesus', and the second in Robert Caro's monstrous biographical series on Lyndon Johnson ('The Path to Power').

Currently reading Putin's Kleptocracy: Who Owns Russia?

Normally I read quite quickly when I get into a book but this one I can only take a few pages at a time without getting angry.

Putin is such a corrupt person, not sure why more is not made of his actions. I really fear the Putin/Trump relationship.

I shouldn't enter this thread without making a contribution. I finished off Tim Winton's Dirt Music yesterday, which is a novel I made time for despite not really having time to read novels, in the same way that I don't have time to post in BF...

I like Winton. He might be a bit too 'Dymocks' for some, but he's managed to take me somewhere interesting whenever I've read him. If you're into mental wounds (self-inflicted as well as the other kind), or people who are refugees from their own lives, then this one is for you!

Meanwhile, as the Christmas shopping list grows smaller the list of books I want to read grows longer. Next on the list is J.M. Coetzee's 'The Childhood of Jesus', and the second in Robert Caro's monstrous biographical series on Lyndon Johnson ('The Path to Power').
I've heard that the other one to read is the Powerbroker.

I've heard that the other one to read is the Powerbroker.

Hell yes. Amazon are shipping that to me right now, all the way from Amazonia or wherever they stash their stuff. My obsession with and love for New York will have a fine feed.

Currently reading Putin's Kleptocracy: Who Owns Russia?

Normally I read quite quickly when I get into a book but this one I can only take a few pages at a time without getting angry.

Putin is such a corrupt person, not sure why more is not made of his actions. I really fear the Putin/Trump relationship.
Do you have some factual basis for your concern or are you just chasing the truck?

Can you name a good book that you have enjoyed lately?
Heh. Nice deflection.

I am currently re-reading 3 books in my library:

- Gavin Young's Slow Boats to China, which I marked as having bought and read in 1988. When I finish that I will re-read his Slow Boats Home (1989). Quite a lot of it resonates with me as a serial freighter traveler over the past 50 years.

- Ted Morgan's biography of W. Somerset Maugham (marked 1987). I briefly commented earlier here on WSM's Collected Short Stories 1 thru 4.

- Jonathan Raban's Old Glory (marked 1984) about his trip down the Mrs Sippi. Since having first read it 32 years ago I have over the years been up and down that river - from south of New Orleans to its headwaters north of Minneapolis- St Paul, and return. Sometimes on the river, other times driving the highways and byways alongside its length, including the Blues Highway (US 61) thru the delta region of Mississippi, listening to the delta blues music on the small town radio stations en route -especially out of Leland and Indianola MS (the latter being the birthplace of the late and great B.B. King).

I see parts of Raban's book from a different angle now (including noticing some geographical errors).

And the good thing about having been born when dinosaurs still roamed the planet is that I can't remember reading these books - so they are like new books to me now.

Heh. Nice deflection.

- Gavin Young's Slow Boats to China, which I marked as having bought and read in 1988. When I finish that I will re-read his Slow Boats Home (1989). Quite a lot of it resonates with me as a serial freighter traveler over the past 50 years.

- Ted Morgan's biography of W. Somerset Maugham (marked 1987). I briefly commented earlier here on WSM's Collected Short Stories 1 thru 4.

- Jonathan Raban's Old Glory (marked 1984) about his trip down the Mrs Sippi. Since having first read it 32 years ago I have over the years been up and down that river - from south of New Orleans to its headwaters north of Minneapolis- St Paul, and return. Sometimes on the river, other times driving the highways and byways alongside its length, including the Blues Highway (US 61) thru the delta region of Mississippi, listening to the delta blues music on the small town radio stations en route -especially out of Leland and Indianola MS (the latter being the birthplace of the late and great B.B. King).

I see parts of Raban's book from a different angle now (including noticing some geographical errors).

And the good thing about having been born when dinosaurs still roamed the planet is that I can't remember reading these books - so they are like new books to me now.
Interesting collection. I am about to read Robert Cato, The Passage of Power.
The years of LBJ.

