News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a point of discussion elsewhere in the 'bad boys' thread which may get a bump in the next little while but whatever your view about illicit drugs they are illegal. Short of a broader debate about decriminalisation, illicit drug taking in the context of illegality creates all sorts of problems re secrecy.

Also, if they are taking this stuff on the eve of the season they need to be axed.

Who cares? Seriously, people drink every weekend. That's a drug. So what? The only problem is if it's a performance enhancing drug. If it's performance reducing, well, let them do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
Your supidity is what's wrong with world today. I feel sick and sorry for your parents.

Drugs hurt more people than child pr0n.

Would people be so forgiving if they were found to be downloading a little bit of it for personal use?

Don't think so.

Illegal drugs have no place at a professional football club especially one rumoured to already have a drug problem in recent years.

As I said earlier in the thread, one of the warnings kids get about taking drugs is that you dont know what you are getting. The chemists arent exactly at the upper end of the moral spectrum.

Accidentally getting a PED in their coke gives them a four year ban. Lots of kids have ended up with much worse s**t in their drugs they have been imbibing on and have died on the spot. I hope these boys know how lucky they are. They wont feel it now but if it shakes them and some teammates into getting clean then that can only be a good thing.

(On the other hand, nobody seems to have learned from John McCarthys death or from Ben Cousins or Daniel Kerrs lives spiralling out of control, so why would they care this time)
Great post, especially the last paragraph.

Who cares? Seriously, people drink every weekend. That's a drug. So what? The only problem is if it's a performance enhancing drug. If it's performance reducing, well, let them do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
And this is the reason kids see nothing wrong with it when adults make these statements.

http://sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/12/31/heres-why-youre-an-arsehole-if-you-do-cocaine-tonight

American article, but it applies to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Coke destroys lives, even if it seems like you're not hurting anyone. Merely purchasing the stuff and fueling demand for it costs lives.

I have to say that despite the IQ level of footy players, I find it hard to believe given 3 years of super-saturation of the message that anyone would take a PED unless they were kicked in the head by a mule. I think it must surely have come in some other way but who knows at this point what the vehicle was.
I reckon Clokey would kick like a mule.
Perhaps they had a training drill, competing one on one in NZ, and Clokey kicked them both.
The bottom line is, they probably took some substance knowingly, and only time will prove if they are a little bit stupid, or complete morons. I hope there is some innocent explanation, but I don't expect to hear one any time soon.

If it is true this was from dodgy coke then it is a massive wake up call.

Let's just say that the boys get back from a hard preseason training camp and want to let their hair down and pick up a gram.
They would know it's a risk but that the policy states that even if guilty they only get a warning. Then they are banned for four years, tainted as cheats and literally lose their means of income.

If the players hav got nothing to hide, take a lie detector test. If they want the clubs backing and support and are truly innocent they should jump at the chance instead of hiding behind a technicality (hird). And their lawyers should also encourage it too if they believe in their clients.

If guilty, or not willing to take the test, CYA.

If innocent, back them to the hilt.

Let's just say that the boys get back from a hard preseason training camp and want to let their hair down and pick up a gram.
They would know it's a risk but that the policy states that even if guilty they only get a warning. Then they are banned for four years, tainted as cheats and literally lose their means of income.
No sympathy for idiots. A shame the club is dragged into this mess.

Really enjoyed see the humble pie.. however this news saddens me.. I never wanted to believe that we would have people stupid enough to attempt it. Hoping it's all just a big farce..

Anyone taken Clen..... I know a bit about it :oops: you can pick it up from any pharmacy in patong

as a Bronchodilator it makes running so much easier,

I wouldn't be surprised if they just took it when they were in NZ to make all the running up those mountains easier, I'm not buying this cocaine s**t

If the Charlie theory is true i actually feel sorry for these boys no end, deliberate doping on the other hand, well in my book they can get lost never to be seen again.
It's quite funny to me that this see no evil, hear no evil attitude from some is being applied to the two boys.
It's common knowledge that a lot of players get on the coke, including some that have been moved on over the years.
Some of your favourite actors-coke heads. Favourite footballers- cokeheads, A leading jockey who is lauded the country over-MAJOR COKE HEAD!

Wayne Carey- still referred to as KING by the same media that tut tut and pour scorn on the smallest player indiscretions, Ricky Nixon gets his head back in the door when he should be in jail or a nut house etc etc the list goes on.

Hypothetically,doing it now, with the season about to start brings a different attitude than if Keefe and Thomas were standing up at the end of the year holding the premiership cup and then exposed as indulging in coke, would we give as much of a s**t? i bet 90% here would have a far more lenient stance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the boys took this inadvertently while using Coke, they need to come clean NOW, tell the club and accept the consequence of being sacked immediately.

If they drag this s**t on for their own selfish motives, then I hope they rot in hell.

Anyone taken Clen..... I know a bit about it :oops: you can pick it up from any pharmacy in patong

as a Bronchodilator it makes running so much easier,

I wouldn't be surprised if they just took it when they were in NZ to make all the running up those mountains easier, I'm not buying this cocaine s**t

You can pick up a lot of things in Patong, most require soothing cream and plenty of ice.;)

I can't believe so many people are experts in all these things. Firstly how can the beef industry bosses say that there is no way that there is this drug in NZ Beef. How can this person assure that every piece of beef served, is bought in the usual way? There is dodgy operators all over the place. A lot of people were shocked to hear of the fillers butchers put into their meats to make them darker red, and stick together like one piece, when in fact it wasn't prior to the treatment.

