The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiddink is definitely towards the end of his time as a manager. Could be a good guiding figure for Cambiasso or someone though.

The rumour is exactly that. Stay two years while tutoring the number 2, so the young number 2 becomes the new legacy figure. There has also been other mentions of him becoming the new DOF, replacing Rudkin in that role.

Either way, Hiddink will have an understudy, and I would be all for that.

Out of curiosity, who is the Leicester assistant manager?

Hiddink has a lot of nous and gravitas in the game, would probably help attract some players to the club who might not ordinarily look at Leicester as a destination (just being linked to a name like Hiddink IMO is a sign of the club's progress in recent times).

That being said, he might not be a suitable long term option so maybe with a younger assistant manager, he could help groom someone to then take his place?

Out of curiosity, who is the Leicester assistant manager?

Hiddink has a lot of nous and gravitas in the game, would probably help attract some players to the club who might not ordinarily look at Leicester as a destination (just being linked to a name like Hiddink IMO is a sign of the club's progress in recent times).

That being said, he might not be a suitable long term option so maybe with a younger assistant manager, he could help groom someone to then take his place?

That would be Craig Shakesphere and Steve Walsh (Of Chelsea scouting fame, not the former captain. He bought Drogba to Chelsea), Pearson's right and left hand man. Usually they would leave when the big man does. At this point, we're not sure if they're looking to develop further, or if they will leave once Pearson gets a new job, but I think it's very important that at the very least Walsh stays.

Hiddink's is a huge name indeed. Yes, he may be coming towards the end, and he hasn't exactly been on top of it all, but honestly, he's the best option that we do have, especially with Lennon's Bolton having a shocking end to the season (Think they won three games since February to finish 18th). We would rather Hiddink for two years with an understudy, raising the profile of the club then to deal with that (even then, the best answer is to get Pearson back, but nothing can be done). Even with the circumstances, Hiddink is far more likely to keep the names at the club than any of the other listed candidates, which is the biggest challenge at this point in time.

Of course, the biggest risk is that he becomes like Sven (Yeah, we had THE Sven at the club when we were Championship. It was a very costly exercise). Looking at what is going on now, it seems to be more apparent what was really happening. Pearson seemed to be too much of a prude for the owners, who want to spend big to get Europe now. In fact, thinking back to some of Pearson's comments, there seems to be some suggestions that some of the transfers may have been out of his control, even the proposed ones.

If Hiddink does come, it would be absolutely guaranteed that it will be an 'understudy' set up. It's pretty much been expressed everywhere. He's just a short term fix. The problem is that I don't know what exactly the owners want. As noted, Hiddink is winding down. Would he get us top 10? Possibly, but I would rate him less likely than Pearson to accomplish the goal. Is Top 10 good enough for the owners? I don't know.

There lies the problem. It feels like a case of deja vu. We got rid of Pearson for a 'bigger' name in Sousa and Sven, who then proceed to throw money at everything and give players heavy contracts for very little to show for it. Of course, there's still a lot to happen yet, so let's see who's the manager first. Hiddink + Understudy is the best of the options that is available to us. Lennon is too much like Craig Levin, and I do not want Cotterill (alright manager, but the Championship is a different game, never mind the PL.) O'Neill? Even if he wanted to, he'll be so out of it, it isn't funny. Big Sam is alright with me, but I don't think he'll do anything until December anyway.

As I said, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Ranieri the latest linked. Klopp's odds have been noticeably shortened as well after our owners spent time in London while Jurgen was there and his manager talked up not joining a top 4 club.

Absolutely no chance Klopp takes it imo. If he does, I'm moving to Leicester.

So you saw that too? Please tell me that like a rational person, you paid it no mind, and just laughed at the fools throwing their money at the bookies, because the bookies weigh according to the flow of the money? Because if you did, that shows at least one of us has some sense! (In other words, I couldn't help but just watch in awe of it all. It was just amazing to watch those odds get shorter and shorter, watching people's reactions to it.)

Absolutely no chance? There's no such thing in this case. Klopp made it very clear that he's open to the notion of someone outside of the top 4 (in fact, he likely prefers it). Of course, you'd think Liverpool and Tottenham, but after publicly backing Rodgers, even signing O'Driscoll, and with Tottenham, Southampton, Swansea, Everton and Stoke happy with their managers, West Ham just appointing a new manager, it kinda makes you wonder why he would make an announcement like that?

Let's see, only one club is currently without a manager at this point in time. They have billionaire owners, and they seem to be going places and dream of something higher (Top 5 in three years). Then Klopp leaves his message. Basically, 'I'm open to discussion.'

Let's be honest, the chances of it happening are very slim. But that's the key point: slim. Klopp is one for projects. He wants to try and do things rather than a 'boring' top team gig. Let's be honest, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Everton are exactly the sort of clubs he'll be after. But here's the thing, are we really that far from them?

If the owners are serious about this, then they should throw everything and sell their vision for Leicester to Klopp. The guy is willing to listen. It doesn't hurt to ask. Until Klopp says no outright, the chance is still there.

By the way, in case you couldn't tell, I've been injected with too much hope here (Because anything is better than Cotterill and Lennon, as much as I like Lennon). I'm just trying to justify the darn thing. Curse these Leicester fans and their push to make things happen. (Hey, if it helps the media to ask the big question to clear things up, I'm all for it.)

