News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

It is because it is the most accessable. 90% can use alcohol well but those 10% who cant are a big part of society. Ice is by far the current biggest problem in society imo. Add that to steroids.

Drugs, especially ICE mixed with steroids, are my biggest worry with society. I love a drink but i fear going out out getting a bit pissed these days. I dont fight and i walk away from any trouble but i worry

Ice is real bad news, I'm concerned about it becoming a bigger issue in society

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as we spin it, the coke defence is the worst.
It's not really a defense at all. More of an explanation of how this stuff was detected in their bodies. They will be in the s**t regardless and cop their whack. If it was me, I would rather go down with people thinking I was a stupid bastard for using coke which was stepped on rather than someone who deliberately set out to use the stuff as a performance enhancer.

And to be honest, I think a scenario like this is probably one of the more plausible explanations. I find it very hard to believe that these 2 guys used a PED deliberately. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but these two just seem to be good, honest citizens. Not ratbags at all.

Ice is real bad news, I'm concerned about it becoming a bigger issue in society

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you also know steroid abuse has increased 600% in the last 5 years. The blokes who do roids are the blokes who dont drink due to body shape. Hence they do ice.

No offence intended to roids or ice users.

Not wanting to sound like an old do gooder or anything, but worrying just how much "knowledge" there is on here regarding drugs. It's probably my biggest fear for my 2 young kids growing up and to hear what it seems like is pretty widespread in the community doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I respect others life choices but when it affects mine or my kids/family and friends I have issues.
Fair enough too. What I will say is this; Don't be naive and think that drugs aren't a wide spread problem in the community. They are. Educate rather than forbid and you're likely to get a better outcome. That's what I'll be doing with my kids anyway.

And without trying to sound patronising, a friend once told me "If you fail to ask them about the little things they won't tell you about the big things".

It's not really a defense at all. More of an explanation of how this stuff was detected in their bodies. They will be in the s**t regardless and cop their whack. If it was me, I would rather go down with people thinking I was a stupid bastard for using coke which was stepped on rather than someone who deliberately set out to use the stuff as a performance enhancer.

And to be honest, I think a scenario like this is probably one of the more plausible explanations. I find it very hard to believe that these 2 guys used a PED deliberately. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but these two just seem to be good, honest citizens. Not ratbags at all.

I get what you're saying and it's valid but when young Libba was done for illicit drugs I threw away the book on drug users. I would never have imagined he could be involved in that sort of behaviour.

It's not great but rugs are a pretty big part of most 16-30 year old people these days (probably even outside that age bracket too in both directions) whether it be using themselves, having a friend who is a user, a friend who is a dealer or work/live in an environment where they are exposed to them without choice.

I've working in the hospitality industry, predominantly nightclubs, for over 10 years in Melbourne, it's something i've to know about them from friends and co workers using, from customers using and even from personal use. Knowing what you are putting into your body was something that was drummed into me at a young age, from a fitness perspective in sports via a diet and for safety reasons by older friends/co workers in recreational drugs.

As a professional sportsperson these guys are told that even more explicitly than i was, have more education, more access to legal/illegal drugs and the cash to get a hold of whatever they want. Pretty hard to play dumb.

I honestly hope the B sample comes through negative and they're free to play, long shot and i think they'll get banned but it just doesn't make any sense for them to take it in a PED manner...It's going to be one of those things that we'll have to endure months of here say and gossip before all the confidentiality clauses lapse and we hear it straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not wanting to sound like an old do gooder or anything, but worrying just how much "knowledge" there is on here regarding drugs. It's probably my biggest fear for my 2 young kids growing up and to hear what it seems like is pretty widespread in the community doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I respect others life choices but when it affects mine or my kids/family and friends I have issues.

Just wanted to say that some people with "knowledge" may have more to do with their field of work rather than any actual use/activity themselves.

Surprised no one mentioned that JT has leaned out significantly this preseason...
Why would he do that is beyond me.

It's sad but both boys are gonski.

Hey guys for what its worth i am actually of the opinion that your 2 players did not intentionally take clenbuterol. It just doesnt make sense to me for them to use it considering the risks associated and the nature of our game. The fact that both of them have returned positive samples only confirms my suspicions that they have eaten or drank something together at the same time that has been contaminated. As bizarre as it sounds it might have been better if more of your players returned positive samples becuase then it would be easier to pinpoint where they may have been contaminated.

I seriously wonder how many innocent athetes have been banned over the years due to ridiculously unlucky circumstances over which they had no control, yet WADA/ASADA always spiel about "its the athletes responsibility what goes into their body". Contamination can and does happen no matter how vigilant the consumer is to do everything right. IMO The Hepatitis cases from frozen berries are a similar example.

