Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh okay. I was going by the official Adelaide Oval estimates. Still, why would attendance be higher than membership?

LOL oh yeah if Rucci said 32k for membership he's been huffing something pretty out there. We were 40k in 2013. Are you sure he didn't say 32k reserved seat membership?

In (reluctant) defense of Mark Bickley, the two times I've tuned in since he joined the show he has been extremely vociferous in advocating the position of the AFL clubs over the SANFL re: Adelaide Oval. He has even shouted down Rowe and Cornes on the topic. Can't speak for anything beyond the 15 minutes or so that I've heard but at least he's not an SANFL stooge.

In (reluctant) defense of Mark Bickley, the two times I've tuned in since he joined the show he has been extremely vociferous in advocating the position of the AFL clubs over the SANFL re: Adelaide Oval. He has even shouted down Rowe and Cornes on the topic. Can't speak for anything beyond the 15 minutes or so that I've heard but at least he's not an SANFL stooge.
Bickley is on the payroll at Cowland. He is pushing the Cows' barrow and at the moment that just happens to align with what we want and is contrary to what the SNAFL want.

Rooch is alright at times. But sometimes I just sit there, shaking my head in haughty derision at some of the stuff he writes.

He could pull that half-arsed s**t in the days before social media and the Internet where everything ever written can be fact-checked and discredited with relative ease.

It's a large part of why print media is dying. Why pay for out-of-date half-truths that do your head in when you can find all the up-to-date info you need, interactive and free?

A Northern stand - that no one asked for and was a white elephant with crowds hovering around the 40k mark even after it was built.

Corporate facilities - that the SANFL directly benefited from and again were built because the campaigners wanted to fleece more money from the AFL clubs by actively marketing against them for sponsorship dollars.

Grants to Port Adelaide - that were a fraction of the commercial benefit having 22 games of football played at a stadium owned and operated by the SANFL.

If the SANFL ran a funeral home, no one would die. That's how bad they are at business strategy.

Spot on Janus. The Northern stand was never built for Port supporters and therefore we should not wear any of the cost. One of the most stupid decisions made by the sanfl. Only needed for a couple of games a year therefore not good maths. Where were the Crows supporters who were supposed to fill this stand?

Listening to Grandpa and even Rowe, the SANFL's position seems to be diminishing by the second. According to Wrinkles, the SANFL have offered the club's all of the SANFLs profit and they've said no dice. It appears now that the Crows are now finally on the same Page. Fagan and Kochie are both from NSW. They have no time for this small town s**t. Time to get s**t done.

Listening to Grandpa and even Rowe, the SANFL's position seems to be diminishing by the second. According to Wrinkles, the SANFL have offered the club's all of the SANFLs profit and they've said no dice. It appears now that the Crows are now finally on the same Page. Fagan and Kochie are both from NSW. They have no time for this small town s**t. Time to get s**t done.

This story starts really boring but the end is awesome.

A Northern stand - that no one asked for and was a white elephant with crowds hovering around the 40k mark even after it was built.

I could never understand even as a 13 year old when it was built, why was it built?

My main question was always "If you want to add capacity why not add a stand onto the eastern wing where the tickets would sell for a premium price?"

And I got these thoughts from playing Simcity and I am most certainly no economist.

I could never understand even as a 13 year old when it was built, why was it built?

My main question was always "If you want to add capacity why not add a stand onto the eastern wing where the tickets would sell for a premium price?"
Not sure if serious.o_O
Obviously a monstrosity already existed on the Eastern wing.:rolleyes:
Also, Trigg was concerned about blocking the view from his office..:eek:

He could pull that half-arsed s**t in the days before social media and the Internet where everything ever written can be fact-checked and discredited with relative ease.

It's a large part of why print media is dying. Why pay for out-of-date half-truths that do your head in when you can find all the up-to-date info you need, interactive and free?

Out of all the things that gimme the s#its - quite a long and growing list - maybe nothing gives me the shits more than experienced media types, who know the game inside out, feigning shock and horror and claiming the high moral ground in wake of a meltdown they've largely caused.

Mia Freeman is the "master" of it. But Rooch did a fair job himself after the Gorringe blow-up.

