thorne89's Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We are well stocked in the undersized KPD department. Hawks need midfielders/utilities. Would be happy with any of Kade, Freeman, Dumont, Salem. Robertson looks the likely type of pick.

I think Sheed's speed is a real non-issue for mine. He has great endurance, can find the footy and is a nice kick. Last year's draft doesn't seem to be blessed with pace either. Guys like Macrae and Menzel may look agile and nimble, but they're not actually that fast. Vlastuin is another guy who is not blessed with pace. I think it's a non-issue, many players handpass from a stationary position in packs, as well as kick from stationary positions. I wouldn't call Whitfield quick either. The issue seems to be whether they have intensity and can read the play, if you can read the play you'll know how to get to the ball, and Sheed knows how to do that. Richmond's been successful in recent times drafting midfielders and it's often ignored speed, which suggests that you can be a player on the slow side and still make it.

I know Notte has really started to show why he was so highly rated.
Any chance West Coast will select him again?
If he slips to rookie (some chance) will that be likely?

I doubt we'll take him again, with McGovern likely to be promoted I don't think we have the need for another tall on the list.

Think he'd be a good get some a team who needs some depth in the forward/ruck positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 9 – Carlton – Matt Crouch (MID)
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
Height: 181cm
Weight: 80kg
I think Carlton could use another tough ball winner in the middle, and Crouch fits the Billings. He is very good at the clearances and will link up well with the Murphy and Gibbs types who are better users of the footy. He can come in from day dot and have an immediate impact.

Just quick question mate.
Exactly where does Crouch fit into Billings? :p

Seriously though, I see one of our major needs as needing an inside midfielder with elite vision.
Someone who is very creative by hand and can open the play up for all those around him.

Who do you think would be the "best fit;)" to address these needs.

Would be very happy with Aish and Salem, but Mitch Harvey - although I can see the logic in the pick - is one I don't think we'd go for...
Pick 37 – St. Kilda – Mitch Harvey (KPF)
Club: North Adelaide
Height: 195cm
Weight: 95kg
Riewoldt is getting on, Kosi is gone, Maister isn’t much of a footballer etc. I see the key forward position as a spot where the Saints need to draft a bit more depth. Harvey would be a good option because he is already a very handy size and would be able to make an immediate impact if needed. Could be a good foil for Tom Lee in the coming years.
We already have the mentioned Lee (194kg 92cm), Rhys Stanley (200cm 96kg) and Spencer White (196cm 85kg) as forward options, with Maister (194cm 98kg) as depth as he's only 28 next year. Add to that Arryn Siposs (190cm 90kg), Dan Markworth (189cm 85kg) and Brodie Murdoch (188cm 80kg) as your 3rd tall-type options and I think we've got more pressing issues.

I'd be very happy with Harvey, but I think we'd be more likely to take a KPD like Giles or McStay instead if we go tall.

Would be very happy with Aish and Salem, but Mitch Harvey - although I can see the logic in the pick - is one I don't think we'd go for...

We already have the mentioned Lee (194kg 92cm), Rhys Stanley (200cm 96kg) and Spencer White (196cm 85kg) as forward options, with Maister (194cm 98kg) as depth as he's only 28 next year. Add to that Arryn Siposs (190cm 90kg), Dan Markworth (189cm 85kg) and Brodie Murdoch (188cm 80kg) as your 3rd tall-type options and I think we've got more pressing issues.

I'd be very happy with Harvey, but I think we'd be more likely to take a KPD like Giles or McStay instead if we go tall.

Stanley doesn't strike me as a natural full-time forward, Wilkes/Maister is crap, those 3rd tall options are irrelevant because Harvey wouldn't be competing with them for a spot. Think it's a spot where a bit more quality is needed. Just my take on your list.

Stanley doesn't strike me as a natural full-time forward, Wilkes/Maister is crap, those 3rd tall options are irrelevant because Harvey wouldn't be competing with them for a spot. Think it's a spot where a bit more quality is needed. Just my take on your list.

Don't disagree, but Lee will be FF, White hopefully CHF and Stanley will probably end up in that FP/2nd ruck role.

As I said, would be happy with Harvey, but think we need address the back half first...

Don't disagree, but Lee will be FF, White hopefully CHF and Stanley will probably end up in that FP/2nd ruck role.

As I said, would be happy with Harvey, but think we need address the back half first...

If Maister stays on your list why not have him as defensive depth instead? That's where he played his best footy with us.

If Maister stays on your list why not have him as defensive depth instead? That's where he played his best footy with us.

He's been tried down back for us and the best I can say about it is, as a backman he makes a great forward...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back