FTA-TV The Newsroom

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope they go back to the style of season 1 where they showed how the team reacted/presented breaking news - wasn't a fan of season 2's storyline where they seemed to focus more on a narrative and the relationships within the organisation.

Interestingly, the show apparently gets quite good audiences despite normally being criticised by the media/reviewers/fans.

Hope they go back to the style of season 1 where they showed how the team reacted/presented breaking news - wasn't a fan of season 2's storyline where they seemed to focus more on a narrative and the relationships within the organisation.

Interestingly, the show apparently gets quite good audiences despite normally being criticised by the media/reviewers/fans.
I liked season 2 because the focus was taken somewhat off their personal relationships. If you could have a season which reacts to news and ceases the cliche romance rubbish, it would be brilliant. Plus, ditch Neil.

Hope they go back to the style of season 1
The irony being that the style of season one was what everyone seemed to hate. I thought season 2 was excellent except for the finale. If they keep it like that (toning down the preachiness and romance) then I think that'll be better. Those scenes like Jane Fonda's character refusing to accept the resignations was as good as TV drama gets

Last edited:
Season 2 definitely wasn't excellent.

The issue was that we all knew Genoa was a busy early so it took so much of the impact out of watching the car crash happen. Rather than letting us get invested in this massive story only for it to be revealed that it wasn't accurate later on.

It managed to balance out Mac's bi polar acting, but it was harder to get invested in Genoa because we all knew it wasn't going to end well.

The there is that god awful finale. That throws a proposal out of nowhere. With absolutely no foreshadowing.

Season 1 wasn't perfect but it was never as bad as the worst of season 2.

The irony being that the style of season one was what everyone seemed to hate. I thought season 2 was excellent except for the finale. If they keep it like that (toning down the preachiness and romance) then I think that'll be better. Those scenes like Jane Fonda's character refusing to accept the resignations was as good as TV drama gets

I think I was the opposite to you CF - I preferred season 1's style over season 2. Season 2 definitely felt a bit messy and unfocussed to me (though it did get a bit better in the second half on the season IMO).

Then again, I'm not a huge drama fan - how did season 2 go ratings wise and with audiences and critics? Given it got renewed for a final third season, it must have been okay?

The first season was intriguing television, and made more interesting by the self-contained episodic nature.

The second season was cliche-riddled rubbish with a ridiculous over-utilisation of offensive stereotypes about women. The way Sloane Sabbath (sp?) came to be portrayed should've been offensive to anyone who understands that there is such a thing as an intelligent woman - here's a legit genius (in character) being portrayed as a ditzy fool.

The second season, in my view, was beyond crap. The ONLY reason I will give the third season a try is because it's the last series.

The first season was intriguing television, and made more interesting by the self-contained episodic nature.

The second season was cliche-riddled rubbish with a ridiculous over-utilisation of offensive stereotypes about women. The way Sloane Sabbath (sp?) came to be portrayed should've been offensive to anyone who understands that there is such a thing as an intelligent woman - here's a legit genius (in character) being portrayed as a ditzy fool.

The second season, in my view, was beyond crap. The ONLY reason I will give the third season a try is because it's the last series.
I'd probably say that the female characters were portrayed just as poorly in season one. For example, Mackenzie not being able to do simple mathematics without counting on her fingers

The first seasons portrayal of MacKenzie was way worse than Sloan Sabbith. Part of it was due to over acting on Mortimer's part, but she was given the lines and presumably directive.

It is amazing that someone who created some of the most powerful and well rounded women characters in television on the West Wing got them all so wrong in this.

The first seasons portrayal of MacKenzie was way worse than Sloan Sabbith. Part of it was due to over acting on Mortimer's part, but she was given the lines and presumably directive.

It is amazing that someone who created some of the most powerful and well rounded women characters in television on the West Wing got them all so wrong in this.

I never quite understand this POV.

Why does a female character (or male for that matter) have to be perfect or representative of what we perceive what a well-rounded female character should be? Why can't a character have flaws? Lots of smart successful women I know have them to varying degrees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never quite understand this POV.

Why does a female character (or male for that matter) have to be perfect or representative of what we perceive what a well-rounded female character should be? Why can't a character have flaws? Lots of smart successful women I know have them to varying degrees.

Did you watch The West Wing?

The characters on the West Wing had their flaws. They weren't perfect, and that was part of the charm. They showed their vulnerability at certain points and it added to their overall depth of character.

Flaws are fine, making a woman become a complete bumbling, bipolar buffoon who is meant to be running an idealistic news program isn't.

The only female characters the show nailed were Sloan & Jane Fonda's character in season 1, they threw both away to a certain extent in season 2.

The characters on the West Wing had their flaws. They weren't perfect, and that was part of the charm. They showed their vulnerability at certain points and it added to their overall depth of character.

Flaws are fine, making a woman become a complete bumbling, bipolar buffoon who is meant to be running an idealistic news program isn't.

The only female characters the show nailed were Sloan & Jane Fonda's character in season 1, they threw both away to a certain extent in season 2.

Again, "nailing" characters doesn't exist. It's only about what you want (prefer probably the better term) to see so really when we don't like a character it says more about us than the writing. Why can't a character be a social shambles but get their job done? And I think saying "complete" is an exaggeration and I wouldn't have even thought of using bipolar as a descriptor of Mackenzie.

Never saw much of The West Wing but have always meant to go and watch it. If it weren't for all these cursed good shows going around in the last few years. But from the little I've watched it would I be correct that The Newsroom is more written to be more slightly comedic generally?

So true. It's like how Josh was so aggressive in dealing with congress, usually it went well, but then there's also instances like when he pushes that one guy too far and he defects to the Republicans afterwards, resulting in Josh getting left out of the loop for basically half a season.

Never saw much of The West Wing but have always meant to go and watch it. If it weren't for all these cursed good shows going around in the last few years. But from the little I've watched it would I be correct that The Newsroom is more written to be more slightly comedic generally?

The Newsroom might be written to be funnier, but The West Wing is funnier, if that makes sense.

The West Wing is a superior show in nearly every single way.

So true. It's like how Josh was so aggressive in dealing with congress, usually it went well, but then there's also instances like when he pushes that one guy too far and he defects to the Republicans afterwards, resulting in Josh getting left out of the loop for basically half a season.

The Newsroom might be written to be funnier, but The West Wing is funnier, if that makes sense.

The West Wing is a superior show in nearly every single way.
Thing is, I don't mind Newsroom, but The West Wing is pretty lame.

I just don't rate it, not it's believability, not the writing, not the cinematography, not the acting. These things are a matter of taste I suppose.

It has the Newsroom well and truly covered for believability and writing.

The West Wing is one of the best shows of all time .

You don't have to like it but it's quality speaks for itself
The Newsroom is higher quality than the West Wing. West Wing was excellant when it was released but it is very dated now and doesn't stand up as well when comparing to shows of todays quality. Newsroom is far wittier and takes more risks. West Wing never took risks and always took the easier route.

It has the Newsroom well and truly covered for believability and writing.
They never took risks on the West Wing or try to achieve any real change which made it easy to be believable. They were a good omen for Obama. Quality writing would of involved implementing real change and shaking things up and still making the audience believe it. But they never took that risk and the show suffered badly because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back