The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that's interesting information that. I take this was around the time Pardew left.

There is a couple things that do make me wonder. He threw his name out there, but did the Newcastle board consider Ranieri, or did they want to stick with Carver from the very start? The other point is also in regard to our situation. Just a phone call away from managing. He did confirm he wasn't approached so far. I know our owners are keeping a tight lid on things, but it's a bit weird...

Ranieri clearly has a history of managing the big clubs, Chelsea, Monaco, Inter. Yes, his time with Greece was bad, but just look at that lot, they still lost to the Faroe Islands again. He's got the credentials right there, yet it seems like in both cases, he has to inform the clubs that he's interested. Has he done the same with the others? I think I saw something about Villa in there, hmm...

Yep think his name was first mentioned back in January and then again towards the end of the season (when there was lots of uncertainty around 'best coach in the league' Carver). Interestingly, I think he's been linked to the Toon job a number of times (I reckon at least 3-4 times since 2006).

To be honest, I don't think he was ever seriously considered to replace Pardew (or Carver) by the club (though it's hard to really say given the club is run like North Korea with it's media statements!). As far as I'm aware, he was never mentioned as a frontrunner for the job (with names like Garde, Galtier, De Boer, Moyes, Vieria and McClaren seemingly the favourites mentioned by the media over those months - with the Brolly lover getting the final nod).

I just saw he's been out of work since his ill-fated Greece stint so maybe he's had a break and is ready to get back into the game. Hopefully he's not just looking for a payday and has genuine reasons for expressing interest in the Leicester job.

Just thinking out loud, would your owners consider making a play for someone like Vieria? Might be a long shot but it seems he would be willing to go to a club that gave him a platform to build and develop as a manager as well as having ambition too (which your owners seem to have!). Given Leicester are probably looking to consolidate themselves as a PL club this season, maybe a more experienced manager would be a safer bet (Big Sam would be a decent get in that sense though the football as a spectacle might not be pretty!).

Yep think his name was first mentioned back in January and then again towards the end of the season (when there was lots of uncertainty around 'best coach in the league' Carver). Interestingly, I think he's been linked to the Toon job a number of times (I reckon at least 3-4 times since 2006).

To be honest, I don't think he was ever seriously considered to replace Pardew (or Carver) by the club (though it's hard to really say given the club is run like North Korea with it's media statements!). As far as I'm aware, he was never mentioned as a frontrunner for the job (with names like Garde, Galtier, De Boer, Moyes, Vieria and McClaren seemingly the favourites mentioned by the media over those months - with the Brolly lover getting the final nod).

I just saw he's been out of work since his ill-fated Greece stint so maybe he's had a break and is ready to get back into the game. Hopefully he's not just looking for a payday and has genuine reasons for expressing interest in the Leicester job.

Just thinking out loud, would your owners consider making a play for someone like Vieria? Might be a long shot but it seems he would be willing to go to a club that gave him a platform to build and develop as a manager as well as having ambition too (which your owners seem to have!). Given Leicester are probably looking to consolidate themselves as a PL club this season, maybe a more experienced manager would be a safer bet (Big Sam would be a decent get in that sense though the football as a spectacle might not be pretty!).

I see. I found something linking back to West Brom back in 2012. There was something about Villa, but that didn’t have a notable source. There was also something about Sunderland, but that was just his opinion. If anything, it seems like he has a lot of opinions, lol.

Ah, just a suggestion like the others, but nothing serious. Then again, in our case. Once he mentioned it, he just shot into the top 5 in the odds.

It looks like it. Geez, Disastrous is right. 4 games, 1 point, including a loss to the Faroe Islands (Though to be fair, he probably tanked against Serbia since he was allowed to stay on after the Faroe Islands game). Not even 4 months into the job. I also hope that is the case. He had a two year contract worth 1.6m Euros. Considering how gung-ho our owners have been, I wouldn’t be surprised if the contract they offered was a fair cheque. Then again, he was interested in Newcastle… tell me, is Ashley as prudish on the wages as he is on everything else about Newcastle?

We would definitely dig some young and coming talent, though to be honest, it would be ‘homegrown’. It’s either Cambiasso (not yet signed, I have the feeling he’s waiting for the new manager. Better be a good one, he has a good offer from India to consider), or Kevin Phillips. The problem is that Cambiasso is not even certain to be here, and Phillips, I don’t know what he’s really like tactically. I gather that he likes his strikers to apply forward pressure, and I suppose he’ll keep our structure the same. I’m not sure what he would be like if that strategy doesn’t work. The only other type of homegrown that will be considered is Neil Lennon, and I hate to say it, but he’s not up to scratch. He may have Champions League experience, but he managed Celtic without Rangers. He struggled with Bolton.