The real world is tough ... but the social media world is just rough. And it certainly is not social. Quite disappointing really.

F@%KOFF, FERRET FACE!

You got your rocks off when Gorringe went off. Coz you knew it was clickbait. And it blew-up exactly like you knew it would.

So spare us the pithy pontifications.

Now, in the old days, a Merv Agars or a Bob Kingston or a Gordon Schwartz probably wouldn't have run the Gorringe quotes. Or at least, the more inflammatory quotes.

But you did, Rooch. You went to town on them. And stitched up Gorringe beautifully.

Okay, glad I finally got that off my chest...

Out of all the things that gimme the s#its - quite a long and growing list - maybe nothing gives me the shits more than experienced media types, who know the game inside out, feigning shock and horror and claiming the high moral ground in wake of a meltdown they've largely caused.

Mia Freeman is the "master" of it. But Rooch did a fair job himself after the Gorringe blow-up.

The real world is tough ... but the social media world is just rough. And it certainly is not social. Quite disappointing really.

F@%KOFF, FERRET FACE!

You got your rocks off when Gorringe went off. Coz you knew it was clickbait. And it blew-up exactly like you knew it would.

So spare us the pithy pontifications.

Now, in the old days, a Merv Agars or a Bob Kingston or a Gordon Schwartz probably wouldn't have run the Gorringe quotes. Or at least, the more inflammatory quotes.

But you did, Rooch. You went to town on them. And stitched up Gorringe beautifully.

Okay, glad I finally got that off my chest...
Quoting 'cause I can't like again.
I have a 12 volume, unfinished tome of 'Things that give me the Shits'!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, in the old days, a Merv Agars or a Bob Kingston or a Gordon Schwartz probably wouldn't have run the Gorringe quotes.

Merv's grandson is working as a free-lance in Hong Kong. (Qualifies for 'Nods Head'.)

He'll also be playing for the Lantau Lizards, one of the three HK Dragons teams, next season. Their flag odds have shortened.

I think I have worked out why wrinkles and cRowe defend the $NAFL with the misguided blind loyalty with which they do.

That is where they played most of their football and they need to make it sound important so they can feel relevant themselves. They were both sacked by the crows so deep down it's the $NAFL who is their daddy.

Elbows has no loyalty to the $NAFL and defends his beloved crows.

Corporate facilities - that the SANFL directly benefited from and again were built because the campaigners wanted to fleece more money from the AFL clubs by actively marketing against them for sponsorship dollars.

Grants to Port Adelaide - that were a fraction of the commercial benefit having 22 games of football played at a stadium owned and operated by the SANFL.

If the SANFL ran a funeral home, no one would die. That's how bad they are at business strategy.

How was it a white elephant?? It was built for the crowies and they sold their 6,000 memberships up there every year. They contributed $600k a year out of their membership income every year for 12 years to the SANFL to pay it off.

Any crowd using SANFL Scanners which said 45k+ meant the stand was 95% full and any crowd over 40k meant it was at least 80% full. The first game with the new stand was in Rd 16 2001 and the crows got 46k. The next game was our showdown and we got 49K. Look at all the 40k+ crowds from Rd 16 2001 to the end of 2012 the crows got. The crows had almost 100 games of over 40k once it was built.

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/adelaide/allgames_vn.html#19

s**t it only cost $14mil and provided 6,000 new seats and it meant we could build SuiteOne in 2007 under it. The state government paid 5x $828k grants plus a bigger $6.6mil grant as the SANFL was positioning itself for a $190mil upgrade - "The Logical Solution" and Rann committed $100mil, but luckily the GFC hit and Andy D started banging some heads together in 2008 and 2009.

Last edited:
The state government paid 5x $828k grants plus a bigger $6.6mil grant as the SANFL was positioning itself for a $190mil upgrad - "The Logical Solution" and Rann committed $100mil, but luckily the GFC hit and Andy D started banging some heads together in 2008 and 2009.

image.jpg

'"We have been here for 30 years - it's the home of football and more recently the home of the Crows and the Power - and let there be no mistake we'll be here for the next 30 years,"

"We are here to take on board customers comments, our stakeholder comments, we don't fear constructive criticism at all, in fact we welcome it,"

"There's no venue in Australia whether it be Subiaco, the Gabba or wherever where thousands of families gather for the event with their picnics, their shelters and their BBQs and the carnival atmosphere."

