Analysis The Good, the Bad and the Fugly Vs Shemantle round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropping a man back which allowed Freo to have an extra at the stoppages. When we were already getting killed at the stoppages

Watching the stoppages in front of me in the game it was amazing to watch the ball move to Freo's defensive side of the stoppage, then watch every Eagle in the vicinity rush forwards, and then get eliminated by 2 handballs.

The other thing which summed up the game for me, was in the third Barlow got smashed at a centre bounce, copped an elbow and went down. Freo recovered possession, and he still managed to run past 4 Eagles, and get 20m in the clear in the forward 50. Admittedly the ball didn't get there but it just goes to show the running Freo's mids want to do, whereas ours just can't make the effort unless things are going our way.

Last edited:
I didn't think Sharron was as bad as some people think. Few stupid kicking errors but he had noticeably clean hands in the backline for mine.

To go with what Adzam said, how have people seen Hurns performance as captain so far this year? It certainly hasn't helped elevate his game with more hunger for the ball or anything. He's had 1 decent half of football where he was dominant (1st half against the dogs) all season.

Sometimes i actually forgot we had a captain until i see him pop up somewhere.

Butler had a look who was coming before he committed to any contest
Kennedy im sorry to say is not the answer at fullforward.He has a lousy record against the dockers because Mcfarlane matches up on him so well [ and midfield supply was awful ] Play him at CHF.Hes big strong, tough, hard, passes both feet beautifully,chases, strong hands,and reads the play.In this era of run and stun we dont need a static F/F.
Shuey continued his dismal derby form, start him in a forward pocket, he loves a goal.
Did Maston play ?? Cmon Eagles bite the bullet and admit you were wrong.This bloke is a flat track bully.Time to go.
Priddis? if this bloke was any slower by foot by hand and accross the ground ........
Gaff? one dimentional
Mcginnety? he tries but doesnt have the skill level
Lycett? son you are a very big scary looking unit, the sooner you and Nicnat realise just how big and scary you look; and occasionally act ;the better off we will be.At your size you should not be showing respect to ANYBODY!!!
The lead at this club needs to come from the top.Lycett and Nicnat need to throw their weight around early.Nicnats chase down of Johnson has to be weighed up against Lycett ducking his head in the marking contest.Yes Lycett,EVERYBODY saw it!! I thought you would become more important to this club than Nicnat because of the way you were monstering people at the clearances,but when Sandilands came along you took a backward step instead of getting in his face.If our biggest and supposedly toughest blokes arnt willing to stand up and be counted then how can you expect some of these smaller blokes to be frontline stormtroopers.
im sorry Simpson i realise injury is crippling us but but there are hard decisions to be made in that midfield.There are too many fast track bullies in there and we need a cull,and when i say cull i mean a few name players need to be seriously looked at.
If Mckenzie come back next year instead of going straight to full back ,play him at F/F.
Strong ,tough,long kick,and a great aerialist he can run in straight lines.Not as silly as it sounds.
Leave me now as im in mourning!!

I didn't think Sharron was as bad as some people think. Few stupid kicking errors but he had noticeably clean hands in the backline for mine.

To go with what Adzam said, how have people seen Hurns performance as captain so far this year? It certainly hasn't helped elevate his game with more hunger for the ball or anything. He's had 1 decent half of football where he was dominant (1st half against the dogs) all season.

I think every now and then people forget to tag Hurn and he promptly destroys people ... causing everyone to remember to tag him for a few more games. He seems far too easy to tag out of a game, unfortunately.

We manned up Fyfe - how many do you want to tag?

If you spend your entire game trying to stop the opposition you lose any impetus you might have yourself.

The only way to stop all of their midfield is to deny them the ball - which is what Hawthorn do successfully.

We simply don't have the cattle

Fyfe had 31 so we did a good job there. Yes you cant tag everyone , but we were getting killed and Hill was chopping us up. Couldn't we have gotten someone to follow him around for 10 try to cool him off?

But spot on we just don't have the cattle. Sadly any changes is just shuffling deck chairs.

Doesn't help that he has to play deep in defence because of our under manned backline. Cant at least try to be the damaging player we know he can be

I think every now and then people forget to tag Hurn and he promptly destroys people ... causing everyone to remember to tag him for a few more games. He seems far too easy to tag out of a game, unfortunately.
Helps if he's not being asked to be a tall defender which has happened in 2 of 3 games so far.

Was also pointed out to me at the game that once Turbo went off, Schofield on Pavlich, Kennedy on McPharlin, and Nelson on Walters were likely the only 3 match-ups on the ground where we had a height advantage.

Our second tallest defender in the second half was Matt Rosa.

Hurn has been shut out pretty well all year. I don't think our injury woes down back have helped at all as he hasn't been able to go through the middle at all to try and get involved and has had to play tall.

Hurn is a big unit and if he's stuck down back he could at least try and get the boys going with some physicality.

I missed the incident some have mentioned with Duggan being roughed up and no one standing up for him. This is just so typical of our team, a real symptom of the mercenary nature of our blokes. Happy to bank the cheques but so little investment in the jumper and their team-mates. He's a first gamer essentially and you let him get bullied? Weak as piss from the senior players.

We manned up Fyfe - how many do you want to tag?

I have to be honest though, I thought that was a strange decision. Chris Scott did the same thing last week, tagged Fyfe and not Hill.

I have only ever once seen Fyfe effectively shut out of a game by a tagger, and that was Picken last year. Fyfe, for all his ability, does not cause the damage by foot that Hill does. And Hill can be effectively tagged.

