Beauty & Style Things where cheap isnt an option?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft its a total myth that you have to get polarised glasses to give any UV protection.

Canvas sneakers. I think I've had my Vans for about 3 years and they've copped an absolute beating (skating, wearing out on the town and getting drinks spilled all over them, Uni/general stuff), yet they're still going strong.

Wearing cheap sunglasses increases the eyes exposure to UV radiation. The pupils dilate because the visible light is dimmed, if the glasses don't block UV more of it passes through the eye. Not an expert though.

this

sounds like a lot of people arent buying polorized sunglasses which is basically the entire purpose for sunnies

cheap ones arent polorized and offer really no protection to your eyes

Not totally true.

ALL sunglasses properly/legally imported into Australia meet the Australian Standard which is quite robust.

Sunglasses have categories which signify the VLT (visible light transmission). They dont have to be polarised to have low VLT. I have sunglasses for mountaineering that are 5% VLT and are so dark you cant use them for driving. Not polarised as it makes it hard to tell the difference between ice and snow but they are protective enough for the highest glare environment in the natural world on a glacier.

Most things (yes I'm a snob), so it's easier for me to mention some exceptions ie examples where cheap IS an option for me
-Underwear/socks/pyjamas
-Stationary- I'm still picky/a nerd when it comes to assessments/exams but I use/lose pens too much as part of my job
-Medication (generic brands)
-Some budget airlines- Air Asia (international) or Jetstar (domestic) but only if the difference is significant (a few hundred dollars) and it's a short (<5h) flight
-Books and especially textbooks- I tend to only read most once/a few times so happy with paperback or even "international editions" (if not downloaded)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-Underwear/socks/pyjamas

I've always forked out a bit extra for underwear. Not only does it look nicer the quality is much better and they last for a lot longer. Socks are disposable though, I buy seven pairs twice a year and it does the job nicely.

I'm fine with using disposable razors but I guess it depends on your skin. A good soap is necessary no matter what though.
Great shaving soaps are excellent, though generally, far too expensive. The Body Shop had the best I've ever used. It was ridiculously exe, but ultimately worth it.

I've always forked out a bit extra for underwear. Not only does it look nicer the quality is much better and they last for a lot longer. Socks are disposable though, I buy seven pairs twice a year and it does the job nicely.
If the elastic around the hips of undies collapses, they are useless. Never, ever, put them in a dryer. I'm still looking for that queer bastard who breaks into my house and steals one sock of a pair, and replaces it with a wire hanger.

One should never buy inferior cling wrap or aluminium foil. Butter doesn't matter much. It is either butter, or it's not. Milk is much the same. Ice cream should never be scrimped on.

Not totally true.

ALL sunglasses properly/legally imported into Australia meet the Australian Standard which is quite robust.

Sunglasses have categories which signify the VLT (visible light transmission). They dont have to be polarised to have low VLT. I have sunglasses for mountaineering that are 5% VLT and are so dark you cant use them for driving. Not polarised as it makes it hard to tell the difference between ice and snow but they are protective enough for the highest glare environment in the natural world on a glacier.
I never buy sunglasses from other than an optometrist.

Kmart is the place to go for socks. A couple of packets of plain white sports socks, and a couple of packets of black business socks every few months, and throw them out when you get new ones, they're always good.

Kmart is the place to go for socks. A couple of packets of plain white sports socks, and a couple of packets of black business socks every few months, and throw them out when you get new ones, they're always good.

A market like South Melbourne or Queen Vic (for those in Melbourne) is even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back