Those are the front runners. The only odd one out is Steve Cotterill, who is neither a big name nor homegrown. I have not a Scooby Doo why he’s even mentioned. OK, maybe because he won League 1. But come on, that guy can’t even cut it in the lower Championship. Cotterill is basically a death sentence.

Our situation is an interesting one. We’ve got the tools to press on for a top 10 spot. The owners will be more than pleased to lend you their money (Of course, by doing that, people are going to take you for suckers, which is why Nigel played the smart game). The problem is that all of the players and the absolute majority of the fans didn’t want Pearson to leave at this point in time. One of the best things we had going for us is the fact that players would rather stay here than seek opportunities at higher ranking clubs. They were not going to sit on the bench like Lovern or Gomis or Begovich. They wanted to be here. We were not a selling club. Now with Pearson gone, that’s put that idea into jeopardy.

The owners also want Europe sooner rather than later, and they want to make Leicester a household name. I learnt some rather interesting things about how Leicester is viewed from Thailand a couple of days ago, and I think I can see why. They want someone with that Asian Influence as well (actually more significant then you think). There are some decent names being thrown about, like Jocelyn Gourvennec (The young French Klopp) from Guingamp (Knockhaert’s old club!) However, there has to be a degree of a respectable coach that will get the players onside from the start. (After all, you replaced their favourite manager with this guy, so he better be good.) You also want to know that he will not only further improve the club, but will be there to build a legacy.

Looking at this, the most likely option is a reputable name with an understudy to succeed him two years later. Hiddink ticks most of these boxes. He would definitely have an understudy if he was appointed manager. Once Hiddink retires, the understudy is fully trained, ready to go.

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t mind Gourvennec, and I would have him over Viera on the basis of experience. Don’t get me wrong, a young manager would be great, but he either needs to know the club (Cambiasso or Phillips (or even Lennon)), or have top tier experience under his belt (Gourvennec). If Gourvennec is looking to set forth into a new world, we could very well be that club. For Vieria, I'm afraid that his best chance to become an PL manager is gone. Granted, it wasn't in the best of circumstances, but in the Premier League, especially with 100 million pounds on the line, you're going to need some credibility. Mind you, the Championship is very good experience for young up-and-coming managers.

Darn it, I did it again…

I see. I found something linking back to West Brom back in 2012. There was something about Villa, but that didn’t have a notable source. There was also something about Sunderland, but that was just his opinion. If anything, it seems like he has a lot of opinions, lol.

Ah, just a suggestion like the others, but nothing serious. Then again, in our case. Once he mentioned it, he just shot into the top 5 in the odds.

It looks like it. Geez, Disastrous is right. 4 games, 1 point, including a loss to the Faroe Islands (Though to be fair, he probably tanked against Serbia since he was allowed to stay on after the Faroe Islands game). Not even 4 months into the job. I also hope that is the case. He had a two year contract worth 1.6m Euros. Considering how gung-ho our owners have been, I wouldn’t be surprised if the contract they offered was a fair cheque. Then again, he was interested in Newcastle… tell me, is Ashley as prudish on the wages as he is on everything else about Newcastle?

We would definitely dig some young and coming talent, though to be honest, it would be ‘homegrown’. It’s either Cambiasso (not yet signed, I have the feeling he’s waiting for the new manager. Better be a good one, he has a good offer from India to consider), or Kevin Phillips. The problem is that Cambiasso is not even certain to be here, and Phillips, I don’t know what he’s really like tactically. I gather that he likes his strikers to apply forward pressure, and I suppose he’ll keep our structure the same. I’m not sure what he would be like if that strategy doesn’t work. The only other type of homegrown that will be considered is Neil Lennon, and I hate to say it, but he’s not up to scratch. He may have Champions League experience, but he managed Celtic without Rangers. He struggled with Bolton.

Those are the front runners. The only odd one out is Steve Cotterill, who is neither a big name nor homegrown. I have not a Scooby Doo why he’s even mentioned. OK, maybe because he won League 1. But come on, that guy can’t even cut it in the lower Championship. Cotterill is basically a death sentence.

Our situation is an interesting one. We’ve got the tools to press on for a top 10 spot. The owners will be more than pleased to lend you their money (Of course, by doing that, people are going to take you for suckers, which is why Nigel played the smart game). The problem is that all of the players and the absolute majority of the fans didn’t want Pearson to leave at this point in time. One of the best things we had going for us is the fact that players would rather stay here than seek opportunities at higher ranking clubs. They were not going to sit on the bench like Lovern or Gomis or Begovich. They wanted to be here. We were not a selling club. Now with Pearson gone, that’s put that idea into jeopardy.

