The Fitness & Weight Loss Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for a Weigh-In Today and I am 99.7kg first time I been under 100KG when I started the Workouts I am doing
TD
That is great news for you Dave,slow and steady is the way to go mate.Do you have a figure in mind what you are aiming for and how do you feel in yourself.

Ps Let us know how you are going TD,I know when I 1st first achieved a weigh in under a 100kg I was amazed and ecstatic at the same time.Keep up the good work Dave:thumbsu:.

Interested in how people maintain their conditioning through sickness etc. Been crook for a week and its coincided with changing to a new job so between the two I haven't been able to exercise in two weeks. I'm assuming any fitness base I've built up is completely gone again. :(

Interested in how people maintain their conditioning through sickness etc. Been crook for a week and its coincided with changing to a new job so between the two I haven't been able to exercise in two weeks. I'm assuming any fitness base I've built up is completely gone again. :(
In 2 weeks?

Any major loss is probably a placebo affect.

TD
That is great news for you Dave,slow and steady is the way to go mate.Do you have a figure in mind what you are aiming for and how do you feel in yourself.

Ps Let us know how you are going TD,I know when I 1st first achieved a weigh in under a 100kg I was amazed and ecstatic at the same time.Keep up the good work Dave:thumbsu:.

Thanks - No Weight Goal. Just trying to look and be fit as possible

Wow, i really shouldve looked through the nest for threads like these a long time ago.

Since getting back from the states ive been training the house down. I'm training with a good friend of mine who is looking to bulk up and whilst I was quite happy with my size, i'm enjoying the opportunity to work in and train with someone. Anyways, its been about 7 weeks now and im feeling really strong in pretty much all areas and ive seen a bit of improvement. The one area that i dont really want to add any more size is my legs. Having genetically big thighs and quads as it is, i'm interested in toning up a little more and working on endurance.

Generally i'd think that cardio would be the best way to go about this, but i dont want to adversely affect my gains. Any thoughts or ideas?

Wow, i really shouldve looked through the nest for threads like these a long time ago.

Since getting back from the states ive been training the house down. I'm training with a good friend of mine who is looking to bulk up and whilst I was quite happy with my size, i'm enjoying the opportunity to work in and train with someone. Anyways, its been about 7 weeks now and im feeling really strong in pretty much all areas and ive seen a bit of improvement. The one area that i dont really want to add any more size is my legs. Having genetically big thighs and quads as it is, i'm interested in toning up a little more and working on endurance.

Generally i'd think that cardio would be the best way to go about this, but i dont want to adversely affect my gains. Any thoughts or ideas?
The only way to tone up is to increase muscle mass and decrease fat. If you want to tone up, just work on the muscles you want toned, and look to do some cardio. You could do cardio that doesn't involve the use of legs, like a rowing machine or boxercise.

I'm hovering at around 87-88 at the moment. Pretty happy with that. Maybe could lose a bit more off my guts, but after topping the scales at 107, I'm pretty happy. I think I'll aim for something around 84-85. If I can maintain that I'll be rapt.

I'm hovering at around 87-88 at the moment. Pretty happy with that. Maybe could lose a bit more off my guts, but after topping the scales at 107, I'm pretty happy. I think I'll aim for something around 84-85. If I can maintain that I'll be rapt.

Fantastic Effort there mate

I used to post in this thread a lot when I was an edgy 17 year old. Now I'm a grown up with a Master's in Nutrition and Dietetics. So if you have any questions at all about health, nutrition, weight loss, just ask and I will help ASAP to the best of my abilities. :)

Need something to take my mind off Collingwood before I go traveling ... Freakin' Collingwood.

P.S. If its medical related I'm going to say "speak with your doctor."

I used to post in this thread a lot when I was an edgy 17 year old. Now I'm a grown up with a Master's in Nutrition and Dietetics. So if you have any questions at all about health, nutrition, weight loss, just ask and I will help ASAP to the best of my abilities. :)

Need something to take my mind off Collingwood before I go traveling ... Freakin' Collingwood.

P.S. If its medical related I'm going to say "speak with your doctor."

