Universal Love The "I was wrong about Hardwick" confession thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Never a hardwick hater, but was (and still am) somewhat concerned with how close he seems to be with players. Makes it harder to make hard call against players. Tho it seems players are really wanting to play for him, and this benefit is really outweighing the negative.

Kudos to those manning up, but also kudos to the entire club for staying strong when we weren't travelling quite as well, it takes courage to stay the course when the weather gets rough.
The great Geelong sides, and the current Hawthorn side, had complete confidence in their teammates and knew exactly what to do in any circumstance, this is what pleases me most about the current Richmond side, settled back six but a back six with plenty of skill, run, versatility and grunt, a varied and deep midfield and a potentially potent forward line, all playing for each other, the coaching group, the jumper and us.
I still agree with Leigh Matthews that coaching is 95% preparation and 5% match day but whatever the percentages Dimma is doing both very well at the moment.

didn't look like that last night, TBH they looked slow and nearly at the edge of the cliff, will be interesting to see how the MRP views the incidents that happened in the game or will they apply the two rule policy.

Rise to the occasion Vre i can picture you and helen W together on that one last day in Sept admiring the Cup i'm holding.:D

efharisto, I did "rise" to the occasion but it wasn't with Eleni :cool::D:$

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    95 bytes · Views: 8
My history is to never bay for a coach's blood, but when we got to 2-4, I posted on BF that I wanted him sacked. I was wrong, very wrong. I'm really sorry to Dimma that I posted it, he was already under massive pressure back then without the peanut gallery chipping in.

I was filthy on the entire setup after Melb game, players, coaches, leadership etc, I just couldn't understand how that happened.
Before and after that I was 110% in Dimmas corner. I knew what he was doing and the strategy being implemented, but at times it can be difficult for supporters to hold the line when performances are sub par.
Lucky for us Hardwick has the skills to know what to do and the courage to hold steady when under immense pressure. Big kudos to the club hierarchy for the general solidity when needed.
To those who won't acknowledge dimma until he wins a final, well that's your prerogative.
But it's a bit like saying I think Black Caviar is a good horse after she crosses the line. And as this is an opinion forum, telling me about facts in hindsight doesn't really add to the conversation.
Great to see some jumping in board, bit of mea culpa about, which shows a bit of spine I reckon. especially SunshineTiger who has always been a big fan of mine:D

two areas that he has really improved is one, a far more defensive bias to the game plan, one that more resembles a Top 4 side rather than an emerging one and secondly and very understated is we are much better prepared at working an oppositions game plan over. wasn't so long ago that every week a side would jump us, I always thought it reflected on poor planning. Now we often jump the opposition or at least box on toe to toe.
Dimma has always had a great connection with the players, its been his biggest strength, and reflected in number of players that re sign. He has corrected some weaker parts of his skill set and on the way to being a very good coach. 20/27 kinda says that

I thought he was in trouble early on, actually thought he might not make th bye tbh. Always had concerns with his game day performance, but that can't be questioned anymore. Also like what he's doing with our young players, he seems to have real confidence in them, maybe some old sheedy influence there.

A bit surprised at the posters claiming Dimma wont get their respect until we win 1 final. I think regardless of if we win a final or not, Dimmas the man. If we lose a final, it'll be on the players. Choke. :eek: Hope not. Clearly Dimma is a good coach.;) Now, I can honestly say I never quite got to the sack Dimma stage but was very concerned by the assistants. I had no idea what happens behind closed doors but was adamant it was the fault of the assistant coaches.:oops: Clearly I was wrong as the whole coaching team have excelled recently. :) I'm sorry Boys.

yeah me too, guilty, called for him to be sacked on here when we were 3-10 last year.

you can see the potential to be a *great* coach now.

As mentioned, a finals win, but also pulling of a coup at the end of this year in FA/trading would cement his position as a top line AFL coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I backed him in during the 3-10 debacle, but lost a bit of faith during the 2-4 start. Otherwise I've been a Dimma fan for his entire tenure.

His love of a battler is still a bit concerning (it took him 11 games to work out that the Morris experiment wasn't working), but he is the best man for the job.
I'm the same.
Was all good last year but when we came out of the gates playing some insipid football I lost the plot.
Forgive me, Dimma. You know what you're doing.

