The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when the experts used to give their tips on various shows for the week and it used to be "this team did play in Perth last week I think they'll get over run and run out of legs" almost ever single time. What's happened to this because I haven't heard it in about 10 years

That's not hard. It's self evident.
That's okay. If I'm putting my opinions out there, I'm bound to ruffle feathers and post things people disagree with or find hypocritical. I can live with that. It's better than people like you who lurk in the shadows and contribute nothing to this board.

All you seem to do is bitch about Hawthorn and Eddie McGuire and troll the Hawk fans. Change the record.

Look at your last 20 posts on the main board:

1. The Perth travel myth
    That's not hard. It's self evident.
    Post by: skipper kelly, 6 minutes ago in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  2. The Perth travel myth
    It is. It is also a whine.
    Post by: skipper kelly, 14 minutes ago in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
    The Perth travel myth
  3. I would also like to see non-Victorian teams boycott the Friday parade.
    Post by: skipper kelly, 21 minutes ago in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  4. The Perth travel myth
    ah.. the sore bodies excuse. :thumbsu:
    Post by: skipper kelly, 29 minutes ago in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  5. Josh Gibson - Where will he rate?
    Plays the seagull role very well.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Today at 6:56 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  6. The Perth travel myth
    It sounds like supporters talking (whining) about a team getting an extra days break.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Today at 6:53 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  7. Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?
    It's easy to fix. All non victorian clubs playing away games against MCG tenants should be played at the MCG.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Today at 1:21 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  8. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    Boring response.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 5:47 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  9. Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?
    All should be played at the MCG.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:53 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  10. Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?
    Should be riveting viewing.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:18 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  11. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    It's not baseless.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:17 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  12. Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?
    Does Eddie do the fixture?
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:14 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  13. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    Why does it bother you that not everyone thinks it is exciting to watch? Some find the chip, chip, chip to be be boring football.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:09 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  14. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    Chip, chip, chip with uncontested marks is boring to some. Why is it ignorant for people to think it is boring?
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 4:01 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  15. Is it time for the Hawks to ditch gaming?
    That's how I read it.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 1:39 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  16. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    There's nothing ridiculous about someone saying the Hawks are boring. You just won your 3rd flag in a row. Why do Hawks care if others view it as...
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 1:26 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  17. Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.
    It must also be harder on the players to travel early from WA to attend a GF parade. It all adds up.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 1:24 PM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  18. Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?
    What's with the Hawthorn supporters worrying about whether opposition supporters find their team boring or not? Surely after 3 flags in a row they...
    Post by: skipper kelly, Tuesday at 11:51 AM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  19. Hawthorn supporters
    Very poor losers.
    Post by: skipper kelly, Monday at 1:44 AM in forum: AFL - The Australian Football League
  20. Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.
    I will email the club so they can pass it on to him.

Remember when the experts used to give their tips on various shows for the week and it used to be "this team did play in Perth last week I think they'll get over run and run out of legs" almost ever single time. What's happened to this because I haven't heard it in about 10 years
That was back in the day when post match recovery meant hitting the bottle

You're sounding a touch stalkish now.
Yeah right.

You're the guy who replies my posts. Not the other way around.

You're the guy who remembers s**t I posted a long time ago and calls me on it.

So who's being hypocritical now, stalker_kelly?

Stop replying to me! Let it go, FFS!! I don't hate your club or what they've achieved.
I just object to the AFL favouritism. Give us a level playing field. Same rules for every club.
We're getting there. I'm slowly mellowing out...

Glad you find it funny.

I have never said that we lost because of the umpires, as you theorise (and it is a theory because you have no proof to back it up).

There is a thread trashing the umpires on the North board, but as a general rule North people recognise that we were beaten by a better team on the day; unlike the ****silly people from WCE who a lot blame everything except their own failings.

The umpiring in the prelim was s**t, did it affect the final result; imho NO.

Smell the roses cupcake. Your team folded with barely a whimper. You own it, live with it.

From what I have noticed on this forum since I joined a couple of weeks ago, there's supporters of every team that blame anything and everything except their team for losses, including supporters from the team I support(West Coast).

The majority generally accept that if you're good, you win, if you aren't, you lose. Nothing complicated there.

You seem to understand this principle until you went full woo woo and said this ~ "unlike the ****silly people from WCE who a lot blame everything except their own failings."