No deflection, just sick of threads going off topic.

Interesting collection. I am about to read Robert Cato, The Passage of Power.
The years of LBJ.

No deflection, just sick of threads going off topic.

I'm generally not a fan of biographies at all, mostly because it always seems like the authors want to mate with their subjects, or murder them, or raise them from the dead in order to mate or/and murder them. However, I happily made an exception of Caro's LBJ series. His grasp of his subject and of the themes surrounding LBJ's life in politics is awe-inspiring.

There are certain idiosyncrasies in Caro's writing which may bug you from time to time. He has a tendency to repeat certain phrases or motifs, almost like one of those television programs which 'recaps' a segment after the ad break as if their viewers suffer are unable to store memories for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's a minor thing in the scheme of a masterwork.

I'm generally not a fan of biographies at all, mostly because it always seems like the authors want to mate with their subjects, or murder them, or raise them from the dead in order to mate or/and murder them. However, I happily made an exception of Caro's LBJ series. His grasp of his subject and of the themes surrounding LBJ's life in politics is awe-inspiring.

There are certain idiosyncrasies in Caro's writing which may bug you from time to time. He has a tendency to repeat certain phrases or motifs, almost like one of those television programs which 'recaps' a segment after the ad break as if their viewers suffer are unable to store memories for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's a minor thing in the scheme of a masterwork.
I borrowed it from the library based on your recommendation but thought that may have been the case which is why I choose book four.
Upon reading it you are right he does recap somewhat. But I am certainly enjoying it.

What I have found interesting so far is how disinterested in Politics I was during those years, (although recall Kennedy clan and of course Jackie O) yet my 12 year old grand-daughter has a much better grasp of domestic and world politics at her age. Internet? 24 hour news cycle?

Reading can be wonderfully relaxing.

Enjoy it folks....

It's just a wonderful way to view things from someone's perspective as a writer and interpret it for ourselves

I borrowed it from the library based on your recommendation but thought that may have been the case which is why I choose book four.
Upon reading it you are right he does recap somewhat. But I am certainly enjoying it.

What I have found interesting so far is how disinterested in Politics I was during those years, (although recall Kennedy clan and of course Jackie O) yet my 12 year old grand-daughter has a much better grasp of domestic and world politics at her age. Internet? 24 hour news cycle?

Go back to the earlier ones if you're ever so inclined. One of the great aspects of the series are the 'mini-biographies' contained within it, including some of the great figures of Congressional politics, people who wielded immense power but who managed to avoid the limelight.

The emphasis on personality politics and the internet/news cycle might explain the cursory interest of some young people in current affairs, but for most kids (and many of their parents) the interest would remain fairly superficial. Facebook feeds are a constant source of half-baked commentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back to the earlier ones if you're ever so inclined. One of the great aspects of the series are the 'mini-biographies' contained within it, including some of the great figures of Congressional politics, people who wielded immense power but who managed to avoid the limelight.

The emphasis on personality politics and the internet/news cycle might explain the cursory interest of some young people in current affairs, but for most kids (and many of their parents) the interest would remain fairly superficial. Facebook feeds are a constant source of half-baked commentary.
Will see how I go with this one first, heavy book and I mainly do my reading in bed and if it gets too interesting get up.

A number of people have suggested I get electronic copies of books (kindle etc) but I love turning pages and placing my bookmark.

Heh. Nice deflection.

I sometimes return to books I read in my 20s, and it is like reading them for the first time. My experiences vary. I might enjoy the book, but wonder how I fully understood it at 22. Or I don't enjoy the book the second time around. Or I fall crazily in love with it all over again.

One author I read a lot in my 20s was Gore Vidal. I'm thinking of rereading him, but wondering if his writing has dated.

Will see how I go with this one first, heavy book and I mainly do my reading in bed and if it gets too interesting get up.

A number of people have suggested I get electronic copies of books (kindle etc) but I love turning pages and placing my bookmark.

