The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the sort of person I think of when I think of someone who would use the term "Douth":

pete-evans.jpg

Entered Roe Hwy from Karel doing 100, guy already on the highway speeds up, quite likely because he doesn't want me popping out in front of him, I have to slow down to accommodate him and then the idiot coasts along at 90.

Just soooooo WA.
Yesterday you would have been hard pressed to do 10 in the afternoon around there!

Yeah it's always a pain in the bum from 3pm, especially towards the freeway. Thankfully I don't have to go home via that way.

I go that way once a week for the grocery shopping at the Spud Shed, a chain we can all be proud of having.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey guys. I'm not a huge poster when it comes to WA but I'm thinking of moving to Kalgoorlie.

Can anyone tell me what it would be like for a 26 year old Hobart kid who has only moved once (when I was 8) and how it would be? I'm sort of a bit anxious about the whole idea as it's for work, and a permanent position.

I've read up that it's basically a mining town with hookers/strippers. But I want to know - is it really just that? Surely there's more to the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys. I'm not a huge poster when it comes to WA but I'm thinking of moving to Kalgoorlie.

Can anyone tell me what it would be like for a 26 year old Hobart kid who has only moved once (when I was 8) and how it would be? I'm sort of a bit anxious about the whole idea as it's for work, and a permanent position.

I've read up that it's basically a mining town with hookers/strippers. But I want to know - is it really just that? Surely there's more to the place.
A giant pit, a horse track, and pubs.

Devonport without water?

I lived there when I was about your age - (left my family behind in Melb a few years before and lived in Kambalda first)- and found plenty to do that was sports-related. The town has an Olympic-sized pool plus clubs of all shapes and sizes for most sports you can think of. It's a great way to meet people as well.

Kalgoorlie people enjoy their horse-racing, too- a day at the races -or a night at the trots- is very enjoyable.

You might not enjoy the extreme heat, though- summer starts early and finishes late. It's something that you get used to.

Long weekends were often spent in Perth (6 hrs drive) or Esperance (4 hrs drive).

Where is your place of employment in Kalgoorlie? Do they offer accommodation?

It'll be what you make of it, flaps. Think positively about the experience, and you'll enjoy it. Get involved in everything you can- there's a strong drinking culture but you can choose to stay out of that. :)

And good luck!!

I lived there when I was about your age - (left my family behind in Melb a few years before and lived in Kambalda first)- and found plenty to do that was sports-related. The town has an Olympic-sized pool plus clubs of all shapes and sizes for most sports you can think of. It's a great way to meet people as well.

Kalgoorlie people enjoy their horse-racing, too- a day at the races -or a night at the trots- is very enjoyable.

You might not enjoy the extreme heat, though- summer starts early and finishes late. It's something that you get used to.

Long weekends were often spent in Perth (6 hrs drive) or Esperance (4 hrs drive).

Where is your place of employment in Kalgoorlie? Do they offer accommodation?

It'll be what you make of it, flaps. Think positively about the experience, and you'll enjoy it. Get involved in everything you can- there's a strong drinking culture but you can choose to stay out of that. :)

And good luck!!
I can't say much because I've had an interview, but should hear back in the next week or so I think. From what I've heard, people either love it or hate it. And I can't say that my heart is truly there at the moment to want to go there based on that doing a long-distance relationship if I go.

I do like to drink, but I'm selective of that. Depends on who it is I'm drinking with if you get me.

I had mixed feelings about kal - hot during the day freezing at night, great if you are sporty and drink inclined but night life is limited, shopping the same, it's a mans town. It's like anything though - what you put in is what you get out of it.

I had mixed feelings about kal - hot during the day freezing at night, great if you are sporty and drink inclined but night life is limited, shopping the same, it's a mans town. It's like anything though - what you put in is what you get out of it.
I think you're getting your seasons a bit mixed up, CP. Boiling hot during the day and stinking hot at night in summer, very pleasant during the day and freezing cold at night in winter. :)

I think you're getting your seasons a bit mixed up, CP. Boiling hot during the day and stinking hot at night in summer, very pleasant during the day and freezing cold at night in winter. :)

That's not how I remember it - hot during the day (very) but once the sun went down I found it got quite cold - never had a problem sleeping at night. I also hated the red dirt - hang the washing out, look up and incoming dust storm - the dirt was everywhere, drove me nuts.

Some parts of Kalgoorlie are a no go at night.
Pick one of the better suburbs otherwise you might run into problems.
Hampton Heights & Broadwood are the best suburbs going by my mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back