Most of the WCE supporters acknowledge we sucked on GF day and were completely outplayed by a better team. No excuses needed other than we simply were not good enough. The end/

There's a reason why Pav, about 27 years after the Eagles came into the comp, was the first WA based player to 300 games.

David Neitz is Melbournes first and only 300 game player and we have been in the competition for over 100 years

Bullshit

Just because Hawthorn handled it very well doesn't mean travel is not a factor. West Coast had similar travel schedules in their flag years, didn't stop Vics complaining about travel to Perth. Now that Hawthorn have won a flag after having to travel it is all of a sudden not an issue.
Having said that, home ground advantage is a bigger hurdle to overcome as was proved by the totally different outcomes in the Hawks, Eagles finals this year.

There's a reason why Pav, about 27 years after the Eagles came into the comp, was the first WA based player to 300 games.
Yes there is. It's hard to do. Collingwood have had 2 in over 100 years and none this century.

The travel difficulties aren't a myth but they are exaggerated. Come finals though, the best team generally wins. The home team is generally the best team by design and in the GF the non Victorian teams have a good record.

Sydney last year, Eagles in '91, probably the most likely to have gone the other way if the Victorian side had been forced to travel. Eagles in '96 also finished fourth, had to play their semi-final in Melbourne against a lower ranked team and got beaten, could have been a chance to make the grand final if they hadn't been dudded.

I agree, the best team usually wins, and did so yesterday. Doesn't mean the MCG factor isn't a disadvantage.

Except the 91 Hawks travelled to Perth and defeated the Eagles in the major QF

...as for 2014, the Hawks and Swans both won 17 games...squared their home and away meetings and the Swans had a vastly easier draw (and we cant forget that the Hawks have gone 7-1 against the Swans since the 2012 GF)

I have no doubt Hawthorn would have won the 1991 and 2014 GFs home or away

...given Hawthorn went 9-3 against the top 8 (and the Eagles went 8-5) you can probably add 2015 to the flags won home and away as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like supporters talking (whining) about a team getting an extra days break.

Hi skipper kelly why havent your Swans given a yelp since the 2014 humilation

You know that since the Hawks were dudded unjustly in 2012 they have won b2b2b flags and have solidifed their position as one of the greatest teams of all

...while the other straight setted in the most public and humiliating of circumstances

Sort of makes a mockery of the whole Bloods Culture doesn't it?

Hi skipper kelly why havent your Swans given a yelp since the 2014 humilation

You know that since the Hawks were dudded unjustly in 2012 they have won b2b2b flags and have solidifed their position as one of the greatest teams of all

...while the other straight setted in the most public and humiliating of circumstances

Sort of makes a mockery of the whole Bloods Culture doesn't it?

another weird stalkero_O

From what I have noticed on this forum since I joined a couple of weeks ago, there's supporters of every team that blame anything and everything except their team for losses, including supporters from the team I support(West Coast).

The majority generally accept that if you're good, you win, if you aren't, you lose. Nothing complicated there.

You seem to understand this principle until you went full woo woo and said this ~ "unlike the ****silly people from WCE who a lot blame everything except their own failings."

Most of the WCE supporters acknowledge we sucked on GF day and were completely outplayed by a better team. No excuses needed other than we simply were not good enough. The end/

I hope all you Eagles fans on Big Footy recognise that Hawthorn fans are giving s**t to all the haters. We're not rubbing your noses in it.
All the crap about MCG home grounds and free agency is coming from folks who are jealous & bitter about Hawthorn's 3-peat

West Coast supporters have been really gracious in defeat and taken it pretty well.

The Perth travel myth is anything but.

What people seem to gloss over every time the issue is brought up is that the strength of the WA teams varies over time.

2001 - LOL we'll send a B team
2006 - Oh noes we have to go to Perth!
2008 - Pffft, what travel myth. We don't care about going to Perth.
2015 - Oh noes we've got WC and Freo over there!

Also Hawthorn are very, very good. This year they beat us at home, then we beat them in the QF, then they came over and beat Freo then beat us in the GF. We're talking about a side that has won 3 premierships in a row and hasn't been outside the top 4 since 2010. We're a team that hasn't made the finals since 2012, were not expected to get near the GF and 19/22 players had never played in a GF. There's a lot more to the 2015 GF and finals series than travel.

Would be very interesting to see the data over the last 15-20 years of teams returning from WA as opposed to SA, NSW, QLD and whether it actually does impact winning percentage.