I'll tell you one thing though, if Klopp happens... can I join you in your move? I hear the Leicestershire countryside is actually very nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, I forgot to mention:
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/07/ranieri-i-would-be-open-to-becoming-leicester-city-manager/

Pros: Was the Chelsea Manager before Jose, setting up the base of a new era. Signed Huth, worked with Walsh and had Cambiasso under him.
Cons: This:

And sold us Dennis Wise (Sorry Chelsea Fans, to hell with Dennis Wise).

Well, at least he has made it clear that he is interested in us... but there seems to be a lot of mixed reactions to this one. He also shortened dramatically with Klopp.

Chelsea fans, Jatz, thoughts?

Oh, I forgot to mention:
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/07/ranieri-i-would-be-open-to-becoming-leicester-city-manager/

Pros: Was the Chelsea Manager before Jose, setting up the base of a new era. Signed Huth, worked with Walsh and had Cambiasso under him.

Well, at least he has made it clear that he is interested in us... but there seems to be a lot of mixed reactions to this one. He also shortened dramatically with Klopp.

It was a fair while ago(not sure what/how he's done recently), but I thought he was a decent manager(not great, not bad). Seemed to like to rotate the squad a fair bit(Tinkerman). Signed some good players too that helped set up our dynasty, seemed he was good at building the team but not taking it to the next level.

Last edited:
So you saw that too? Please tell me that like a rational person, you paid it no mind, and just laughed at the fools throwing their money at the bookies, because the bookies weigh according to the flow of the money? Because if you did, that shows at least one of us has some sense! (In other words, I couldn't help but just watch in awe of it all. It was just amazing to watch those odds get shorter and shorter, watching people's reactions to it.)

Absolutely no chance? There's no such thing in this case. Klopp made it very clear that he's open to the notion of someone outside of the top 4 (in fact, he likely prefers it). Of course, you'd think Liverpool and Tottenham, but after publicly backing Rodgers, even signing O'Driscoll, and with Tottenham, Southampton, Swansea, Everton and Stoke happy with their managers, West Ham just appointing a new manager, it kinda makes you wonder why he would make an announcement like that?

Let's see, only one club is currently without a manager at this point in time. They have billionaire owners, and they seem to be going places and dream of something higher (Top 5 in three years). Then Klopp leaves his message. Basically, 'I'm open to discussion.'

Let's be honest, the chances of it happening are very slim. But that's the key point: slim. Klopp is one for projects. He wants to try and do things rather than a 'boring' top team gig. Let's be honest, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Everton are exactly the sort of clubs he'll be after. But here's the thing, are we really that far from them?

If the owners are serious about this, then they should throw everything and sell their vision for Leicester to Klopp. The guy is willing to listen. It doesn't hurt to ask. Until Klopp says no outright, the chance is still there.

By the way, in case you couldn't tell, I've been injected with too much hope here (Because anything is better than Cotterill and Lennon, as much as I like Lennon). I'm just trying to justify the darn thing. Curse these Leicester fans and their push to make things happen. (Hey, if it helps the media to ask the big question to clear things up, I'm all for it.)

I'll tell you one thing though, if Klopp happens... can I join you in your move? I hear the Leicestershire countryside is actually very nice.
I paid it no mind at all. There must have been some significant money come in for it though, the markets don't normally change that drastically.

I agree with some of what you've said above. For the right manager, we'd be a very attractive prospect but we are some way from the Liverpool's, Tottenham's etc.

As you say though, unless we ask, we'll never know!

Ranieri the latest linked. Klopp's odds have been noticeably shortened as well after our owners spent time in London while Jurgen was there and his manager talked up not joining a top 4 club.

Absolutely no chance Klopp takes it imo. If he does, I'm moving to Leicester.
I would love it. THink he would thrive there.

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Liking this post purely for the appropriate choice of words on Dennis Wise. Absolute grub!!

I reckon Ranieri would be a decent appointment, has managed some of the biggest club's in Europe so would have some pulling power for potential signings IMO.

If memory serves me right, he was linked to QPR a few times after he left Chelsea - seems like he is someone who is keen to return to England. He expressed interest in the Toon job earlier in the year IIRC.

Liking this post purely for the appropriate choice of words on Dennis Wise. Absolute grub!!

I reckon Ranieri would be a decent appointment, has managed some of the biggest club's in Europe so would have some pulling power for potential signings IMO.

If memory serves me right, he was linked to QPR a few times after he left Chelsea - seems like he is someone who is keen to return to England. He expressed interest in the Toon job earlier in the year IIRC.

Hmm, that's interesting information that. I take this was around the time Pardew left.

There is a couple things that do make me wonder. He threw his name out there, but did the Newcastle board consider Ranieri, or did they want to stick with Carver from the very start? The other point is also in regard to our situation. Just a phone call away from managing. He did confirm he wasn't approached so far. I know our owners are keeping a tight lid on things, but it's a bit weird...

Ranieri clearly has a history of managing the big clubs, Chelsea, Monaco, Inter. Yes, his time with Greece was bad, but just look at that lot, they still lost to the Faroe Islands again. He's got the credentials right there, yet it seems like in both cases, he has to inform the clubs that he's interested. Has he done the same with the others? I think I saw something about Villa in there, hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back