Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on your description I thought that was the shirt you were talking about - I pre-ordered one at a similar time, and the tracking info from Evri wasn’t great & it was delayed, but thankfully no one at the warehouse kept it

Good luck with things go smoother second time around as it’s a nice shirt

I’m tempted to order one of the bucket hats they’re now advertising but not sure I can justify £20 postage on a £15 hat

Based on your description I thought that was the shirt you were talking about - I pre-ordered one at a similar time, and the tracking info from Evri wasn’t great & it was delayed, but thankfully no one at the warehouse kept it

Good luck with things go smoother second time around as it’s a nice shirt

I’m tempted to order one of the bucket hats they’re now advertising but not sure I can justify £20 postage on a £15 hat
There's a book on Icelandic cricket called From Lords to the Fjords, I'm tempted to get a copy.

Mardi Gras uninviting the NSW police from participating in the parade because of one rogue cop. How ******* stupid.

I think the parade is a bit of an anachronism these days anyway.

Mardi Gras uninviting the NSW police from participating in the parade because of one rogue cop. How ******* stupid.

1. Police have no place at Pride. Pride is literally a response to police mistreatment of our community.
2. They didn't have a choice, Police marching in Mardi Gras would've created a potentially dangerous, uncontrollable flashpoint.

I may order one myself!!

1. Police have no place at Pride. Pride is literally a response to police mistreatment of our community.
2. They didn't have a choice, Police marching in Mardi Gras would've created a potentially dangerous, uncontrollable flashpoint.
The current situation hasn't helped but far more telling was NSWPol response to the inquiry into historic gay hate crimes. It doesn't suggest they're really interested in acknowledging what happened in the past and without that we can't expect much change.

Whether and why the police were originally invited is a different argument. To uninvite them based on the actions of one cop, who happens to be gay himself, just comes across as petty and doesn't do us any favours in the eyes of the wider community.

Whether and why the police were originally invited is a different argument. To uninvite them based on the actions of one cop, who happens to be gay himself, just comes across as petty and doesn't do us any favours in the eyes of the wider community.

It sounds like a second cop helped him dispose of the bodies. It sounds like higher up cops are trying to protect that accessory.

Theres also the guns for hire aspect.

There's a book on Icelandic cricket called From Lords to the Fjords, I'm tempted to get a copy.

Same

I love their Twitter account - it's so much fun

It's not one event rask its just the latest example of the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem being?
That cops have a long history of violence against queer people?

That they use pride as pink washing?

That pride was a protest in part against cops so what the * are they doing marching at it if right after they turn around and go back to doing the things that are being marched against?

I think that’s just the excuse after Thorpe’s protest last year and the group getting physical with VicPol in Melbourne last month.

But some groups just like to have an adversary and someone to rally against so to have them marching side by side still triggers some who view them as the enemy and not interested in making a more harmonious relationship.

Texting on my iphone. My.sentences.always.end.up.like.this.

As there anyway around that? Like downloading a new keyboard or something?
You've got turn the 'Christopher Walken' setting off

But some groups just like to have an adversary and someone to rally against so to have them marching side by side still triggers some who view them as the enemy and not interested in making a more harmonious relationship.

Why is it always on the minority group to find harmony?

I'm sure Sydney's queer community would love a better relationship with police, but it starts with acknowledgement of their historical treatment of queer people and an apology.

We're not talking about one cop. We're talking about NSW Police whose systemic unequal treatment of LGBTQIA+ people was revealed (again) just this year with another inquiry, who are being led by a commissioner turning a literal blind eye to bad cops.

I don't care whether the wider community views me as petty - at Mardi Gras (or at Midsumma) I care about my community feeling safe, feeling loved and feeling embraced. Given the historical (and in many cases ongoing) treatment of LGBTQIA+ people by police in NSW and Victoria, people are entitled to feel unsafe, and people are entitled to not want them there for whatever reason.

The last week hasn't changed my mind on no pigs at pride, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. The only relevance of the last week, in my opinion, is that I think it would've created an extraordinarily volatile situation had police marched in uniform.

Why is it always on the minority group to find harmony?

I'm sure Sydney's queer community would love a better relationship with police, but it starts with acknowledgement of their historical treatment of queer people and an apology.
Apologies are not always accepted. What then?

We're not talking about one cop. We're talking about NSW Police whose systemic unequal treatment of LGBTQIA+ people was revealed (again) just this year with another inquiry, who are being led by a commissioner turning a literal blind eye to bad cops.

I don't care whether the wider community views me as petty - at Mardi Gras (or at Midsumma) I care about my community feeling safe, feeling loved and feeling embraced. Given the historical (and in many cases ongoing) treatment of LGBTQIA+ people by police in NSW and Victoria, people are entitled to feel unsafe, and people are entitled to not want them there for whatever reason.

The last week hasn't changed my mind on no pigs at pride, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. The only relevance of the last week, in my opinion, is that I think it would've created an extraordinarily volatile situation had police marched in uniform.
I'm not sure how having the police offside with the community would make you feel any safer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back