The owners also want Europe sooner rather than later, and they want to make Leicester a household name. I learnt some rather interesting things about how Leicester is viewed from Thailand a couple of days ago, and I think I can see why. They want someone with that Asian Influence as well (actually more significant then you think). There are some decent names being thrown about, like Jocelyn Gourvennec (The young French Klopp) from Guingamp (Knockhaert’s old club!) However, there has to be a degree of a respectable coach that will get the players onside from the start. (After all, you replaced their favourite manager with this guy, so he better be good.) You also want to know that he will not only further improve the club, but will be there to build a legacy.

Looking at this, the most likely option is a reputable name with an understudy to succeed him two years later. Hiddink ticks most of these boxes. He would definitely have an understudy if he was appointed manager. Once Hiddink retires, the understudy is fully trained, ready to go.

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t mind Gourvennec, and I would have him over Viera on the basis of experience. Don’t get me wrong, a young manager would be great, but he either needs to know the club (Cambiasso or Phillips (or even Lennon)), or have top tier experience under his belt (Gourvennec). If Gourvennec is looking to set forth into a new world, we could very well be that club. For Vieria, I'm afraid that his best chance to become an PL manager is gone. Granted, it wasn't in the best of circumstances, but in the Premier League, especially with 100 million pounds on the line, you're going to need some credibility. Mind you, the Championship is very good experience for young up-and-coming managers.

Darn it, I did it again…

Ha! I'll try and keep my post brief so we don't hijack the thread like the owners thread lol (hoping to reply to that latest post of yours tonight by the way!)

Doesn't sound like Claudio is short on cash then...

I think to a degree, it's our club's name and potential that still is the main draw for prospective managers. Certainly, we're not cashed up (or rather have an owner willing to put sums of money into the club), considered an overly 'attractive' place to live (compared to London) so with Ranieri (and others), maybe they see the club as still 'big' by PL standards. Not sure how long that will last though, we seems to be being overtaken by just about everyone at present!

As for Pardew, I seem to recall there was talk of Palace effectively doubling his wage - while Pardew I think was one of the lowest paid managers in the PL with us, he had quite the advantage of having an 8 year contract with the better part of 5 years left before Palace came calling.

Gourvennec! Forgot to mention him. He was also heavily linked to us (perhaps the French connection but also his ability to seemingly perform impressive feats with a shoestring budget). We were also linked to the impressive Paco Jemez of Rayo Vallecano too. To be honest, I'd rather either of these guys over McClaren. If things go bottoms up with Steve, I wouldn't mind seeing our new assistant manager Ian Cathro given a look in - he comes pretty highly regarded from what I've managed to find reading up on him (which is part of why I thought if Guus did come to Leicester, it would be great to have someone he could groom as his successor).

Ha! I'll try and keep my post brief so we don't hijack the thread like the owners thread lol (hoping to reply to that latest post of yours tonight by the way!)

Doesn't sound like Claudio is short on cash then...

I think to a degree, it's our club's name and potential that still is the main draw for prospective managers. Certainly, we're not cashed up (or rather have an owner willing to put sums of money into the club), considered an overly 'attractive' place to live (compared to London) so with Ranieri (and others), maybe they see the club as still 'big' by PL standards. Not sure how long that will last though, we seems to be being overtaken by just about everyone at present!

As for Pardew, I seem to recall there was talk of Palace effectively doubling his wage - while Pardew I think was one of the lowest paid managers in the PL with us, he had quite the advantage of having an 8 year contract with the better part of 5 years left before Palace came calling.

Gourvennec! Forgot to mention him. He was also heavily linked to us (perhaps the French connection but also his ability to seemingly perform impressive feats with a shoestring budget). We were also linked to the impressive Paco Jemez of Rayo Vallecano too. To be honest, I'd rather either of these guys over McClaren. If things go bottoms up with Steve, I wouldn't mind seeing our new assistant manager Ian Cathro given a look in - he comes pretty highly regarded from what I've managed to find reading up on him (which is part of why I thought if Guus did come to Leicester, it would be great to have someone he could groom as his successor).

I think that’s the best way. Sustainable writing for all! Lol. (Looking forward to that!)