I'm still reading hard copy paper books.

On this point, I'm not a materialistic or acquisitive person at all. Not quite a monk, but just not a seeker of 'stuff'. Books are an exception. I like the hard copy, and I like owning my own copy. If I borrow a book and I like it, I go out and buy it afterwards, and so I've got a whole bunch of books on my shelves which have never been read.

We all have our small illnesses; this is one of mine.

On this point, I'm not a materialistic or acquisitive person at all. Not quite a monk, but just not a seeker of 'stuff'. Books are an exception. I like the hard copy, and I like owning my own copy. If I borrow a book and I like it, I go out and buy it afterwards, and so I've got a whole bunch of books on my shelves which have never been read.

We all have our small illnesses; this is one of mine.
I read so much that I can't afford it now but in my younger days had two bookshelves full!
Sold at garage sales then balance to charity. Even included a very big Websters dictionary and a set of Brittanicas.
Have always been an avid reader firstly to improve my language skills then for the love of reading.

I sometimes return to books I read in my 20s, and it is like reading them for the first time. My experiences vary. I might enjoy the book, but wonder how I fully understood it at 22. Or I don't enjoy the book the second time around. Or I fall crazily in love with it all over again.

One author I read a lot in my 20s was Gore Vidal. I'm thinking of rereading him, but wondering if his writing has dated.
Very true - I experience that also. Some books read in my teens/20's struck a chord (and sometimes a nerve/some scar tissue) only when re-read considerably further down the road with more miles on my clock.

Gore Vidal was too overtly effete for my tastes (not just literary) but of the same general era Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities is a standout for me. It is about NYC and is still very relevant (altho nothing beats the NYC ancien régime WASP aspects depicted by the novels of Louis Auchincloss - albeit in an earlier era).

Gore Vidal? Never saw that coming with you VP? Interesting author interest.
I'm fascinated by what I learn about fellow posters.
It's great the different interests etc

Loved Catch 22 great crazy book.

I came across a book in my library about Yogi Berra, whose aphorisms render the study of philosophy all those years ago superfluous.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
The future ain't what it used to be.
Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical.
You can observe a lot just by watching.
We made too many wrong mistakes.
Eternity is a very long time, particularly towards the end.
You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours.
It gets late early out there".

Looks like Yogi was a show stopper :oops:

So let me go back to books I am re-reading from my library (many of which have just come out of storage after 20 years).

Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon.
This is a road trip on the "blue highways"- the back roads marked blue on the old maps.

My copy is marked by me "Honolulu 1986". I thought it was cool back then, but re-reading it now I can't figure out why it was 42 weeks on the New York Times best seller list. I have driven a lot of those roads, but not in the '70's, and caught glimpses of those long-gone days in some small towns and burgs on the way - but times have changed (not for the better).

Maybe it is the style. One reviewer said - "It would also help if William Least Heat-Moon was a likable person; someone we could get behind and enjoy this journey with. Alas, he's a miserable bastard at his worst".

Then - Pictures From The Water Trade by John David Morley, marked Honolulu 1986.

"water trade" [mizu-shōbai] is the Japanese term for the sex trade - nightclubs, bars, brothels and so on. In 1972 the author lived in Japan for over 18 months and attempted to explore the complex nature of Japan and its peoples.

If you are into Japan it has some insights and I enjoyed reading it in 1986, but re-reading it now, after having had the very good luck to have lived in Japan for a total of just under 6 years (back in the day earlier this century ) I found it somewhat jejune and limited.

Then - Mord på 31:avåningen (Murder on the Thirty-First Floor). In Swedish, marked Stockholm 1976. Also published in English.

I like crime fiction (and sci fi - but don't tell anyone) and Per Wahlöö’s Chief-Inspector Jensen books are among my favorites. This book was way ahead of its time - which obviously I could not appreciate way back then. Prescient is the word, reminiscent of Orwell's 1984/Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, where a paternal government spoon-feeds the proletariat with soundbites and celebrity dross. Sounds familiar?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back