The Official BigFooty Boston Celtics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gus Poyet is right though

if you read between the lines of Ainge, Jackie McMullan and her cohorts

no elite FA is coming this offseason unless Danny can swing a trade

our 2016 draft is looking insane though
Dallas Pick (could fall into lottery given how strong West is)
Brooklyn Pick (hoping Lopez and Young don't pick up their options)
Boston Pick

5 second rounders

Free Agency
Im thinking not much happens free agency wise

Maybe Greg Monroe if the rumours are to be believed ie picking between Knicks and Celtics

I like the idea presented on https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics where if we don't get anyone this year - we just stand pat

ie we pick up David Lee for his salary/cap filler and any assets the Warriors are willing to give up to move his contract (1st rounder)

Draft
I think there's rumours that Charlotte is willing to trade pick 9. Not sure if they'd be happy with Pick 16 and 28 alone. Might be Pick 16 and a player? Rumoured to be coveting RJ Hunter but don't want to pay Pick 9 for him.

But if we do move up to pick 9 - I'd be ecstatic to pick up Cauley-Stein, Turner, even Johnson at that pick.

If we don't move up - for the following picks (There's big question marks on everyone available at Pick 16)

Pick 16 - Turner/Kaminsky if they fall > Oubre (drive/attitude) > Portis (athleticism) > Dekker (3s) > Justin Anderson (dribble) > RJ Hunter > Looney > RHJ (shooting). Not sure what to make of Trey Lyles tbh but think he would fit pretty well in a Brad Stevens system.
Pick 28 - Anyone who drops from above; Chris McCullough
Pick 33 - ROBERT UPSHAW
Pick 45 - Satnam Singh, Christian Wood, Cliff Alexander, Pat Connaughton (love him)

Re Robert Upshaw

Only willing to take a chance on Robert Upshaw in the second round. See if he has really changed.

So now we sit and wait.
The players we picked aren't terrible. It seems we've had our list of rated players and we've selected BPA at each pick according to our board.

Based on need basis it seems Hunter was our best pick at 28. Looks a lot like Kevin Martin in his shooting and has a very good 3PT range.
Mickey I think will be a Bass replacement with Leon Powe like energy off the bench.
Rozier is obviously one of those picks we wonder wtf Danny was thinking.

However all of this might make sense when DA goes to work trying to bring players in.

Mason Plumlee is off the Portland which to me means UFA Robin Lopez could be the rim protector we've been looking for and who wont cost us a small fortune. A combo of RL starting and Zeller off the bench is a decent enough combo.

Then there's also Nerlens Noel who is Massachusetts native and potentially available for a trade given all of the bg men they have drafted.

We won't be getting any of the big FA as they are a bunch of pussys who won't like the cold weather climate of Boston and Massachusetts tax players too highly.

I'd love for us to resign Crowder as he's our best option at SF moving forward for now. Jebrenko also back on a min contract.

Players we should be looking to trade to clear room and bring other talent in:

Turner (buy low sell highish)
Bass
Pressey
Babb
Wallace

Which would see our roster something like this with other trades/signings to be added.

PG: Smart -Thomas - Rozier
SG: Bradley - Hunter
SF: Crowder - Young
PF: Sullinger - Olynyk - Jebrenko - Mickey
C: Lopez - Zeller

D-League or cut Marcus Thornton

I watched that draft and thought WTF when we drafted Rozier.. I reckon there were a few raised eyebrows at that pick in the draft hub and I cannot see him being kept as we have Smart, Thomas and, to an extent, Turner *shudder* that can play the PG role. Only way he stays is if Ainge trades Smart which I will lose my load if he does that. Smart is a beast and one of the favourites I reckon.

Mickey is NCAA leading shot blocker and Ainge reckons he is our best front court player because of that versatility and athleticism he showcases. I rate RJ and reckon he will be a good back up.

Our biggest issue is offloading that 10Mill bench coach in Wallace who plays next to no minutes. No interest in him from any club whatsoever.

There's nothing in that. What the hell have Charlotte got that we'd want now anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I was pretty bummed at the time to hear Rozier's name called out at 16

Apparently 1/2 the season ticket holders at the Celtics draft party dispersed after that

But afterwards - Im feeling alot better about the pick

There were rumours leading up to the draft that there was 1 player who absolutely blew the Celtics away in the workouts

and that was Rozier

apparently no one could bring the ball down when Rozier was guarding them

--> confirmed further talk that none of other point guards wanted to face him cos they didn't want to devalue their draft stock

I think from what I read - it came down to Justin Anderson and Rozier for the 16th pick

Personally I really liked Anderson cos he looked like having the same elite drive that Rozier is celebrated to have but filled a need for us.

Also when you have a look at the players that came after
-Rashad Vaughn - apparently we had interest here
-Sam Dekkar - apparently had good draft workouts but is a vanilla prospect.
-Grant/Wright/Tyus Jones PGs - Rozier rated above all 3
-Bobby Portis - apparently wasn't an improvement on the forwards we currently have
-Rondae Hollis Jefferson - can't shoot
-Jarrell Martin - athletic but t-rex arms/wingspan
-Nikola Milutinov -

TBH I was pretty bummed at the time to hear Rozier's name called out at 16

Apparently 1/2 the season ticket holders at the Celtics draft party dispersed after that

But afterwards - Im feeling alot better about the pick

There were rumours leading up to the draft that there was 1 player who absolutely blew the Celtics away in the workouts

and that was Rozier

apparently no one could bring the ball down when Rozier was guarding them

--> confirmed further talk that none of other point guards wanted to face him cos they didn't want to devalue their draft stock

I think from what I read - it came down to Justin Anderson and Rozier for the 16th pick

Personally I really liked Anderson cos he looked like having the same elite drive that Rozier is celebrated to have but filled a need for us.