I have to be honest though, I thought that was a strange decision. Chris Scott did the same thing last week, tagged Fyfe and not Hill.

I have only ever once seen Fyfe effectively shut out of a game by a tagger, and that was Picken last year. Fyfe, for all his ability, does not cause the damage by foot that Hill does. And Hill can be effectively tagged.

Rosa did better than i thought he would against fyfe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the job on Fyfe was ok, didn't really notice him during the game, wasn't a great 31 possie game, oh how i'd love to say that about our midfield :)

Tagging Hill is fine, but who did we have that could have run with him ?

Not a lot of pace in our side.

To go with what Adzam said, how have people seen Hurns performance as captain so far this year? It certainly hasn't helped elevate his game with more hunger for the ball or anything.

I think he needs to inject himself in the midfield more often and make an impact there in games like that. Like Hodge does but of course not the same level. Maybe he doesn't because we have had so many injuries down back he feels he needs to defend?

Fyfe had 31 so we did a good job there. Yes you cant tag everyone , but we were getting killed and Hill was chopping us up. Couldn't we have gotten someone to follow him around for 10 try to cool him off?

But spot on we just don't have the cattle. Sadly any changes is just shuffling deck chairs.

The job on Fyfe was reasonable. Similar to the Priddis discussions - you can't judge a player simply by possession numbers.

Fyfe will have significantly better 31 possession games than that, he will have better 25 possession games as well.

I know that Naitanui was deficient in other areas of his game but his ruckwork on the weekend was as good as I recall him ever playing against Sandilands.
Sure, our midfielders were so bad we didn't utilize it until the last quarter and a half but in the ruck contests alone I was reasonably happy with how Naitanui went.

So we could have got to the line, but for lack of effort in dragging by Shuey?

Clearly no (although we would have at least been closer). This relates to his career as a whole. Kills average opposition, ton of talent, never takes the next step and wills us to win like Kerr, Judd, Cousins etc. Probably still our best mid though.

I think Kennedy should played at FF, CHF, Back pocket, playing one of those funky tall on ball roles that Roughead plays, on the wing, tagger, defensive forward and sub.... If only we could do that :(
Having achieved the most Inside 50's in the team against Freo (6) he should probably play in the midfield also.

Hurn has been shut out pretty well all year. I don't think our injury woes down back have helped at all as he hasn't been able to go through the middle at all to try and get involved and has had to play tall.

Hurn is a big unit and if he's stuck down back he could at least try and get the boys going with some physicality.

I missed the incident some have mentioned with Duggan being roughed up and no one standing up for him. This is just so typical of our team, a real symptom of the mercenary nature of our blokes. Happy to bank the cheques but so little investment in the jumper and their team-mates. He's a first gamer essentially and you let him get bullied? Weak as piss from the senior players.

The deliberate decision to go small in the backline has a number of consequences:
1. It prevents Yeo from playing in the guts
2. Hurn has to man up on a ruckman
3. Hurn is not able to be a rebounding half back
4. There is no coverage if a tall gets injured (such as Gov)

Simpson lists Fmac then doesn't play him against one of the biggest strongest teams in the competition. If Fmac can play ruck he can play third tall in the backline so could Sinclair. College is a big body and has been doing well why was he not played?

Fremantle have big strong players for a reason.

Simpson is just too smart to be a coach.

Butler had a look who was coming before he committed to any contest
Kennedy im sorry to say is not the answer at fullforward.He has a lousy record against the dockers because Mcfarlane matches up on him so well [ and midfield supply was awful ] Play him at CHF.Hes big strong, tough, hard, passes both feet beautifully,chases, strong hands,and reads the play.In this era of run and stun we dont need a static F/F.
Shuey continued his dismal derby form, start him in a forward pocket, he loves a goal.
Did Maston play ?? Cmon Eagles bite the bullet and admit you were wrong.This bloke is a flat track bully.Time to go.
Priddis? if this bloke was any slower by foot by hand and accross the ground ........
Gaff? one dimentional
Mcginnety? he tries but doesnt have the skill level
Lycett? son you are a very big scary looking unit, the sooner you and Nicnat realise just how big and scary you look; and occasionally act ;the better off we will be.At your size you should not be showing respect to ANYBODY!!!
The lead at this club needs to come from the top.Lycett and Nicnat need to throw their weight around early.Nicnats chase down of Johnson has to be weighed up against Lycett ducking his head in the marking contest.Yes Lycett,EVERYBODY saw it!! I thought you would become more important to this club than Nicnat because of the way you were monstering people at the clearances,but when Sandilands came along you took a backward step instead of getting in his face.If our biggest and supposedly toughest blokes arnt willing to stand up and be counted then how can you expect some of these smaller blokes to be frontline stormtroopers.
im sorry Simpson i realise injury is crippling us but but there are hard decisions to be made in that midfield.There are too many fast track bullies in there and we need a cull,and when i say cull i mean a few name players need to be seriously looked at.
If Mckenzie come back next year instead of going straight to full back ,play him at F/F.
Strong ,tough,long kick,and a great aerialist he can run in straight lines.Not as silly as it sounds.
Leave me now as im in mourning!!

Kennedy is fine, he just has no supply against the good teams because the #infinitemastens midfield can't win s**t.

That chase was even better than you realise when you look at it from behind the goals, our hill came in at a solid angle too.
this is what shits me about Josh Hill. Yes it was a great chase (still got a goal though...) so we know Josh has the pace to burn, but * me, how often do we see it from him? once ever 5 games? No heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back