Opinion The won't/will make it thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As for Stringer, I think he might be in trouble. I like his efforts and his skill set but seeing the shots and vids of training so far he does not look he put a lot of time into the gym compared to those around him. Given he plays and inside/outside Im not sure his slight frame will make it.
Go Catters

True Daz. I think you hit the nail on the head there.
I'm usually pretty conservative and try not to lay criticism on our players too much but at training the other day I was a little concerned that he had not bulked up much and still looked a little too lean. I think over pre-season that's what he needed to work on as he tended to get thrown off his opponents or beaten in the contest last year.
I'm interested to see how he goes, and as someone said a few posts back I think this is his year to make or break.

True Daz. I think you hit the nail on the head there.
I'm usually pretty conservative and try not to lay criticism on our players too much but at training the other day I was a little concerned that he had not bulked up much and still looked a little too lean. I think over pre-season that's what he needed to work on as he tended to get thrown off his opponents or beaten in the contest last year.
I'm interested to see how he goes, and as someone said a few posts back I think this is his year to make or break.

I like the way he plays and feel he could add to our team for sure - and I backed him after his incident too. Just expected to see more after an injury free pre season.

That said, i'll hold my judgement until the bullets start flying in anger once the games get going…

GO Catters

196cm / 92kgs doesn't exactly scream kick sand in my face at the beach,Mitches problems are above the shoulders IMO,could be a few demons relating back to the broken leg,shoulder injuries who knows but does appear to avoid the contested stuff at the moment.And I'm being generous this morning.

At the moment I don't think many players are doing anything to be honest. I'd suggest we might reluctantly have to wait for the pre-season until the knives are brought out properly.

Should be seeing something if not a lot of him this year!

I sure hope so, especially since Chappy's gone and Motlop will be on the sidelines for the first few weeks. Will be a perfect time for him and Burbury to stake a claim.

Who said he was a genius? Talk about a strawman argument. What some have argued is that he's a promising centre square player who deserves opportunities. Some also think with Corey now retired he's the logical replacement.

Love the comparison to Varcoe and Smedts, or Motlop and Blicavs. How many clearances per game do they get just as a matter of interest? Better than Horlin-Smith? Must be, since they've had games pumped into them. (The answers are 0.3, 1.1, 0.7 and 2.0 respectively for those interested. Horlin-Smith's is 2.6).
Love your passion and enthusiasm partridge

Talking to a mate last night, and I think something that has seriously hurt GHS is just how one dimensional he is. Players like Mitch Duncan, Allen Christensen, Steve Motlop, Daniel Menzel, Taylor Hunt and, hopefully, Cam Guthrie, were all given time at AFL level in half forward and half back positions, GHS just cannot do that. He is a pure midfielder, and the last time we had a player debut in our midfield was in 2007 with Joel Selwood, since then every other player has been given early games up forward or down back. There isn't another position on the ground GHS can play, he can tag in the midfield, that's his positional flexibility, and I definitely think it has hurt his development, as Scotty seriously values versatility in his players. Whether or not it hurts him long term is another matter, but I believe it's really held him back from taking a senior position and holding onto it.

Talking to a mate last night, and I think something that has seriously hurt GHS is just how one dimensional he is. Players like Mitch Duncan, Allen Christensen, Steve Motlop, Daniel Menzel, Taylor Hunt and, hopefully, Cam Guthrie, were all given time at AFL level in half forward and half back positions, GHS just cannot do that. He is a pure midfielder, and the last time we had a player debut in our midfield was in 2007 with Joel Selwood, since then every other player has been given early games up forward or down back. There isn't another position on the ground GHS can play, he can tag in the midfield, that's his positional flexibility, and I definitely think it has hurt his development, as Scotty seriously values versatility in his players. Whether or not it hurts him long term is another matter, but I believe it's really held him back from taking a senior position and holding onto it.

Think you might be overanalysing here. The only thing that held him back from a senior game last year was Joel Corey still being around. 23 doesn't go into 22. He got coaches' votes against Melbourne too so it can't be argued that they don't value his contributions.

Think you might be overanalysing here. The only thing that held him back from a senior game last year was Joel Corey still being around. 23 doesn't go into 22. He got coaches' votes against Melbourne too so it can't be argued that they don't value his contributions.
Yeah, if Corey had retired at the end of 2012 he would have played almost every game. But they've been able to blood other mids around the ground, whereas GHS isn't capable of doing that and our starting mids were too good to push out of the side.

Yeah, if Corey had retired at the end of 2012 he would have played almost every game. But they've been able to blood other mids around the ground, whereas GHS isn't capable of doing that and our starting mids were too good to push out of the side.

Given the end of season form, I'd say the coaches were unwilling to make changes. But the same net effect regardless.

I think once a senior player loses a bit of pace you can still play him, just modify his role a little. But once they lose their penetration in their kicking it's time to say farewell. I remember in his prime josh hunt being close to the best long penetrating kick out of defence, could hit someone lace out like a bullet on the chest from 60m away. I felt the last couple of years he lost a yard or two in his legs compared to what he was, same with Joel Corey

Corey was pretty solid in the finals, was better than Kelly, Bartel, Christensen and Duncan. His disposal use was not as good as them but his work-rate and defensive game was terrific.

It varied game by game. Kelly was wonderful against Port but horrible against Hawthorn. Corey's workrate was never, and to me could never be questioned. It was just the body could no longer do what he wanted it to.

I know the criteria is 'play 100 games at any club after being drafted by Geelong', but I thought this might be interesting to look back on now...

Brown - Yes... but will be testing the definition of 'making it'.
Schroder - Yes
GHS - Yes
Stringer - No
Bourke - 50/50
Hunt - Yes
Burbury - No
Hamling - 50/50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No pressure on Horlin-Smith then. :)
At the start of the season I looked at Hyphen, Stringer and Schroder and asked myself which of the three would break into our best 22 this year - Hyphen has done so while the other two have been delisted. I'd say he's a tentative yes at this stage.

Brown - No, 2014 last yr for cats then traded for a pick in the 40s.
Schroder - No, will be a depth player. Probably delisted in 2014 and rookied somewhere.
GHS - No, really is 50/50 IMO, don't think he has enough at afl level.
Stringer - No
Hunt - Yes but not more than 150, will be a depth player to be overtaken by next generation.
Simpson - Yes, but will struggle to play more than 120 due to body
Burbury - No
Hamling - No, too slight, is brown all over again.
:thumbsu:

Dont forget Geelong used to use the VFL team purely for development.
And then they changed attitude and decided they wanted to start winning.
Depends a lot on where the club is at.
We were starved of success for decades, like Bulldogs now, and any GF win is seen as worth going for, and player development etc., but more recently, as Hawks proved this year, the team uses the VFL team purely as it sees fit wrt to the senior team.

Depends a lot on where the club is at.
We were starved of success for decades, like Bulldogs now, and any GF win is seen as worth going for, and player development etc., but more recently, as Hawks proved this year, the team uses the VFL team purely as it sees fit wrt to the senior team.
Whoa. Thats an older post.

Oh. And just realised what thread I was in.

Early bump Nic!
Come back in 4. or 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back