"There's no venue in Australia that holds 4000 people (such as at the Crows shed) that can rub shoulders with their heroes after a game."

"This is a unique experience here."

- Sir Leigh Whicker, OAM​

Got it in one Tribes. If I spend $100 on a pair of shoes that I want, and then I get a better pair for Christmas...the $100 really was a waste of money, wasn't it?

I think I have worked out why wrinkles and cRowe defend the $NAFL with the misguided blind loyalty with which they do.

That is where they played most of their football and they need to make it sound important so they can feel relevant themselves. They were both sacked by the crows so deep down it's the $NAFL who is their daddy.

Elbows has no loyalty to the $NAFL and defends his beloved crows.
Rowe is so parochial SANFL but he is originally a West Australian isn't he?

Rowe is so parochial SANFL but he is originally a West Australian isn't he?

Yes ... played for South Fremantle for 2 seasons 1985/86

Wasnt he born in SA though and moved over as a kid?

The SANFL apologists keep going on about "it will ruin grass roots footy" if the SANFL dont get overs at AO but in the end there is a very simple way to ensure more money goes to junior football in South Australia. Drop the ******* salary cap. Instead we have morons like Chad O'Sullivan come out in the media saying they need to raise the salary cap, despite the fact 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs cant make any money.

Drop the salary cap, forget about attracting s**t hacks like Mitch Thorp on huge salaries that * off after one year, concentrate on improving junior football in SA which will have a two fold effect of increasing the draftee rate (which puts money back into the clubs as well) and improves the 'left overs' to a higher standard of SANFL football. But nah, lets keep the dream alive of being the 2nd best league in the country to keep the 1200 SANFL followers happy.

Wasnt he born in SA though and moved over as a kid?

The SANFL apologists keep going on about "it will ruin grass roots footy" if the SANFL dont get overs at AO but in the end there is a very simple way to ensure more money goes to junior football in South Australia. Drop the ******* salary cap. Instead we have morons like Chad O'Sullivan come out in the media saying they need to raise the salary cap, despite the fact 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs cant make any money.

Drop the salary cap, forget about attracting s**t hacks like Mitch Thorp on huge salaries that **** off after one year, concentrate on improving junior football in SA which will have a two fold effect of increasing the draftee rate (which puts money back into the clubs as well) and improves the 'left overs' to a higher standard of SANFL football. But nah, lets keep the dream alive of being the 2nd best league in the country to keep the 1200 SANFL followers happy.

SA GREAT.

Heaps good.

The SANFL should be the equivalent of the NBA D-League. A feeder league made up of young late developing players and AFL fringe players looking to further develop and make the big time. Funded by the AFL and capable of nurturing players that can step in to fill voids on lists when teams are impacted heavy by injuries over the season. The AFL can then look to further explore the mid season draft option as well as LTI replacement players during the season. An age restriction of say 18-25 could be an option too.

This slush fund for over priced hacks is just a glorified country league at the moment with no benefit for anyone.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

Can't speak for anything beyond the 15 minutes or so that I've heard but at least he's not an SANFL stooge.[/QUOTE said:
The old President Clinton excuse "I did smoke marijuana but didn't inhale".

Kudos to Mark Bickley. His stance on the AFL/SANFL aspect surprised me a little.

The SANFL need to start actually working for the long term existence of the league. Develop better business plans, increase the attraction of the League, look at ways to make the local comp attract higher returns. Clubs within the league need to start weening of the AFL teat and actually improve bottom lines. Diversify its core business, just like companies do, invest into diversity ( I do not mean just pubs and pokies), develop its land or part of it to bring in longer term income. Negotiate with the AFL grass roots footy needs and funding. Bring in fresh young talent to drive these aspects rather then so many old farts who are biast and set in stone as to their ability to think out of the box. What we are now seeing was inevitable over the longer term, the power base is shifting.

Is there anyway we can look at the individual salary bases of the SANFL directors and or executives ? I would love to know what these guys are paying themselves. Along with that I would like to know what they actually do to earn the coin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back