VFL The North VFL Thread [2024 - NMFC lt GWS in Rd5 - CT 24d/14m/1.0; Shiels 23d/10tackles/1.0; Sellers 3g; Maley 2g; Bergman 22d; Arch 15d/8m]

Remove this Banner Ad

Original post by Mr north man below

Wonder what people think where the VFL should head in 2024 especially after making the the Top 10 in 2023.
1:Does Lynch stay as Coach or does he go to the AFL side of the Club.
2:If Lynch goes to the AFL who takes over as Coach maybe try Emma Kearney?
3:What players do we chase I like to see us keep Sellers ,Keogh,Butler and Lowson as Top up players but we definitely need KPP forwards and backs and a Ruck to help Free.
But it would be interesting to see what supporters think.

Last edited:
Haven’t watched any VFL as watching our seniors is hard enough. I assume they’re not as good.

I think we will have a fair few list changes again as the point of the VFL isn’t to win premierships but help assist the development of young footballers.

I’d like to think Lynch remains seems to know what he’s doing .

Agree on Keogh, Butler and Lowson. I think Sellers will get drafted, hopefully by us. I’d also like to keep Ben Davis on.

Hopefully the VFL recruiters can find some decent state league or ex AFL players to make up the numbers. There are plenty of guys playing in lower leagues that are better footballers than Phoenix Spicer and Jacob Edwards.

As for coaching Lynch probably has the job if he wants it. If he decides to move on I like the idea of giving Emma Kearney a go.

Any news or murmurings in regards players for the VFL in 2024.
Hopefully Sellers and Keogh are there plus some ex AFL delisted or VFL,WAFL and SANFL players and hopefully some stand alone games on either a Saturday or Sunday that doesn’t clash with AFL.

More then likely the following players that we have delisted won’t play AFL again but a good chance to play VFL we can convince them to stay Spicer,Mahoney,Bonar need depth and experience in to keep on developing the young players.

More then likely the following players that we have delisted won’t play AFL again but a good chance to play VFL we can convince them to stay Spicer,Mahoney,Bonar need depth and experience in to keep on developing the young players.
I think it’s unlikely. The only case I can think of when a delisted player has stayed on the vfl list is Don Tyson. Turner I can see as more of a possibility.

Better money playing local footy if you think you're done at AFL level, which I'm sure most of them are. Need a (paid) coaching role to stick around.

I am always surprised how few do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one of the 3 will get drafted so if they stay and play it will be a bonus but if they go good luck chasing $$$ at the local level
How can a local team afford to play more than playing at top state level

Mate that’s not correct, 12k lol. Standalone clubs are like 220k and AFL clubs are about half that.
I was exaggerating for effect. 100K is nothing. Some country clubs have budgets in the millions. Meanwhile AFL clubs have a bit over 100k for a list of 30 players. I know it doesn't work out exactly like this but its still an average of four thousand dollars per player if its 120K cap.

Doesn’t sound like we’ve signed anyone new

Plenty of recent delisted talent have signed at other vfl clubs we should be targeting some
That’s not good we need a key back more skilled mid inside midfielder running midfielder key forward to help sellers if he stays and another ruck would be handy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back