Also when you have a look at the players that came after
-Rashad Vaughn - apparently we had interest here
-Sam Dekkar - apparently had good draft workouts but is a vanilla prospect.
-Grant/Wright/Tyus Jones PGs - Rozier rated above all 3
-Bobby Portis - apparently wasn't an improvement on the forwards we currently have
-Rondae Hollis Jefferson - can't shoot
-Jarrell Martin - athletic but t-rex arms/wingspan
-Nikola Milutinov -

It's more that we dont need another guard and we drafted 2 of them. Would have peeved a few at the draft party.. not as much as Knicks though..

I trust Ainge as he is a wheeler and dealer. People cracked it when he traded Rondo and yet what's Rondo doing now? Jack schit. I just cannot see who ue will offload.. Pressey for one will be shown the door.

MK-G? Cody Zellar?

I can't see us wanting either of them. From reading reports it seems like now our main goal is to find big men via free agency.

Hopefully that means Robin Lopez.

We're also in the running for Tobias Harris which would be a nice signing going forward.

I can't see us wanting either of them. From reading reports it seems like now our main goal is to find big men via free agency.

Hopefully that means Robin Lopez.

We certainly have the cap space and supposedly clubs want our Nets unprotected picks.

I for one would be stoked with LMA or Boogie, but cannot see either coming our way. Monroe looks the most likely.

I think we just have to wait almost until next season to judge what is actually going on.

I had a WTF moment too as we all did, but Rozier is certainly not a bad pick.

The pick has Stevens finger prints all over it (same with Hunter), and all things point to Stevens knowing what he is doing.

From the Boston Globe ...Coach Stevens on Rozier.....

“I just think he [has] an elite level [of] toughness, athleticism and drive. He’s a great worker. I’ve talked about the environment and the work in the environment that is so important, and I just think he brings a lot of intangibles to the table that we’ve really appreciated about the guys that we’ve had in the locker room. One thing that was consistent when talking to people around him is that that kid studies and works as much as anybody, and I think that’s huge. That’s a huge quality; the kid wants to be really good.”

We're trading someone you would think ....or is there room for them all, Rozier and Smart developing off the bench.

One thing is with Hunter, it spreads that floor.

Tobias looking the only likely acquisition at this stage.

Thomas was never a long term option when you think about it, and I think we all know that Smart will be a good player but limited.

Rozier could turn out okay....

Thomas was never a long term option when you think about it, and I think we all know that Smart will be a good player but limited.

Rozier could turn out okay....

Wasn't Thomas 6th man of the year? Surely you wouldn't offload him. I for one think our cuurent offloads are:
Bass (Forward/Center)
Phil Pressey (PG)
Chris Babb (SG)
Marcus Thornton (SG)

Maybe
Jonas Jerebko (PF)?
Gerald Wallace -PF (10mill hefty contract. Most likely keep)
Evan Turner (Rags to solid contributor under Stevens. Clubs might be interested)
Jared Sullinger (club actively shopped him during draft to Charlotte and Knicks)

Ainge and Stevens love IT2. No way would they trade him.

I think IT2 will be sold on being the leader of the second unit. I'll be having $10 on him being the NBA 6th man next season.

Babb and Pressey's contracts aren't guarenteed so I can see both of them being let go if we do OK in the free agency period.

Wallace contract is now not so much of a burden going forward as it's now at least an expiring contract. It'll be bounced about in trades but if we can't flip it it's no big deal now.

Jebrenko and Datome are FA so chances are neither will return if once again we land so nice pieces in FA. Outside chance Jebrenko gets signed on some kind of minimum contract though.

Crowder is probably our main priority of guys we have that need to resign. He's a restricted FA which is good as at least we have the chance to match any offer to keep him. if we could get him for something like 4/24 i'd be pretty happy with that.

Think it's time to move Bass on if we can, been great but he won't be around if we ever build some kind of team to challenge.

Turner will probably be asked to play more SF this season if we keep him.

1) Apparently we're one of 5 teams on Greg Monroe's list

He's looking for a 2 year + then 1 year player option

2)
Evan Turner (Rags to solid contributor under Stevens. Clubs might be interested)

Agree on Turner

With Smart, Rozier, IT4 - Evan doesn't have a place as the starting ball handler anymore

3)
I don't know about you guys but I WANTED Robert Upshaw with our last pick.

Pick 45 was a second round pick - at least having his draft rights and the fact that it was nonguaranteed contract - could help encourage him to work for success and move him away from drugs

Now he is on the Lakers Summer league team

4) James Young news

apparently he's put on 15 pounds of muscle WHILE ALSO increasing his vertical by 3 inches!!!!!!!!

5) Anyway with Rozier in the fold, along with Smart and IT4

Anyone get the feeling that Ryan McDonough temporarily took over the Celtics reigns on draft night ;P

Not allowed to post stuff about streaming...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back