I've got a question : seeing as one of our players is a vegan, how can they get enough protein in their diet to ensure they can build (let alone maintain) enough muscle mass and strength to cope with demands of football? There is the aerobic/conditioning aspect that their diet needs to support but also the strength and muscle mass, so would a vegan diet mean achieving these goals is that much more difficult? I am surprised a professional athlete in a contact sport could have such a limited diet range as vegan is so much more restrictive than vegetarian, and taking supplements is not as effective as obtaining the vitamins and minerals from food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a question : seeing as one of our players is a vegan, how can they get enough protein in their diet to ensure they can build (let alone maintain) enough muscle mass and strength to cope with demands of football? There is the aerobic/conditioning aspect that their diet needs to support but also the strength and muscle mass, so would a vegan diet mean achieving these goals is that much more difficult? I am surprised a professional athlete in a contact sport could have such a limited diet range as vegan is so much more restrictive than vegetarian, and taking supplements is not as effective as obtaining the vitamins and minerals from food.

Are we talking about Darcy Moore here? Because I was a bit guttered when I found out he was a vegan (no joke). AFL players are mixed athletes so while strength and muscle mass are just a few parts of the whole picture, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be much better if he could compete better against stronger defenders. I'm less worried about vitamins and minerals because I'd assume they'd be monitored and he'd get supplemented if anything falls below optimal levels.

A "well-planned" vegan diet can provide just as much protein, vitamins, and minerals an athlete requires. It's the "well-planned" part that's a problem. Regarding protein, everyday fit Joes usually have to
1) be smart about combining their protein sources to get all their amino acids (amino acids make up protein, some vegan foods are low in certain another food may be high in)
2) eat more protein than non-vegans
3) use a vegan protein powder like pea

For athletes, it's going to be hard to meet their protein requirements using vegan food alone. For someone as big as Darcy I'd suspect he would have some epic stomach issues if he tried to eat a whole bunch of legumes, beans, peas, and rice to meet his requirements lol! So I hope he is on some form of protein powder.

Another part of it is training. I'm not sure how much time players spend trying to add strength. From discussions with some Strength and Conditioning guys a lot of AFL players seem to half-arse that component. All the high-quality protein from animals in the world won't make you stronger and more muscular if you don't train properly.

THE TLDR Version: Athletes can build strength and muscle (and do everything else) just as well on a vegan diet as a non-vegan diet. It's just that if they want what's optimal their room for error is extremely tiny. So let's all hope the vegan players have things well planned out!

So i'm not sure if difficult is the word I'd use. I will just say I'd be more confident of players who just eat whatever meeting their requirements on a non-vegan diet.

It's exactly like how Collingwood plays - you could beat a team by kicking a bunch of behinds if you dominate the midfield and your defenders are having a great day rebounding the ball ... But life would be easier if you just kicked goals ... and you can easily leak goals when the other team rebounds it.

P.S. In the past when people tried to go vegan on me. If it's for ethical issues I keep my mouth shut. But if it's for some magical health benefit I'd just lay all the facts on the table and hope they change their mind ha (... and when they don't I begrudgingly ( :p ) explain all the details to them)

Edit. Just a quick comment on a misconception I see all the time - "xyz will grow into his frame with age." No he won't unless he trains and eats right too.

Last edited:
I appreciate the offer of your wisdom. My metabolism has begun to slow over the past few years, which leaves me to wonder whether I can maintain my lithe shape:

- Without strenuous exercise;
- Without cutting my intake of wine and cheese;
- Without surgical intervention.

Various nutritionists are nauseatingly consistent in their insistence that we can't eat as much as we want and do as little as we want. I know they're lying.

I appreciate the offer of your wisdom. My metabolism has begun to slow over the past few years, which leaves me to wonder whether I can maintain my lithe shape:

- Without strenuous exercise;
- Without cutting my intake of wine and cheese;
- Without surgical intervention.

Various nutritionists are nauseatingly consistent in their insistence that we can't eat as much as we want and do as little as we want. I know they're lying.

I sit on my bum 24/7 and my girlfriend LOVES wine and cheese. So I know them feels hahaha!

I'm not like most nutritionists (I'm more a dude with a degree) so you asked the right guy.

I can be 10000x more useful if you could tell me a bit about your lifestyle - what your typical day looks like in terms of food and activity.