Nah, he’s good. I’m not too sure about Greece though…

Hmm, some valid points there, though that Pardew one is… semi-surprising. I mean, on one hand, if you’re going to be stuck at a club, especially after you took them to 5th, you’re probably sold yourself short. On the other hand, that’s some long term security! Even if you get cut, you’ve got a heck of a pay packet. Either way, that 8 year contract was crazy. Newcastle’s a weird one. The resources are there to be at least on the same level as Tottenham and Liverpool (Everton may also be part of this tier), but due to poor handling, well… just look at our signings and potential managers (Granted, there’s still a good chance we will get a Lennon or a Cottrill, but when a greenhorn in Vieira rejects Newcastle because he won’t be given the chance to properly develop, that says a fair bit about our clubs’ current standing). All the resources that a club could ever want, and nary a thing to go forwards. Well, you know what they say in this business; if you’re standing still, you’re going backwards.

Well, I wouldn’t call Guingamp a fully shoestring budget case considering the gap between Guingamp (18th) and the 10th most expensive squad (Toulouse) is almost the same from Leicester(19th) to West Brom (18th). In fact, Guingamp to Marseille(2nd) is basically Leicester to Everton. However, they did win the Coupe de France cup on their promotion season to play in the Europa League (they got group stage because the French Domestic Cup is given that spot), and they did make it to the Round of 32 (Best of the French sides) while finishing in the Top 10, all with the 3rd cheapest squad. Let’s be honest, that’s some good stuff, even after we took their best player, lol.

A new assistant manager you say? Well, on the bright side, surely can’t be worse than the other bloke that shall not be named, lol. Let’s just hope the environment improves around him.

Meanwhile, it has been reported that Hiddink wants to be a 'Supervisor.' Not the DOF, but... 'Supervisor.' Now they are saying he's rejected the manager position. I would like to think that the manager is taking their time in choosing the right man for the job, but at the same time, we're losing many precious pre-season days here.

Predrag Radosavljević was crunched in hard by the bookmakers overnight. Seems incredibly unlikely though.

He's currently managing 3rd tier US football. Has been with 2 MLS clubs before that. Would certainly be out of left field if he gets it.

Incredibly unlikely? http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-prem...i-radosavljevic-leaves-sacramento-for-england

Also, Bob Bradley from Stabaek as well? A guy that got sacked by Egypt for failing to qualify for the World Cup? I leave early, and this is what's happening? Should I honestly be that surprised? Can I nominate Nicola Bernadi from Folgore for the position while we're at it? He knows how to build a team and get results!

If any of those happens, it kinda makes me wonder how the heck did that search process go?

Then again, PSV manager Cocu? That's a lot better.

Where have you seen us linked to Cocu?

Rob Dorsett (Sky sports midlands correspondent) has spoken to someone who said they'd be 'very surprised' if he ended up at Leicester. Thinks he's coming to the UK but not for our job.

To be honest, I just looked at the odds and just saw his name there at 20/1. I'm trying to find a further connection... but nothing? It has to be one of the most random things I've seen. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if people jumped on because they want to believe.

Wait, you mean Preki? As much as I want to believe that on the basis of... US 3rd tier, the major problem I have is that we're the only vacancy in the top 4 leagues. Preki did also win the title in his first year, and in very strong contention to go back-to-back. He is not coming over to the UK to merely be a coach or assistant. I can't think of any in the Scottish Premier, and you can forget about Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think there's a very good reason why he's 2-1 favourites going on that information. Also, first ever Yankee manager in the Prem. That's some selling value there.

To be honest, I just looked at the odds and just saw his name there at 20/1. I'm trying to find a further connection... but nothing? It has to be one of the most random things I've seen. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if people jumped on because they want to believe.

Wait, you mean Preki? As much as I want to believe that on the basis of... US 3rd tier, the major problem I have is that we're the only vacancy in the top 4 leagues. Preki did also win the title in his first year, and in very strong contention to go back-to-back. He is not coming over to the UK to merely be a coach or assistant. I can't think of any in the Scottish Premier, and you can forget about Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think there's a very good reason why he's 2-1 favourites going on that information. Also, first ever Yankee manager in the Prem. That's some selling value there.
Maybe. I'm willing to trust all the sources around Leicester that he isn't coming to us though.

Either way, I don't even care. If it is him, great. Hurry up and get him started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. I'm willing to trust all the sources around Leicester that he isn't coming to us though.

Either way, I don't even care. If it is him, great. Hurry up and get him started.

I know, we should be more trusting of our local sources, but when the club official website announces this: http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news/2015/07/08/srfc-coach-preki-accepts-uk-position and well, combined with the fact it was made today, suggests to me those Leicester sources are going to get a good look at him later today when he comes on over and it is made official.

We'll have to wait and see tomorrow if Preki is indeed the manager. Like you, I just want this to be over. We'll see what sort of impact that he will have. Maybe the marketing will be good for us. At least he has had some recent success.

