Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
At 3 quarter time I did not give us much chance of winning.

Neeld pulled the leadership group aside and asked for a lift.

I then saw Jack Grimes clearly decide, "**** it, we're going to win this game" and play one of the best captain's quarters in the club's recent history.

Trengove, too, lifted a notch.

I think we made the right choice here.

Jack Grimes is just a god damn marvel.

God he is amazing. I ****ing love him.

He went into the centre square in the last quarter and won clearances and continually willed the ball forward and refused to give the Bombers an inch.

Touch wood this guy is over all the injuries he has had, cos he is back in form, hes fit and he is again looking like the star we had all hoped he would be.

Also well done Trenners. Best game of the year at the perfect time.

At 3 quarter time I did not give us much chance of winning.

I had the exact same feeling mate. I just didn't think the players would be fit enough to take the final quarter on. Being wrong has never felt better than this.

Grimes was sublime own the middle. One of his clearances in that last quarter was amazing.

Sometimes, people need a few weeks to settle into a new role :p

Really glad for both the Jacks. Cannot wait to watch it again!

Timely thread. I admit I've had my doubts over the weeks about the appointment of these two, but if they continue to inspire like this it will be hard to fault them. A win will definitely give them some confidence in their roles too. Consistency is now the key.

Timely thread. I admit I've had my doubts over the weeks about the appointment of these two, but if they continue to inspire like this it will be hard to fault them. A win will definitely give them some confidence in their roles too. Consistency is now the key.

The way I see it, everyone says they are too young and it was a bad move. In two-three years it won't even matter. Neeld is building for the long term, he's always been building for the long term.

The way I see it, everyone says they are too young and it was a bad move. In two-three years it won't even matter. Neeld is building for the long term, he's always been building for the long term.

Correct, they'll certainly have time to grow into their roles. If you think about it that way, it makes much more sense to appoint a young captain(s) who can give eight+ years of leadership, instead of an older one who gives maybe four or five before handing the mantle to someone else. Has the potential to build a really solid long-term leadership structure, which as you say is what Neeld is going for.

The downside, of course, is that it's a lack of experience and an extra weight on the shoulders of players who could still be trying to establish themselves.

Grimes is in his element whether it be down back or in the middle. He's played some real hard captain's games this year.

Trenners is still finding his feet but to borrow the words of our great coach "he's gona be ok". He's been doing a lot of the accountable things but just needs to open up a bit. A few wins will do him good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimes form has been good since round 4 onwards, just checking his stats and he is avg 21 touches a game this year, almost a career high. He has unfarily been dragged down with Trengove's and the sides poor form. They will be both great captains, in hindsight maybe Jones and Grimes partnership may have been better. Hopefully Saturday night was the turning point for JT's season.

Yeh Grimes is really building his form as the season goes along, really great to see him running through the midfield

Grimesy almost kicked the sealing goal as well but it was marked right on the line by Bellchambers.

His last quarter was amazing, and he is well and truly back.

Anyone else think Watts distributing from half back allows Grimes to get into the midfield? Is that what happened a bit last week or not related??

Anyone else think Watts distributing from half back allows Grimes to get into the midfield? Is that what happened a bit last week or not related??

I think the emergence of Watts and McDonald down back is going to allow Neeld to really do some interesting things, as we saw with Grimes and Garland.

Exciting times.

Unfortunately Trenners bad form seems to be effecting his confidence greatly. Didn't go as hard as he should have in a few critical moments on Saturday. I love him but he is really off it at the moment. Cant kick further than 30-40 meters either.

I think the emergence of Watts and McDonald down back is going to allow Neeld to really do some interesting things, as we saw with Grimes and Garland.

Exciting times.
Grimes has got to play in the midfield, would have been there earlier if not for his injuries. Great game 26 dispossals playing on Watson who had 32 for alot of the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back