Good/great teams will be able to cope better with travel

But it's not just about traveling to Perth, there are other factors involved:

- if it's a night game will you be traveling back that night?
- if you are flying back to Melbourne, is the team you are playing the next week also traveling or did they play in Melbourne that week previous (only really valid for Vic v Vic teams, or in rare cases a team traveling before a showdown/qclash etc.)
- do you get 7 or more days to recover after your trip? how many days do your opponents get?

You can't just blanket cover the whole idea of "traveling to and from Perth" as a factor, as it's greater than just that. All of those above factors can be applied to any travel scenario, it's just the added distance and time that compounds any of those above issues

i.e. a team based in Melbourne would probably sooner play Perth on a Friday and play in Melbourne the following Saturday, if their opponent had traveled to Sydney or Brisbane the previous Sunday, meaning it's a +2 day advantage for the team that travels most rather than the other way around, but like I said - better teams will generally cope better

Edit: also for WA based teams, playing on the Sunday away from WA, then having to rock up again on the following Saturday to play a team who played the previous Friday isn't all that advantageous and again, it's not the travel, but the combination of factors surrounding travel. It goes both ways

Last edited:
I agree it isn't as dramatic as many claim.
It works both ways it's not impossible to win over there nor is it impossible for them to win elsewhere.

I find it odd when people say both wc and freo should make the 8 because of all their home games, do people think they just have to rock up?

I don't think the travel is a huge factor. You'd think WA teams would be used to it. The home ground advantage is huge though. Hawks come here at the end of the season and beat us in a close one when we don't have our topline ruckmen. They come here for the QF and get belted. They belt us in a similar way in the GF at the MCG. As it stands, being an MCG tenant is a massive advantage for the finals. It'd be brilliant to finish lower on the ladder, be beaten by the team we play in the GF and still get a GF on the ground we play at every couple of weeks. Not a whinge, as we know what we're up for at the start of the season. If you look at the two finals played between the Eagles and Hawks, they followed pretty similar paths for the home team.

So every past and current player and coach in both WA teams are unanimous in saying that travelling has a negative effect on their body, but a random on the internet says they are full of it.

Ok, I believe the random.

Could there be another "reason" perth based players burn out so quickly ?

So every past and current player and coach in both WA teams are unanimous in saying that travelling has a negative effect on their body, but a random on the internet says they are full of it.

Ok, I believe the random.

I feel really good about that. Thank you.

In the past 15 years, 7 Grand Finals have been won by Interstate teams.

Victorian teams have literally no home ground advantage for the vast majority of their games over a year. Take Collingwood for example, how many games this year did we get to play interstate sides at the MCG, where we get this massive advantage if we manage to play finals against travelling teams?

1 game. Essendon? 0 games. Hawthorn? 1 game.

Just the first few teams i looked up. For the other 20+ games in the year, these Victorian teams get no home ground advantage, and as many have brought up, home ground advantage plays a massive role in the outcome of games.

Would I swap the Grand Final to Homebush if it meant Collingwood got its own home gound and a huge advantage in the regular season, which therefore gave us a much better chance at playing in the Grand Final? Absolutely.

The WA teams and their fans are just having a sook. You get an advantage throughout the whole season, all the finals games, except the Grand Final and the competition is suddenly out to get you
If you want to put it into context, 3 of those 7 were won against other interstate teams, and the other 4 were won by teams with salary concessions. Moot point.

You're right, victorian teams have far less home ground advantage when playing other vic sides, but you fail to recognize the opposite is true and they have far less away disadvantage against other vic teams, which completely nullifies that point as well. You would not swap the grand final to homebush, I'd bet my house on it. You wouldn't have a better chance of playing in the grand final with a proper home advantage, because it would mean you have a proper away disadvantage to go with it, you can't just pick and choose things to suit your argument.

The difference with the advantage during all the home finals games is that the WA teams earnt those advantages by finishing 1st and 2nd and winning the QF's, are you really that stupid?

Yes there is. It's hard to do. Collingwood have had 2 in over 100 years and none this century.

The travel difficulties aren't a myth but they are exaggerated. Come finals though, the best team generally wins. The home team is generally the best team by design and in the GF the non Victorian teams have a good record.
I reckon one of its main disadvantages is in recruiting players, I'm convinced flying the length of the country every fortnight is the number 1 reason in putting a lot of players off coming over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back