But here's my tip without knowing anything:

Staying in shape means you have to balance how much you eat vs. how much you exercise. That means calories (the energy our body uses) you take in vs. the amount you burn. BUT eating fewer calories DOES NOT EQUAL eating less food. So what you could do (and what I would do) is look over your diet and replace some of the more "energy-dense" foods (foods that have a lot of calories packed into small amounts - like nuts, dried fruits, jams, peanut butters) with low energy dense foods (like vegetables ... the couple that you like ha) ... This will keep you fuller and with all the calories you "save" this way I'd spend them on wine and cheese.

Cheese is actually not that bad, protein, vitamins and minerals. It's definitely one of the better "guilty pleasures."

Re: activity I'd look at small ways you could increase it. Walking instead of driving, that kind of stuff.

I will be real, when I lived on campus were days where I only ate lean meats and saved the rest of my calories for alcohol LOL.

Healthy? Meh. But my abs looked damn fine on the dance floor ... and I burned off the calories with my fab dance moves.

Edit. Another thought that popped up in my head - I personally rather live to 75 and eat what I want (within reason) than live to 80 and have to worry about everything I put in my mouth. Do the right things 90% of the time and enjoy life with the other 10%.

Last edited:
I just did a Q&A session on Facebook - here's the key summary - hope it helps some people:

- Question re: Paleo - "thoughts" lol - anyways: any diet that encourages you to eat minimally processed, nutrient dense foods is a good starting point. But ultimately you want to adjust food choices based on your personal preferences. Because the best diet for you is one that takes YOU into account.

- It's usually just one or 2 small things that are stopping you from progressing - a lovely lady who has been stuck in her weight loss for a while didn't know chia seeds were very high in calories.

- If some food stresses you out, then don't eat it. In this case it was peanut butter. People getting stressed out because they had to measure it precisely. Well if it stresses you out it's better to replace it with something else. No food is a MUST for a diet to be healthy.

- All popular diets are essentially saying the same things:

1) For good health:
• Eat more whole foods that are nutrient dense, minimally processed and low in added sugar, salt, and fat.

• Eat just the right amount without gaining or losing too much weight.

2) For weight loss:

• Eat more whole foods that are low in calories, high in protein and fibre, and help keep you full throughout the day.

• Bonus points if you avoid processed foods and foods that are easy to overeat.

Same principles, just different application.

P.S. Collingwood still shits me - can't get tickets I want for myself and the old man ... (we'd probably get pumped anyways)

I sit on my bum 24/7 and my girlfriend LOVES wine and cheese. So I know them feels hahaha!

I'm not like most nutritionists (I'm more a dude with a degree) so you asked the right guy.

I can be 10000x more useful if you could tell me a bit about your lifestyle - what your typical day looks like in terms of food and activity.

But here's my tip without knowing anything:

Staying in shape means you have to balance how much you eat vs. how much you exercise. That means calories (the energy our body uses) you take in vs. the amount you burn. BUT eating fewer calories DOES NOT EQUAL eating less food. So what you could do (and what I would do) is look over your diet and replace some of the more "energy-dense" foods (foods that have a lot of calories packed into small amounts - like nuts, dried fruits, jams, peanut butters) with low energy dense foods (like vegetables ... the couple that you like ha) ... This will keep you fuller and with all the calories you "save" this way I'd spend them on wine and cheese.

Cheese is actually not that bad, protein, vitamins and minerals. It's definitely one of the better "guilty pleasures."

Re: activity I'd look at small ways you could increase it. Walking instead of driving, that kind of stuff.

I will be real, when I lived on campus were days where I only ate lean meats and saved the rest of my calories for alcohol LOL.

Healthy? Meh. But my abs looked damn fine on the dance floor ... and I burned off the calories with my fab dance moves.

Edit. Another thought that popped up in my head - I personally rather live to 75 and eat what I want (within reason) than live to 80 and have to worry about everything I put in my mouth. Do the right things 90% of the time and enjoy life with the other 10%.

Thank you for the response. In my mind I've summarised it as: 'Eat more cheese'.

Just kidding. The point you make about small bouts of activity is an important one for me, because I'm a bit of an 'all or nothing' exerciser. If I can't find a decent block of time to exercise on at least 5 days of the week, I tend to not bother at all. Unfortunately, at such times (usually when work robs me of time) I also tend to pay less attention to the nutritional value of what I eat. I need to learn to be satisfied with a 30-minute walk rather than a 90-minute workout.

