Health The Gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question about the bench press: do you guys count the weight of the bar? E.g if you put 20kg on each end do you call that 40kg or 60kg assuming the bar is 20kg?

Not too long ago I got talking to another guy at the gym. He asked me my max and I said I'd never really tested it but did a set of 8 at 55kg. He offered to spot which I accepted and he put 25kg on each end, saying we would work up to 55kg. Somehow I managed to push what I would call 70kg of my chest.

Posted this in another thread but figured it belonged here too, for anyone who's unsure of joining a gym:

I'm a larger sort of chap and recently joined up at a Fitness First. Decided 26 years of "no exercise whatsoever" hasn't exactly worked wonders so I'll give gym a red hot go. Got three PT sessions as part of signing up so I'm hoping to get through those fairly quickly and then get into a regular sort of routine. High paying job + living at home means hopefully I can maybe do 3 PT sessions a week, at least at first. It'll just mean cutting some other pointless rubbish out, which can only be a good thing.

The hardest part for me was actually walking into the gym and saying I want to sign up. You go through the whole "WTF am I doing? They'll think I'm stupid thing". But just got on with it and did it. And have to say once I was in there and being shown around, it was fantastic. Felt comfortable, which I didn't expect. The guy showing me around was great and has me really looking forward to it. Which I didn't expect in the slightest.

Posted this in another thread but figured it belonged here too, for anyone who's unsure of joining a gym:

I'm a larger sort of chap and recently joined up at a Fitness First. Decided 26 years of "no exercise whatsoever" hasn't exactly worked wonders so I'll give gym a red hot go. Got three PT sessions as part of signing up so I'm hoping to get through those fairly quickly and then get into a regular sort of routine. High paying job + living at home means hopefully I can maybe do 3 PT sessions a week, at least at first. It'll just mean cutting some other pointless rubbish out, which can only be a good thing.

The hardest part for me was actually walking into the gym and saying I want to sign up. You go through the whole "WTF am I doing? They'll think I'm stupid thing". But just got on with it and did it. And have to say once I was in there and being shown around, it was fantastic. Felt comfortable, which I didn't expect. The guy showing me around was great and has me really looking forward to it. Which I didn't expect in the slightest.
You must be a in a well paying job if you wanna go to Fitness First

Good god man, everything alright?
See below:
There are definite body image problems within the young male population. I used to be told that I am too thin etc by some of those meatheads. In reality they were quite insecure. I mean, if you're eating well most of the time and exercising several times a week but still are quite thin then maybe thin is the way you're supposed to look? Don't get me wrong, I like the way the gym affects my appearance and I like gradually increasing my bench and the others, but I always aim for athleticism rather than size and would rather feel than powerful than look powerful.
I haven't been to the gym this week, but have done a 6km run the last two evenings. I'll either go to the gym or do another run tonight. Everything is fine; it's just the way I am: naturally very thin. My waist is quite narrow, may wrists and ankles are small, it's just how it is. I wouldn't mind a few extra kilos of muscle but I'm not cut out to be bulky.

Even as a 16/17 year old I used to be told I "need to eat a steak", often by grown men. I was always like "WTF do they want me to do?"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See below:

I haven't been to the gym this week, but have done a 6km run the last two evenings. I'll either go to the gym or do another run tonight. Everything is fine; it's just the way I am: naturally very thin. My waist is quite narrow, may wrists and ankles are small, it's just how it is. I wouldn't mind a few extra kilos of muscle but I'm not cut out to be bulky.

Even as a 16/17 year old I used to be told I "need to eat a steak", often by grown men. I was always like "WTF do they want me to do?"

As basic as this sounds; stop running, go to the gym more often and eat more food. This will give you a few extra kilos.

At 18 I was 185 and around 60kg. Casual weights took me to around 65 kg. I only seriously got into the gym 4 days a week about a year ago at 39. At 75 kg at present, slowly working the weight up.

As a skinny guy, running, other than HIIT is about the worse possible thing you can do if you want to put on weight. If you really want to put on weight, do HIIT instead of jogging and concentrate on your compound exercises at the gym. As a narrow waist, thin wrist and ankle guy myself, I can relate you're never likely to be 'huge', but 5 - 10 kgs going from skinny to lean makes a hell of a difference in how you look.

Good stuff, i suppose people think you need to be either an endurance or strength athlete . Or sacrifice one for the other, which to some degree you need to but nothing unachievable about being strong, fast with endurance!

As basic as this sounds; stop running, go to the gym more often and eat more food. This will give you a few extra kilos.
At 18 I was 185 and around 60kg. Casual weights took me to around 65 kg. I only seriously got into the gym 4 days a week about a year ago at 39. At 75 kg at present, slowly working the weight up.

As a skinny guy, running, other than HIIT is about the worse possible thing you can do if you want to put on weight. If you really want to put on weight, do HIIT instead of jogging and concentrate on your compound exercises at the gym. As a narrow waist, thin wrist and ankle guy myself, I can relate you're never likely to be 'huge', but 5 - 10 kgs going from skinny to lean makes a hell of a difference in how you look.

I know guys. I have cut back running a lot this year and have been going to the gym more. My problem is with the assumption that because I'm tall and thin that there must be something wrong. In reality I am healthy but also a slow developer physically.

Just a question about the bench press: do you guys count the weight of the bar? E.g if you put 20kg on each end do you call that 40kg or 60kg assuming the bar is 20kg?

Not too long ago I got talking to another guy at the gym. He asked me my max and I said I'd never really tested it but did a set of 8 at 55kg. He offered to spot which I accepted and he put 25kg on each end, saying we would work up to 55kg. Somehow I managed to push what I would call 70kg of my chest.

Gotta count the bar man
I know guys. I have cut back running a lot this year and have been going to the gym more. My problem is with the assumption that because I'm tall and thin that there must be something wrong. In reality I am healthy but also a slow developer physically.

If you up your calorie intake by 500, with regular exercise you should put on a Kilo. Just eat more protein and red meat......If that doesnt help, just take up basketball

Yep always count the bar. If you do sets of 8 with 55kg, your one-rep-max would be around 75kg, so don't be too surprised you were able to get the 70kg off your chest :). Hi-rep training (8-12) is more about targeting muscle growth, but lower reps (3-5) at higher weights builds strength more than actually increasing muscle size. Strength is more about training your brain and nervous system to more effectively use the muscle it already has, rather than growing extra muscle. Players like Brad Hill or Lewis Jetta don't look any bigger than your average untrained joe in terms of muscle size, but you can bet they are a hell of a lot stronger.

Yep always count the bar. If you do sets of 8 with 55kg, your one-rep-max would be around 75kg, so don't be too surprised you were able to get the 70kg off your chest :). Hi-rep training (8-12) is more about targeting muscle growth, but lower reps (3-5) at higher weights builds strength more than actually increasing muscle size. Strength is more about training your brain and nervous system to more effectively use the muscle it already has, rather than growing extra muscle. Players like Brad Hill or Lewis Jetta don't look any bigger than your average untrained joe in terms of muscle size, but you can bet they are a hell of a lot stronger.

Good post, made me think differently about how Im training at the moment

I'd say 8-12 is the hypertrophy range (some may argue 8-20) and hi rep would be 15+ or could even be 25+

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24714538/

The article above is a study basically voume vs power lifting. There was no clear winner in terms of muscle gains, but the power lifting subjects increased strength vs. the volume lifters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back