Also its odd to me that so many of the athletes who return positive samples for Clenbuterol more than any other drug always seem so adamant to declare that they are innocent.
Katrin Krabbe
Jessica Hardy
Alberto Contador
Michael Rogers

After belgian cyclist Jonathon Breyne returned a positive sample of clenbuterol he attempted suicide

The news was like my world collapsing on me,” he went on. “What have I done to deserve this? Nothing. Absoloutely nothing. I’ve never taken anything. But how can I prove that with what’s happened in China?”

So i really feel for Pies supporters and especially the two players in question. I would rather see 100 athletes dope and get away with it then to see 2 players get every thing that they have worked for in life taken away so unfairly. All that said if they come out in 2 or 3 weeks and admit that they took it intentionally, I would hope they get significant bans for making me look like an optimistic fool.

Surprised no one mentioned that JT has leaned out significantly this preseason...
Why would he do that is beyond me.

It's sad but both boys are gonski.
My opinion is the AFL may reduce the interchange.....again. So all our players are trying to get lean and fit.

Just a random theory

Hey guys for what its worth i am actually of the opinion that your 2 players did not intentionally take clenbuterol. It just doesnt make sense to me for them to use it considering the risks associated and the nature of our game. The fact that both of them have returned positive samples only confirms my suspicions that they have eaten or drank something together at the same time that has been contaminated. As bizarre as it sounds it might have been better if more of your players returned positive samples becuase then it would be easier to pinpoint where they may have been contaminated.

I seriously wonder how many innocent athetes have been banned over the years due to ridiculously unlucky circumstances over which they had no control, yet WADA/ASADA always spiel about "its the athletes responsibility what goes into their body". Contamination can and does happen no matter how vigilant the consumer is to do everything right. IMO The Hepatitis cases from frozen berries are a similar example.

Also its odd to me that so many of the athletes who return positive samples for Clenbuterol more than any other drug always seem so adamant to declare that they are innocent.
Katrin Krabbe
Jessica Hardy
Alberto Contador
Michael Rogers

After belgian cyclist Jonathon Breyne returned a positive sample of clenbuterol he attempted suicide

The news was like my world collapsing on me,” he went on. “What have I done to deserve this? Nothing. Absoloutely nothing. I’ve never taken anything. But how can I prove that with what’s happened in China?”

So i really feel for Pies supporters and especially the two players in question. I would rather see 100 athletes dope and get away with it then to see 2 players get every thing that they have worked for in life taken away so unfairly. All that said if they come out in 2 or 3 weeks and admit that they took it intentionally, I would hope they get significant bans for making me look like an optimistic fool.
Do the crime, do the time.

These players know the rules.

I want to defend them but i cant. HOWEVER, innocent until proven guily.

I admit I may have jumped the gun ever so slightly earlier yesterday due to the initial shock in discovering that two of our own players have been tested positive for performance enhancing substances but of course they still have another test that will need to be conducted and determined by April 14. I'd assume it's just mere formality so the likelihood of them testing positive again would most likely be quite high one would suspect.

However I'm not going to shy away from the fact that drugs in sport is absolutely disgraceful and needs to be frowned upon and dealt with swiftly when anyone is confronted with such a situation. That's why I was quite pleased to see Gary Pert and Neil Balme on the forefront trying to demonstrate that they will 100% support the process and investigation that will be undertaken by ASADA, and the boys will be given a chance to explain their side of the story but there was no hint of us shirking responsibility and I think if the boys are found to be guilty of testing positive for a banned substance and assuming they've deliberately set out to do this I don't think the club would have any hesitation to sack them if it came to that. Even if it's unintentional I think the club would make a strong stand on this one way or another.

Now apparently both Keefe and Thomas through their independent legal representation are trying to ascertain whether a 'toxic' meat that they ate in New Zealand may be the cause of the first testing sample being tested positive for the two players. The boys seem insistent and adamant that they can't explain this revelation so it's going to be quite a drawn out process especially if this investigation is New Zealand is undertaken to ascertain whether the meat contains a substance that is prohibited under the WADA code. If nothing is established here I think they're in massive trouble in terms of their future playing careers.

It's quite devastating to hear such stories come out like the way they did yesterday but we shouldn't be afraid to make stand on this issue and we need to demonstrate that we are cooperative with the AFL and ASADA unlike a certain other club out there who will face the day of reckoning today. For a minute there I thought the timing to this was quite convenient and planned considering what today confronts for Essendon and the AFL.

It is because it is the most accessable. 90% can use alcohol well but those 10% who cant are a big part of society. Ice is by far the current biggest problem in society imo. Add that to steroids.

Yeah sorry mate, I would seriously disagree.

As an absolute number - alcohol is by far the most detrimental drug in our society. (moreso than nicotine) And the belief that there are people who can use alcohol safely and those that can't is not really accurate - or what decades of studies have shown. (unless you are suggesting that 90% of people who drink don't go over the safe guidelines... which is just not true).
This is something the majority of this country doesn't ever seem to understand. It's like speeding in a car... yes most of us speed at times, it doesn't make it any safer, or any less a cause of death and injury.

However, on a per-case basis, yes amphetamines are worse - and they deserve the attention they are getting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back