Incredibly unlikely? http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-prem...i-radosavljevic-leaves-sacramento-for-england

Also, Bob Bradley from Stabaek as well? A guy that got sacked by Egypt for failing to qualify for the World Cup? I leave early, and this is what's happening? Should I honestly be that surprised? Can I nominate Nicola Bernadi from Folgore for the position while we're at it? He knows how to build a team and get results!

If any of those happens, it kinda makes me wonder how the heck did that search process go?

Then again, PSV manager Cocu? That's a lot better.

Well that's a coincidence Fryer! We were discussing the quality of coaching in Canada over in the owners thread and it seems 'Preki' was once manager of Toronto! Him and Carver of the same career path?

Interestingly, we (Toon) are scheduled to play Sacramento Republic in a friendly next week so this is an interesting development.

Well that's a coincidence Fryer! We were discussing the quality of coaching in Canada over in the owners thread and it seems 'Preki' was once manager of Toronto! Him and Carver of the same career path?

Interestingly, we (Toon) are scheduled to play Sacramento Republic in a friendly next week so this is an interesting development.

Oh god, don't you even think about going there! I do not need those thoughts, lol. Actually no. At least Preki built a team and actually won a title, so ha! (They were an expansion side)

Also, my beautiful thread, it's become a mud slinging fight about 'Old English League just anin't what it used to be because greed' As much as I want to say something about it, I'm not even going to go there. I'm afraid I will have to delay my response, as much as I want to get back, especially with this new development.

Gee whiz, a double set right there. I'm now looking at the fixture list. They have a 3 week break after their match to LA Galaxy II (Preki's last match, so I guess this means the manager announcement for us will likely be Sunday or Monday British time). I also see their friendlies. Hey NUFC Tiger, guess who else they are playing? I'll give you a hint, they are the worst people in the UK, lol. (Meaning that both of you guys are in the US at the same time.) To make things even better, you're playing Club Atlas, and so is Sacramento Republic. You guys might as well play a tri-series for your own cup or something, lol.

Apparently Predag doesnt even hold a FA pro license, a mandatory qualification to manage in the PL.

If any of the journalists actually did a proper job, they'd have figured that out yesterday. Rather than run around like headless chooks trying to print about our new 'manager'.

That's correct, but isn't the precedent that he has 12 weeks (the length of the caretaker's role) to start the course to get the pro license? That's what happened with Monk.

Anyway, something more about Preki; I think you figured it out, but he has close ties with our friend Milan. That is the only way, and a way that suggests something more, that Preki would even be considered in the first place. Be it manager or coach (I still have to say considering his current position, it does seem a bit weird it would be the latter), if he is coming here, that's why, and would suggest our owners are keeping in touch with Milan, possibly for our next manager.

At this point, it's anyone's guess. I do stand by my prediction we'll hear about the new manager on Sunday. If the Preki episode taught us anything, it should be that things could be a lot worse than Cotterill.

That's correct, but isn't the precedent that he has 12 weeks (the length of the caretaker's role) to start the course to get the pro license? That's what happened with Monk.

Anyway, something more about Preki; I think you figured it out, but he has close ties with our friend Milan. That is the only way, and a way that suggests something more, that Preki would even be considered in the first place. Be it manager or coach (I still have to say considering his current position, it does seem a bit weird it would be the latter), if he is coming here, that's why, and would suggest our owners are keeping in touch with Milan, possibly for our next manager.

At this point, it's anyone's guess. I do stand by my prediction we'll hear about the new manager on Sunday. If the Preki episode taught us anything, it should be that things could be a lot worse than Cotterill.
Possibly, not 100% sure on that though. It wouldn't be practical though, would it? Him having to get that while already looking after a shortened pre season.

Please no to Cotterill. It's just so uninspiring that.

Possibly, not 100% sure on that though. It wouldn't be practical though, would it? Him having to get that while already looking after a shortened pre season.

Please no to Cotterill. It's just so uninspiring that.

Well the condition is that as long as he starts the course within the 12 weeks. Since he's surely got some badges in the US (He did manage Chivas and Toronto after all)

Actually, wait a moment. Preki has a UEFA Coaching Diploma, given to coaches and managers who have been coaching or managing for 10 years or attended the course in 2003. It it seen as the equivalent of a UEFA Pro License. So in other words, he doesn't need anything more to manage in the PL. (For further note, managers like Fergie, Wegner, O'Neill, and Rednapp would have diplomas, so they don't need the license.)

I know what you mean. Woop-de-do, you got promotion out of League 1, but you still aren't any good in the Championship. Also helps that Bristol City is backed by a local billionaire.

Let's be honest, most of our options would be viewed as 'disappointing.' I can only hope the owners are doing a very through process in finding the right man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back