My criticism of him was that he struggled to motivate the players to perform (which is why we played on emotion so much and could beat top sides but lose to bottom ones) he seems to have found a way of doing that now, which is how the great coaches like clarkson and Lyon can implement their gameplans. Still a way to go (I'm still nervous playing teams we 'should' beat, the Carlton gws and stkilda wins were far from comfortable) but he seems to be on the right track with it.

Let's just hope he doesn't get sacked one day when he finally smacks Vickery for being an idiot

Havent read the rest of the thread but i still have my doubts. The season isnt over yet. If we win a final and do it with the obvious implementation of some sort of tactics/strategy i'll start thinking otherwise.

My criticism of him was that he struggled to motivate the players to perform (which is why we played on emotion so much and could beat top sides but lose to bottom ones) he seems to have found a way of doing that now, which is how the great coaches like clarkson and Lyon can implement their gameplans. Still a way to go (I'm still nervous playing teams we 'should' beat, the Carlton gws and stkilda wins were far from comfortable) but he seems to be on the right track with it.

Let's just hope he doesn't get sacked one day when he finally smacks Vickery for being an idiot
Surely Vickery doesnt play next week? Putrid game, and lucky goal.

I am also happy to admit that at this stage it looks like I was wrong too.
I was convinced that from the time they extended his contract in 2013 (prematurely I thought), it had been downhill.
This was backed up by the ordinary end to 2013 and the devastation of sitting through that elimination final loss to 9th placed Carlton.
Then the terrible start to 2014.
Then, after the wonderful 2014 run into the finals, the next humiliating elimination final loss...it was all over after 15 minutes...and I am still so glad I didn't let my brother talk me into driving to Adelaide.
And the last straw for me was the start to 2015...it just looked like groundhog day...so I gave up...having better things to do with my time than support a club that still couldn't make a right call about a coach (so I thought).
I was convinced that Hardwick had no plan B - no flexibility to react to quality opposition coaches who worked out his plan A - and when you watched him, he just seemed at a loss about what to do when the game turned against him - I just didn't think he had what it took to be a great game day coach - which is what you need to be better than average - I compared him to what was happening at Port Adelaide and for me that was confirmation.
Since the horror of seeing Northey go on the cusp of success - and having no confidence in the appointments of walls, spud or wallace - it just seemed like more of the same mediocrity.
But ever since I gave up - it seems I have been proven wrong - looks like I just wasn't patient enough for long enough - but it's great news that the leadership of the club was right - I couldn't be happier for all involved with the club.

didn't look like that last night, TBH they looked slow and nearly at the edge of the cliff, will be interesting to see how the MRP views the incidents that happened in the game or will they apply the two rule policy.
But they did in their two flags.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I was filthy on the entire setup after Melb game, players, coaches, leadership etc, I just couldn't understand how that happened.
Before and after that I was 110% in Dimmas corner. I knew what he was doing and the strategy being implemented, but at times it can be difficult for supporters to hold the line when performances are sub par.
Lucky for us Hardwick has the skills to know what to do and the courage to hold steady when under immense pressure. Big kudos to the club hierarchy for the general solidity when needed.
To those who won't acknowledge dimma until he wins a final, well that's your prerogative.
But it's a bit like saying I think Black Caviar is a good horse after she crosses the line. And as this is an opinion forum, telling me about facts in hindsight doesn't really add to the conversation.
Great to see some jumping in board, bit of mea culpa about, which shows a bit of spine I reckon. especially SunshineTiger who has always been a big fan of mine:D

Well said Dimma

I stuck through thick and thin for 5 years and then 6 games in to this year I started to have serious doubts, Dimma sure as s**t proved me wrong:thumbsu:

His coaching of late is as good as anyone, even last year to bring us back from the dead was quite an achievement, now we have to win a damn final, he deserves it IMO.
I'm with you mate.

I never waivered but when the drums were beating and we were getting knocked off early I allowed myself to listen to the doubters and they sucked me in.

Love this guy and I'm sorry. But don't * with us like you did early in the season or I will hunt you down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back