The drug Thomas and Keeffe were found with helps meat in the way that reduces fat throughout the meat cut. Restaurants could be guilty of buying lower quality cuts, and passing it off as higher cuts because it is not marbled.

All these investigations are stupid. They announce the claim over the media, so that if a restaurant that these two players went to, were doing the wrong thing, they have plenty of opportunity to hide it now. They should of searched for others who ate at the restaurant at the same time, and test them. They have nothing to hide, they don't play top line sports. If we got a positive test from them, that could well clear our boys.

But NOOOOOO, lets cut off all those chances to prove them innocent, by telling the world, and let time go by so we can't catch the Restaurant or test others. GREAT. Now it is their word against the world.

But some on here think it is all far fetched, clutching at straws, yada yada yada, no one on here knows jack.

I stand by these two players, my instant thought is that these boys are not the type, and the body language the club describes, is one of genuine shock.

I can't believe so many people are experts in all these things. Firstly how can the beef industry bosses say that there is no way that there is this drug in NZ Beef. How can this person assure that every piece of beef served, is bought in the usual way? There is dodgy operators all over the place. A lot of people were shocked to hear of the fillers butchers put into their meats to make them darker red, and stick together like one piece, when in fact it wasn't prior to the treatment.

The drug Thomas and Keeffe were found with helps meat in the way that reduces fat throughout the meat cut. Restaurants could be guilty of buying lower quality cuts, and passing it off as higher cuts because it is not marbled.

All these investigations are stupid. They announce the claim over the media, so that if a restaurant that these two players went to, were doing the wrong thing, they have plenty of opportunity to hide it now. They should of searched for others who ate at the restaurant at the same time, and test them. They have nothing to hide, they don't play top line sports. If we got a positive test from them, that could well clear our boys.

But NOOOOOO, lets cut off all those chances to prove them innocent, by telling the world, and let time go by so we can't catch the Restaurant or test others. GREAT. Now it is their word against the world.

But some on here think it is all far fetched, clutching at straws, yada yada yada, no one on here knows jack.

I stand by these two players, my instant thought is that these boys are not the type, and the body language the club describes, is one of genuine shock.

I think your the one clutching at straws. You think They should have tried to drug test non athletes who ate at the same restaurant? How the hell would they find them and why would people agree to that.

This is true. The whole mugging thing makes sense now if he was on the wrong side of town buying drugs. I did say this and got howled down for the thought of it earlier in the year when it happened!

I think your the one clutching at straws. You think They should have tried to drug test non athletes who ate at the same restaurant? How the hell would they find them and why would people agree to that.

Check the reservation list and make some calls, and why? As Ted DiBiase used to say, everybody has a price.
Just saying.

Lots of kids have ended up with much worse s**t in their drugs they have been imbibing on and have died on the spot. I hope these boys know how lucky they are. They wont feel it now but if it shakes them and some teammates into getting clean then that can only be a good thing.

(On the other hand, nobody seems to have learned from John McCarthys death or from Ben Cousins or Daniel Kerrs lives spiralling out of control, so why would they care this time)
Actually what you suggest is probably one of the more persuasive arguments advanced for drug legalisation. Drugs manufactured by legal manufacturers will not contain the impurities you claim kill so many drug users. I think that you will also find that cocaine, like ecstasy, is not a drug that causes numerous deaths among users. Heroine is undoubtedly the biggest killer, but largely because of its potential to kill in larger doses. In fact, leaving aside heroine, in one way or another, you will probably find that alcohol ultimately kills more people than drugs. Cigarettes are the biggest killer.

It is one thing to condemn highly paid footballers for using illegal and steroid based drugs, but can we please stick to the known facts and the case in hand. Once people begin discussing the broader topic of illegal drugs, all sorts of emotive and ill-informed claims are made which simply divert the correct course of the debate. All of a sudden people are seizing a bit of unconfirmed rumour, accepting it as truth, then jumping on their favourite anti-drug high horse and making claims about issues about which the majority really don't have a lot of genuine knowledge.

Even assuming there is any substance to the story that the 2 players took cocaine, where is there any proof that this banned drug was one of the impurities? Why would Channel 7 be aware of such cocaine use but there has been no mention from any other source?

I am as angry as anyone else at Keeffe and Thomas, but the facts that seem to be in the public domain do not, as yet, support the broader assumptions being made by several posters in this thread. Stick with the facts and remove your prejudices and emotions from this discussion.

Last edited:
A mate of mine who was on an AFL list a couple years ago said that he was shocked with the number of players that do cocaine on a regular basis.
This is going back to maybe 2012/13. Wouldn't have changed too much in such a small time.

A mate of mine who was on an AFL list a couple years ago said that he was shocked with the number of players that do cocaine on a regular basis.
This is going back to maybe 2012/13. Wouldn't have changed too much in such a small time.

That would not surprise me at all IF there are a lot of players doing Cocaine and other Party Drugs

Absolutely true. I personally can't stand it but that's their lives and the repercussions will inevitably come.

Definitely big with the younger half of AFL Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back