Thank you for the response. In my mind I've summarised it as: 'Eat more cheese'.

Just kidding. The point you make about small bouts of activity is an important one for me, because I'm a bit of an 'all or nothing' exerciser. If I can't find a decent block of time to exercise on at least 5 days of the week, I tend to not bother at all. Unfortunately, at such times (usually when work robs me of time) I also tend to pay less attention to the nutritional value of what I eat. I need to learn to be satisfied with a 30-minute walk rather than a 90-minute workout.

My dad was in the same situation so I will tell you exactly what I told him (so you know it's the most sensible advice I have)

1) Focus on only make 1 small, simple, realistic improvement to your lifestyle at a time until it becomes a habit. So to build up to a 30-minute walk for example:

I told dad to start standing for 5 more minutes at work each day/hr. Since he works 12 hours a day that's an extra hour. Then he started walking around for 5 minutes at lunch time. And kept building from there. 3 years later he kicked my ass in a marathon.

2) Use the 5 "why" rule to nail down your motivation for wanting to be healthier - e.g. "I want to be healthier - why? - "because I want to have more energy" - why? - "so I can keep up with my kids." etc ... Once you've nailed it down, write it down and keep it somewhere you see it all the time. Our brains work in funny ways. This works.

My dad wanted to be around to teach my grandkids how to taste wine ... but I suspect he just wanted to kick my ass in a marathon.

3) You're right, some exercise is definitely better than none. The whole health and fitness culture I feel sends the message of BALLS TO THE WALL OR IT DOESNT COUNT but in reality 99% of people will be much much healthier with as little as an extra 15-minute walk a day.

Taking action and doing the bare minimum NOW is better than waiting to do "perfect (e.g. a 90 min session)" later .. or never.

Edit. Another neat psychological trick is to start wearing a pedometer. Don't have to set targets. Just see what happens when you start wearing one :D

I have discovered a truly awesome weight loss "gimmick"

In my garage I have a stationary bike, an elliptical trainer and a set of dumbbells.
The last three weeks I have been on the CSIRO diet and lost 6....yes 6 Kilos.

I put a lot of it down to my very own, unique exercise routine.

Initially I followed the "routine" set by the diet guidelines, then realised I could do a hell of a lot more and why not. Every night I spent and hour, sometimes more on the equipment, switching between at approx 10 min intervals and doing 15 reps of this and that with the dumbbells.
Usually i watch a TV show or a part of a movie.....No longer!

I now use my extensive catalogue of Pies games.

For instance tonight I put on the replay of last nights game.

Here are the rules.
I have my bike in 18th gear (out of 21) and and go up to 19, 20 or 21 depending on how many goals the opposition kick.
You get on the bike and you peddle, non-stop with a 2.5 kg dumbbell in each hand....when the opposition score a goal you have go up a gear and peddle flat stick for 20 seconds with the dumbbells held as far out behind you as you can, working the arms and abs terrifically. If we score a goal you drop a gear and have to do 15 alternate straight up fist pumps with 2.5kg on each arm then jump off the bike and do 100 steps on the elliptical trainer (no weights) then back on the bike until the next goal.
Funny thing is when we break into attack you can't help peddle faster and faster....
Feels like you're on the field with the boys....especially when we win. The first 7 minutes of the last quarter was like a goddamned marathon.

I opened this thread out of curiosity and found out Darcy Moore is a vegan.

Day ruined.
Needs a steak and a good slap.
Send him to me......

Last edited:
I have discovered a truly awesome weight loss "gimmick"

4 weeks and 1/3 of the way into my diet I have lost 8 kilos of a planned 20 kilos.
Which would see me at my peak playing weight in 1990.

not sure who here knows anything about poker players on youtube. but 2 of them who are brothers, one weighs 130kg the other 60kg. have a bet with someone else for the two brothers to weigh within 1 pound of each other in a year (half a kilogram). started like a month ago they're now at like 128 and 67. they have a few vlogs on youtube and my opinion the fat one doesn't seem to motivated he's just doing some ketosis diet and i don't think he's doing any running. anyway wondering how possible you guys think it is to make up a difference of 70kg between 2 people is with in a year?
their names are Jamie and Matt staples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back